Jolly Roger only $399K in Sosua

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
400K on a leasehold is laughable in a town like Sosua.
How many times have the businesses on that strip been
forced to close their doors by the local government?
Yes especially if Willie has a competing business or the right politician was paid off because someone wanted a particular property?
Hint who occupies D'Latin now.

Reactions: CristoRey

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
400K on a leasehold is laughable in a town like Sosua.
How many times have the businesses on that strip been
forced to close their doors by the local government?
I remember a few years back they passed some by-law that the businesses couldn't put tables on the sidewalk anymore, it lasted for a few months, they do something like that again and half of your business is gone.

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
so who and where is danny
Danny owns(ed) a bar on the beach. I think it's called Malibu Beach Bar. He does information videos as well of points of interest.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I will be honest; I do not know much about the North Coast. I visit but I am not invested as many of you are. I find these threads interesting. There is a lot going on the North Coast.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
I can get beer in a bar in the US for less that $4.
OK not in NYC, San Diego, Austin or SF but there are plenty of places where you can - but not in many places in DR, almost not in the Colmado.
I hear this a lot, but you have to compare (like we say in Belgium) apples with apples and pears with pears. Yes I can get a bear cheaper in a small little sh*t town in Belgium in the middle of nowhere, but you have to compare that price with the price of beer in a little town here. If I go to drink a beer on the beach in Belgium, I pay a lot more than when I buy a beer on the beach in Pop or Sosua. You want to live in a tourist place on the beach but you only want to pay the price of a small little town in the middle of nowhere..... Common....
And then everybody complains that most businesses close.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Out of curiosity, have any of you been to Siblings in Puerto Plata? I keep seeing posts about it on FB.
347423015_743045777826914_89885909208299817_n.jpg
I go there a lot, in the afternoon it is nice and quite and you can get food right away (great food in some of the places and the price is great), in the evening it is always full, especially in the weekend, the same as the food place in the 27th

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
I hear this a lot, but you have to compare (like we say in Belgium) apples with apples and pears with pears. Yes I can get a bear cheaper in a small little sh*t town in Belgium in the middle of nowhere, but you have to compare that price with the price of beer in a little town here. If I go to drink a beer on the beach in Belgium, I pay a lot more than when I buy a beer on the beach in Pop or Sosua. You want to live in a tourist place on the beach but you only want to pay the price of a small little town in the middle of nowhere..... Common....
But a beer is the same price in Moca or La Vega and they're nowhere near the beach, nor tourist towns
Bars get a break on buying beer - but I think not much on their bottled beer.

And yes a person can get still get a beer in a bar/restaurant near a beach, even in parts of California, for less that $4 per bottle and better beer. No not in SF, LA or San Diego but up North along the Jenner coastline or around Bodega Bay or Mendocino. You need a wet suit to go in the ocean of course and it might be a hike down to the beach - but it's scenic.

And fresh clam chowder to kill for.

Most people I see in Jolly Roger are not beach going regulars, most are locals who live around Sosua - and the owners know them by name. Many Canadians.

Beer even in supermarkets anywhere in DR is overpriced (even domestic). A 12-pack of Modelo Especial or PBR in a Florida chain supermarkets can be bought for $15.50 (occasionally $3 less on sale). Maybe it's expensive here because water is so scarce in DR?

Reactions: XQT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I lived in a small little tourist place 20 years ago, when it had far more tourists than it does now, I paid far less for a beer relative to US prices than I do now.

I did not change my location during those 20 years, the "location" changed over time becoming more expensive. And so it goes.

Scarce water leads to high beer prices? That's a good one. I do miss a good clam chowder. Either style.

I had the fish and chips once at the JR, it did not compare to the one when Britannia was open.
Yes, the regulars at the JR do seem to be mostly from the Great White North. Most of them unaware of the
dangers of cigarette smoke to this day.

• Haha
Reactions: XQT and chico bill

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Out of curiosity, have any of you been to Siblings in Puerto Plata? I keep seeing posts about it on FB.
347423015_743045777826914_89885909208299817_n.jpg
I've been numerous times ...mostly with kids. It's a pleasant enough place with playgrounds. The problem is every 'restaurant' has their own menu , waiter, and finally cuenta. Definitely not fine dining, not for a relaxing dinner. But for what it is it's a fun place.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A former DR1 poster just told me Danny did sell his house in Casa Linda, the Malibu Beach Bar and went to Thailand with his Haitian girl friend.
So all is good for him. From Sosua to Thailand. Hmmm...

Now .. who was the sucker that bought the beach bar?

Reactions: XQT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When I lived in a small little tourist place 20 years ago, when it had far more tourists than it does now, I paid far less for a beer relative to US prices than I do now.

I did not change my location during those 20 years, the "location" changed over time becoming more expensive. And so it goes.

Scarce water leads to high beer prices? That's a good one. I do miss a good clam chowder. Either style.

I had the fish and chips once at the JR, it did not compare to the one when Britannia was open.
Yes, the regulars at the JR do seem to be mostly from the Great White North. Most of them unaware of the
dangers of cigarette smoke to this day.
Isn't the Britannia Ryan's place? Is it closed now?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Been to siblings many times, 212 pizza is the best pizza in this area in my opinion and you can get draft beer at the bar. Many different types of food, nice place.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Been to siblings many times, 212 pizza is the best pizza in this area in my opinion and you can get draft beer at the bar. Many different types of food, nice place.
I have had the pizza there. It is a 5, maybe a 6, out 10 for me.