It’s a fence, not a wall, says Migration director

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Which part of what you said, do you think cannot be applied to the RD
If you even have to ask something so ridiculous you are in serious, serious need of a plasectomy. That's where they insert a piece of clear plastic in your stomach so that you can see where you are going, because your head is so far up your butt.
say's he sitting comfortable in his Uvero Alto, Punta Cana bubble
I'm not sure what the problem is. Yes I am sitting comfortably in Uvero Alto. Why does that bother you. I'm also thinking we should start a poll to see how long you last before you are sent on vacation again.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
If you think the DR is as bad as Haiti, why are you still here. Or are you just another sock puppet sitting in a far away land with a negative opinion on everything?
If I live to be 100 I will never understand how you could even begin to compare the 2 countries.

Don't you call me a sock puppet.

I will remind you that I worked and lived in RD full time for four years, We have property in RD and spend at least 3 months per year here. I think I am entitled to comment here as much as you are. This "you don't live here" is always the attack when people here lose the discussion.

Reactions: Michael DR

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
The only true long term fix for Haiti is to get rid of it's government and put one in place that actually gives a shit about Haiti and not just filling their own pockets. Until the Haitian people do this nothing will change.

Greedy corrupt leaders are a dime a dozen. The people have to stand up for themselves at some point or continue to be abused by corrupt politicians.

I repeat my question. What part of the above you said, could not apply to the Republica Dominicana ?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Haiti needs a long term international intervention and investment. a new age Marshall plan.
the USA and EU along with any other willing partners would need to lead it, and probably should before it belongs to China, but that will never happen.....

the fence is needed for the D.R. and sounds like they want to utilize the latest technologies. will be a good investment for them.
Now we are talking.. a multi national coalition with complete recovery package.
I have been dwelling on this same topic for some time.

Reactions: PCMike

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
It is not a simple border security fence, it is a whole project, which contemplates technological advances, facial recognition, fingerprints, infrared cameras, equipment for the military and other security,” García Vargas emphasized during a tour of the northern border of Dajabón and southern Jimaní and Pedernales.

Whoever dreamed up those technological advances...needs to have their meds. adjusted.......

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you think the DR is as bad as Haiti, why are you still here. Or are you just another sock puppet sitting in a far away land with a negative opinion on everything?
If I live to be 100 I will never understand how you could even begin to compare the 2 countries.
Not here and always negative. Negative right down to the bone. Every post this week negative.

Reactions: melphis

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
The Dominican Republic has clearly had enough of them pouring across
their border unchecked and rightfully so. Haiti is going to have get their
sh*t together or choke to death on it.
Change? I suggest other governments start telling these folks like I tell these
aggressive bums in the street when they hit me up for change... change I ask them?
change comes from within my brother, change comes from withi
lo siento hijo, el cambio viene de adentro hacia afuera o el cambio solo viene en Cristo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Share that at every opportunity and you truly do the Lords work.

There was a Haitian beggar at the intersection outside our building, he was a nice boy, rougly 8 years old. I made a point of never giving him any money but I always told him the importance of studying and being a better person through Christ. I think about him often.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Anyone wondering if there are any differences between the two countries should speak to the Haitians living all over the DR. That is all the answer anyone would need.

A good way to start is: Why did you come here?

Then be quiet and listen.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Now we are talking.. a multi national coalition with complete recovery package.
I have been dwelling on this same topic for some time.
Even with that you still need buy in from the Haitians. There are a large group of criminals that would not cooperate. Then composition of the coalition would be very important due to the history of Haiti.

Reactions: Russell

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
lo siento hijo, el cambio viene de adentro hacia afuera o el cambio solo viene en Cristo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Share that at every opportunity and you truly do the Lords work.

There was a Haitian beggar at the intersection outside our building, he was a nice boy, rougly 8 years old. I made a point of never giving him any money but I always told him the importance of studying and being a better person through Christ. I think about him often.
Mythology discussions are not allowed on DR1.

Reactions: nigrarosa

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Even with that you still need buy in from the Haitians. There are a large group of criminals that would not cooperate. Then composition of the coalition would be very important due to the history of Haiti.
I agree , first the coalition dhould be able to verbally communicate "French" but Creole must be also spoken...there is a significant difference. A coalition of more than military strength..one of extreme humanitarian composition. All AID FUNDRAISING through special appointed finance office checked by appointed Auditor General .
Water , food, clothing . Medical and MICRO economic development .... it is a multi decade mission.
Many criminal elements both domestic and foreign need to be cleaned up and disposed of or controlled.
Now that my dream is over and i awake to reality ... not going to happen. At least in the time I have left on this side of the sod.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The reality of intervention in Haiti is that there is nothing to gain by that intervention. Nobody off this island is going to step in and clean up Haiti.
It is a fools errand to attempt. What would be left after the clean up? A non-functioning government and no infrastructure.

The DR realizes this and is building up protection at the border.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
“It’s a fence not a wall”

Then it is a terrible use of a visual accompanying the story.

It sure looks like a wall......with a fence on top.

Not the first time that the photo or headline contradicts or does not even relate to the story.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Call it what you want, a wall, a fence, a structure. By any definition it is a separation barrier to guard the border.

Reactions: Russell

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Who are the idiots up in here that fail to take the DRGOV at it's word?

"It is a fence not a wall".

Now unless someone is having a bad day...the English contained in that statement is clear.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It's not the border that needs securing.....
It's the people who man that border.

Haitians crossing " mountains " and sh.it, may happen, but I would guess the vast majority of illegals cross the same border at the same points as the legals....

I mean, don't you guys realise that illegal haitians in the DR go back on holiday to Haiti ?
Ok, maybe not holiday in the strict sense of the word, but they cross back and forth over the years to visit family, do administrative stuff, etc...
The going rate to get from Haiti to the cibao ( as that's where I am, so no idea for other places ) is 7k pesos.
That gets you a seat on a bus or a guagaua, through the border, past the checkpoints, with all your luggage, and everything is pre-arranged, no extra handouts or anything.

Lots of pudggy fingers eating out of that particular pie...... As if a fence or a wall will solve anything as long as the same people have the keys to the door. ..smh.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It's not the border that needs securing.....
It's the people who man that border.

Haitians crossing " mountains " and sh.it, may happen, but I would guess the vast majority of illegals cross the same border at the same points as the legals....

I mean, don't you guys realise that illegal haitians in the DR go back on holiday to Haiti ?
Ok, maybe not holiday in the strict sense of the word, but they cross back and forth over the years to visit family, do administrative stuff, etc...
The going rate to get from Haiti to the cibao ( as that's where I am, so no idea for other places ) is 7k pesos.
That gets you a seat on a bus or a guagaua, through the border, past the checkpoints, with all your luggage, and everything is pre-arranged, no extra handouts or anything.

Lots of pudggy fingers eating out of that particular pie...... As if a fence or a wall will solve anything as long as the same people have the keys to the door. ..smh.
I agree the people manning the border need help, and a fence will help.

I'm guessing you've never seen the videos of Haitians crossing the river at different points. All they have to do now is observe where soldiers are stationed, then walk down a quarter of a mile further and cross - sometimes dozens of them at a time.

Youtube has quite a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavok and Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
How many members of this webforum community do you believe have actually visited towns or municipalities along "la frontera"?
Of active participants, based on their own contributions, I would put the number somewhere around 10%.
The other 90% just do not have a clue.

Reactions: PCMike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How many members of this webforum community do you believe have actually visited towns or municipalities along "la frontera"?
Of active participants, based on their own contributions, I would put the number somewhere around 10%.
The other 90% just do not have a clue.
Agreed. I’ve been to la frontera, and I’ve been to Haiti several times. You didn’t ask how many actually know Haitians in the DR on a day to day basis, and I don’t mean buying fruit from them at a stoplight.