Lance Armstrong cries

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
So, some of you think its okay to use performing enchancing drugs in sports, a level playing field for all?? For me, I think of what kind of example it sets for our children. Teaching them that doping is okay in order to win is just plain wrong!!! I am kinda surprised to hear some of these comments here.

Mrs YS

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Doesn't matter. It's a rule in cycling.

He can do anything he wants to his body. He just can't compete in sanctioned cycling events where certain drugs and enhancers are banned.

It is a rule in cycling. And he got away with it for a long time. Only now the truth is coming out after many years and many wins. The rule in cycling did not work . Prohibition in general does not work.

Those that decry that the children will be taking performance enhancing drugs if the pros are allowed to do so are naively missing the point that prohibition does not work.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So, some of you think its okay to use performing enchancing drugs in sports, a level playing field for all?? For me, I think of what kind of example it sets for our children. Teaching them that doping is okay in order to win is just plain wrong!!! I am kinda surprised to hear some of these comments here.

Mrs YS

It might seem all black and white but I'm sure 99% of all athletes are taking something to enhance their performance, whether it be creatin, vitamin injections, steroid precursors, protein shakes, blood tranfusion, etc. so where does one draw the line?

However, I am opposed to steroid use and have been for a long time even though I started powerlifting back in the 80's when steroids were possibly more commonly used than today.

Dec 26, 2011
It might seem all black and white but I'm sure 99% of all athletes are taking something to enhance their performance, whether it be creatin, vitamin injections, steroid precursors, protein shakes, blood tranfusion, etc. so where does one draw the line?

However, I am opposed to steroid use and have been for a long time even though I started powerlifting back in the 80's when steroids were possibly more commonly used than today.

99%?

Not 34% or 91%? 99%?

Vitamins and protein shakes are dietary issues. I'm out of my depth on this subject, but I understand that the illegal enhancements are clearly delineated. Isn't that the case?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
99%?

Not 34% or 91%? 99%?

Vitamins and protein shakes are dietary issues. I'm out of my depth on this subject, but I understand that the illegal enhancements are clearly delineated. Isn't that the case?

I'm sure there are a lot of definitions for what is performance enhancing substances or methods (like blood transfusions) but honestly they are moving targets. Furthremore, given I have little invested personally in this matter I think it is an objective observation to say anything that is artificially processed or created that enhances the bodies performance should be considered "performance enhancing". The fact is most if not all athletes are taking something and maybe they are legal today but in a couple of years they wouldn't be, hence the dilemma of trying to categorize these drugs.

Dec 26, 2011
I'm sure there are a lot of definitions for what is performance enhancing substances or methods (like blood transfusions) but honestly they are moving targets. Furthremore, given I have little invested personally in this matter I think it is an objective observation to say anything that is artificially processed or created that enhances the bodies performance should be considered "performance enhancing". The fact is most if not all athletes are taking something and maybe they are legal today but in a couple of years they wouldn't be, hence the dilemma of trying to categorize these drugs.

Moving targets?

Aren't there lists of prohibited substances?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It is a rule in cycling. And he got away with it for a long time. Only now the truth is coming out after many years and many wins. The rule in cycling did not work . Prohibition in general does not work.

Those that decry that the children will be taking performance enhancing drugs if the pros are allowed to do so are naively missing the point that prohibition does not work.
It's not about prohibition in sports. That's an entirely different topic.

And although financially set...for now, I'm waiting for a FLOOD of suits shortly, and a possible perjury indictment...he is paying an enormous societal price, one from which he will never recover.

When a man's honor is destroyed by his own making, he has little left. Money is a poor compensator for knowing that when almost everyone looks at you they are thinking "scumbag." I'd rather live poor but respected than rich and thought as scum.

Actions have consequences.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's not about prohibition in sports. That's an entirely different topic.

And although financially set...for now, I'm waiting for a FLOOD of suits shortly, and a possible perjury indictment...he is paying an enormous societal price, one from which he will never recover.

When a man's honor is destroyed by his own making, he has little left. Money is a poor compensator for knowing that when almost everyone looks at you they are thinking "scumbag." I'd rather live poor but respected than rich and thought as scum.

Actions have consequences.

That is all true. He may indeed feel badly over what he did. Or he may just justify it by telling himself that "everybody did it", true or not.

Will his former team mates be involved in those suits as well?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you are a bike racer and virtually all the other guys are doping and getting away with it tell me you are going to race clean and lose. Lance was just too good and won too much which brought all the attention and made him a target. If he had only won the tour once or twice he would be fine and no one would care but seven times?

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Moving targets?

Aren't there lists of prohibited substances?

Yes, there are lists of prohibited substances. My daughter was a national figureskater and in this sport they not only make you well aware of it, but hand out books to athletes describing in detail what is NOT allowed.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
USADA "80 percent of the medal winners between 1996 and 2010 have been tainted by doping". As a clean athlete how do you compete against that much drug use? You join em!

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
USADA "80 percent of the medal winners between 1996 and 2010 have been tainted by doping". As a clean athlete how do you compete against that much drug use? You join em!

Those numbers are pretty high. I would venture to say that in Canada our numbers are much much lower. Besides that, 2 wrongs don`t make a right!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
World needs to get off its high horse. Man did what he needed to do to earn as much money as he could to better take care of his family. good for him. too bad he got caught.

Is he not married to cheryl crowe? Whos looking after who?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I never understood the worlds problem with steroid and athletes using them. If you care so little about your health and future that you're willing to risk all these negatives just so you can get a SLIGHT edge, then go for it. and if you happen to win and it is because you took more risk with your future health then so be it. You still won.

Top class sports are so closely competed the tiny edge makes a huge difference. What if they were to take all restrictions off Formula 1 cars, within a few years they would be literally flying around the track and the skill of the sportsman is reduced. Same as in doping, for everything that a drug gains it takes away the natural ability of the person. If they allowed doping in sports then we would have super humans 9 foot tall running the 100mtr in 3 seconds and power lifters picking up cars. Modern methods are so advanced that it would be crazy to think what could be achieved if it had all that money involved in the motivation to create super humans, the chinese would probably start farming gymnasts from test tubes and the Russians introducing bionics into weight lifting.

And yes, he destroyed quite a few peoples lives of which they can not return to, he should get time, and maybe will if he lied in court when suing these people.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

That prohibition is really working, isn't it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That ship has sailed. His lack of integrity was seen when he left the wife that stood by him during ball cancer for Crow. He then ditched Crow after three months of engagement.

Time for a song:

[video=youtube;lphB-z6AuL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lphB-z6AuL0[/video]