Is the economy in the DR worse than in the US?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
*I kid, I kid, but I'm hopeful that a little suffering, just a fraction of the REAL economic suffering my parents and grandparents went through (and YOUR family went through under Communism) will make the fat, slothful, lazy, mentally-entitled crybaby Americans think about "hardening the f@(k up" a little. 'Cuz they need it. The gubmint, even with Messianic "leaders" promising rainbow unicorns pooping free Gummi Bears at somebody else's expense, is incapable of solving their problems. Only each person can do that. As soon as that reality becomes embedded in society progress will begin to be made. But not before.
I'm quoting myself because of the irony of an op-ed I just read by one of my ATF semi-sarcastic "opinors", P.J. O'Rourke.

Highly recommend this be consumed:

Of Thee I Sigh: Baby Boomers Bust

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Wait just a second you are from Poland? The number one city in the world with the biggest polish population is Warsaw, care to take a guess what number two is? I know plenty of polish people with credit cards, debit cards, and they are in to fashion and materialistic items just like everyone else. Wow I can't believe you wrote this and your from Poland. I go to this polish bakery every Saturday and if I remember I am going to ask her and her husband have "credit" ever benefitted them and their business.
I grew up around a lot of polish people and one of my aunts had a polish boyfriend for along time and we called him uncle or tio. Wow I did not know you were polish.

chicago. i think it IS the number one polish city :)
you forget one thing. people who emigrated... well... they emigrated, you see? they learnt. they adapted.
at the time the communism fell i was a teenager. i have never been abroad, nor have my parents. all i knew about outside world came from movies and books. and i still remember. i remember the arrival of cola cola, i remember american sweets. i remember saving up for months to buy levi's jeans. i remember the first macdonalds, in warsaw, how jealous i was of friends who have been there and ate real american hamburger. ;) those were the days...
those, who emigrated... another story altogether. ask them about their lives in PL, before they left. if they remember, that is, because now most of polaks in chicago are americans, really, they were born there :)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
This is a serious question, I have been thinking about it lately and, I have come to the conclusion that the majority of people in the DR have a higher net worth than those in the US. They actually own their homes (no matter how sencilla they may be), own their motorcycle, but their food with cash, own their car outright, pay little to no property tax, and typically have considerable savings.

I have friends in the US who appear to be well off, but I can guarantee their net worth is actually negative. House on a 30 year mortgage with maybe 20% paid off, car is either a lease or bought with financing that has high interest rates, eating out and groceries are typically paid with credit cards until they get paid to pay them down. I almost feel like they are so leveraged that anyone lower-middle class or above in the DR actually is better off than they are. I understand credit here exists in the form of "fiando" but people are MUCH more likely to pay these off on time since their name is on the line. In the US people can go years ignoring their credit cards and just accumulate interest until it gets to a point where they just default.

Another point is people here that have absolutely no income eat MUCH better than their US counterparts. Healthy foods here are actually cheaper than processed food, and others are more likely to help them out. When we first started our internet business in the US, my buddy and I ate ramen noodles and McD double cheeseburgers everyday for 2$ per day, for 100 pesos a day here somebody can have one huge nutritious meal with a ton of vitamins and minerals. Maybe the idea that things here are so bad comes from the Dominican trait of over-exaggeration how bad things are.. ask any Dominican business owner how business is doing and you will get a very similar answer almost every time .. "Las cosas estan mal" "Pero estamo vivo gracias a Dios" "Ya tu sabe" .. Maybe it's all a hoax just to make us think it's worse than it REALLY IS!!?

Talking about people with leased cars and high APR fees does not prove your argument by a long shot.

Dominican Americans sends like 1 billion dollars a year to the Dominican Republic. Maybe you know something I don't but can you explain to me why are there such LONG lines at Vimenca?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
chicago. i think it IS the number one polish city :)
you forget one thing. people who emigrated... well... they emigrated, you see? they learnt. they adapted.
at the time the communism fell i was a teenager. i have never been abroad, nor have my parents. all i knew about outside world came from movies and books. and i still remember. i remember the arrival of cola cola, i remember american sweets. i remember saving up for months to buy levi's jeans. i remember the first macdonalds, in warsaw, how jealous i was of friends who have been there and ate real american hamburger. ;) those were the days...
those, who emigrated... another story altogether. ask them about their lives in PL, before they left. if they remember, that is, because now most of polaks in chicago are americans, really, they were born there :)

Growing up polish people owned like 98% of the buildings on my block. They were the ones with all the money. Very business minded people.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
Talking about people with leased cars and high APR fees does not prove your argument by a long shot.

Dominican Americans sends like 1 billion dollars a year to the Dominican Republic. Maybe you know something I don't but can you explain to me why are there such LONG lines at Vimenca?

Around 3.5 Billions

Mar 1, 2009
Sorry Johnnyboy, the truth hurts and DV8 is right on the money. Cha Ching! Where I live in the USA it don't even feel like their is any type of economic downturn. Spending is indeed just humming along. But I stopped eating carbs after 8pm so my belly isn't that fat anymore! How dare you woman, belittle my big belly!!!! ;)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
sdt-2012-08-22-Middle-Class-01-01.png

1010-nat-incomeweb.jpg

image026.gif

image036.gif

image040.gif

image042.gif

image050.gif

image056.gif

image060.gif

image064.gif

image068.gif

Last edited:

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Can you post the same information for DR . That is all the US stuff.
LOL

Olly and the Team

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Sorry Johnnyboy, the truth hurts and DV8 is right on the money. Cha Ching! Where I live in the USA it don't even feel like their is any type of economic downturn. Spending is indeed just humming along. But I stopped eating carbs after 8pm so my belly isn't that fat anymore! How dare you woman, belittle my big belly!!!! ;)

Thats what I meant too LOL. Yeah most people here spend like drunken sailors. But I do not have a fat belly.
6'1 195lbs 30 in waist. Yeah Fat Yanks put that in your pipe and smoke it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
[h=1]Exports of goods; services[/h]
chart.png

[h=1]Electricity production from natural gas sources (kWh) in Dominican Republic[/h]
chart.png

[h=1]Electric power consumption (kWh) in Dominican Republic[/h]
chart.png

Electricity production from hydroelectric sources (kWh) in Dominican Republic

chart.png

Electricity production from oil sources (% of total) in Dominican Republic

chart.png