Lately I have noticed many people want to move to DR. I am just curius as to why?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
nyjcr said:
Great post Robert...
I happen to know a couple of "non-dominican" people who are planning to move there, like the previous member said, everybody has their own reason.

Robert, may I inquire, are you Dominican?

Nope, from England.

british_girl

Apr 9, 2005
Pienso que ?stos son las razones principales.. _personas m?s agradables _los costos m?s baratos y m?s barato
vivir _tiempo hermoso _ vivir sano

En t?rminos generales, yo pienso que la mayor?a de las personas que quieren en mover a la Rep?blica Dominicana considera los otros factores que quiz? no son tan buenas, pero el positivo parece pesar m?s que el negativo.

Especialmente, cuando usted ha ganado suficiente dinero en casa y se jubilan en la Rep?blica Dominicana, entonces usted no tendr? necesidad de preocuparse por ganar menos porque usted puede proporcionar para vivir f?cilmente.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Robert said:
Let me add...

When your young and independent, the worst thing you can really loose here is time, the $$$ are replaceable. Whatever way you look at it, often the experience far exceeds the loss of a few months or the odd year and $$$.

What do they say, success is a journey, not a destination?
All I can tell you is this... This country is truly an amazing destination and really enhances the journey.

If you can survive the initial obstacles, you will do fine. The great thing about DR1 and it's posters, is that it identifies most of these obstacles and often offers solutions on how to overcome them. An invaluable resource that some people should really exploit a lot more than they do.

One of my goals aside from helping develop DR1, is to set up an environment that allows small web based businesses to re-locate to the DR, survive and prosper all under one roof (office space/building). A roof that provides the support structure, infrastructure and collective knowledge to help make their businesses a success. This type of environment or incubator concept breeds great ideas and is very "dooable" in the DR. Already we have 4-5 small web based businesses that I know of that are doing well and growing in either Santo Domingo or Santiago.

Santo Domingo in my opinion is a great city for this type of "under one roof" venture. It offers good connectivity, first world living standards, great lifestyle and when you combine that with a strong support network, it can be a wonderful city to live and work in.

Ok, enough of my ramblings...

"success is a journey not a destination". Got to remember this catchy phrase and I've always felt this to be the case, especially for those like myself who're far away from retirement age. I mean, so-called successfull people can loose everything they own and go bankrupt in no time flat. So, achieving and maintaining success is an everyday endeavor. Not to mention that true success isn't always measured by how much money ones has in the bank etc..

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
All,
I'm a late comer to this topic, but I've a few things to add. After two week trips per annum to the DR, I'm one of those that returns to the u.s with reckless thoughts of giving up everything that I own and moving to the DR permanently. Sometimes I'm quite sick to be back state-side falling into my day to day routines. I miss the warm smiles & hellos from total strangers in the DR, that you never get in the the u.s.(my area anyways). Not to mention the beautifull beaches, weather and much slower pace of life. Then, reality sets in and I remind myself of how difficult it is for a man my age to earn a decent living in the DR. Seriously, ponder the multitudes of dominicans that go through hell and high water to make it to the u.s. or canada. There's a reason for this.

I've never possessed any entrapanuerial zeal or accumen, so that's out the window and from reasearch, I've assertained that my skill set isn't marketable or applicable in the DR.

In addition to the above, I'd like point out that I think that golo and criss colon offer some sobering and rather priceless advice, for those us considering the move. The fact of the matter is that many americans and europeans aren't tough enough or street-wise enough to really make it in the DR. Our organized and structured lifestyles have pampered us and one needs to re-create themselves to adapt to the DR full time. Moreover, most of the services & institutions that we take for granted in the u.s. don't exist or are rather shotty in the DR.

My fellow americans have a bad habit of assuming that their american citizenship is a shield that protects them from scams or harm wherever they go. Others think that they're smarter than people living in countries like the DR and could never be taken advantage of by them. This is far from the truth!

carl e.

Last edited:

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
As close as the dominican republic is located to my country I've never had any inclination to going until friends of minds who've visited the DR came back with and urgency to return.
In 2002 I've made my first visit and absolutely loved it. The first time I was there for just one day. First trips are always the most impressionable. I didn't even plan the trip. I was driving in the direction of the airport and Istill had my passport in my car from a trip to Nassau, Bahamas. I thought to myself goodness why not.

My friends had mentioned that the people over there are friendly to foreigners and that everything is cheap over there.....and beers are like only a dollar. Often enough you will see girls that are eye candies.
I've came the same conclusion on my first visit, then i've visiting up to six times a year.
I've done quite a bit of the country so far having visited Sosua, Puerta plata, Santiago, La Vega, Santo Domingo and Boca Chica.
I don't particularly like Santo Domingo, Boca Chica, Puerta Plata.
I now alway visit Santiago and Sosua. My last trip which was February of this year things didn't really seem cheap anymore, Still way cheaper than Turks and Caicos except for vehicles, cosmetics and electronics.

My reasons for wanting to live over there are:(of the top of my head):
- cost of living
- lifestyle/social
- very accessible toTCI
- beautiful ladies
- sizable island (country)
- diversity

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
Freedom

the way I see it the united states is getting worse by the minute, from the sucky president to fuels going sky rocket, it makes you wonder and think what is the point of woking and living here if all your money goes to taxes and retirement that you will never see because the jobs here wear you down before you get to enjoy life....D.R is a beautiful island that has a care-free attitude you just feel more free there....and what you invest over there will not come with a gazilion surcharges for the goverment.....I am moving hopefully by the end of december to go live to santo domingo....I just see things by the minute getting worse and I dont want this goverment to keep running my life the way they are ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Are you crazy

davoucci19 said:
the way I see it the united states is getting worse by the minute, from the sucky president to fuels going sky rocket, it makes you wonder and think what is the point of woking and living here if all your money goes to taxes and retirement that you will never see because the jobs here wear you down before you get to enjoy life....D.R is a beautiful island that has a care-free attitude you just feel more free there....and what you invest over there will not come with a gazilion surcharges for the goverment.....I am moving hopefully by the end of december to go live to santo domingo....I just see things by the minute getting worse and I dont want this goverment to keep running my life the way they are ;)

The dr is for people that made their money elsewhere to retire in the country. The USA still has the best land of opportunity by far. Example... pick a Canadian or any other country against the USA... working 20 years for a major corporation or government for that matter and nobody has a retirement benefits like the USA. And if you're self-employed.... USA is even better if you know how to invest.

As far as Bush (oil) yes he has a lot of pockets to fill. That's what got him elected. :cry:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
davoucci19 said:

I wasn't going to reply to this, but I can't help myself. :glasses:

I love the DR too, and I think the Dominican people are wonderful, but, I am not ready to toss the USA onto the trash heap of history just yet.

Reread some of the posts here written by those who actually live in the DR 24/7/365. It is easy to mistake the care-free attitude and the warm climate for heaven on earth.

Bush and the conservative right in American; well the political situation in the DR is very problematic as well; and the level of corruption, whether it's gratuities to the Policia or officers at the airport when bringing in or leaving with legitimate cargo, or to simply do business without harrassment, is something we really don't tolerate in the USA.

Oil and gas prices in American; well we've gotten away with low fuel prices for far too long don't you think, gorging ourselves with inefficient vehicles and failing to implement even rudimentary conservation measures. But look at what is going on in the DR. The price of gasoline is arbitrarily high, and the problems with obtaining basic electric and utility services and refuse disposal have been a constant discussion in this Forum.

When you leave the airplane upon arrival in the DR, you leave the US Constitution at the door. The system and rule of law and due process in the DR, as in most developing countries, is still evolving and doesn't come close to the protections we take for granted in the USA. We have labor and employment laws we can easily access for unfair labor practices. And we have a health care and retirement system in the USA that we feel is our entitlement. Is there anything similar in the DR for workers and retirees and those in need of health care? I doubt it. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

I love visiting the DR and I love the people that I have met and have developed long term friendships with. I've been traveling throughout the country for a little more than six years now, and I've made it my home away from home. But, I'm not rushing to uproot and move to the DR permanently [although six months out of the year might be nice ;) ].

All I can say is that you had better seriously know what you are doing if you intend to make that move, and you had better be making that move for the right reason. And with all due respect, escaping the challenges of life in the USA doesn't sound to me like the right reason.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Ps

Now that I'm on my soapbox :rambo: Just on more thing:

We need every able-bodied, and not so able-bodied, American to change things in this country and not to leave in frustration and dispair. We can help the Dominican Republic accomplish some great things from right here and, in the process, make this world a better place for all of us. I, for one, am not ready to run up a white flag and surrender to the idiots who have a temporary hold over most of the reigns of power in the US.

Let's roll up our sleaves and get busy! As one man said in an airplane doomed to die on 9/11, "Lets roll!"

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
RonS said:
....with all due respect, escaping the challenges of life in the USA doesn't sound to me like the right reason.

I have to agree. My personal reason for coming down here to live was to find the challenges that were lacking in my all too easy and comfortable "American" lifestyle. To say that life in Santo Domingo is a challenge would be a gross understatement of the facts. :pirate:

DoMIniCanDivA88

Apr 21, 2005
stallion said:
Lately I have seen threads started up by members from all over the world, wanting to relocate to DR. I just wanted to ask some of those people as to why they want to live in the DR?. I mean first you will earn alot less money than you are earning now. And there are no good jobs. I know some have retired and some want to be with their lovers. What would be other reason if any. I just wanted to hear some input. Thanks all
Well at the time when Bush was relected I did said that I wanna move to the D.R ...theres too much violents...and you can't barely get a J.O.B, so whats the point??

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
Oh how I miss it

carl ericson70 said:
All,
I'm a late comer to this topic, but I've a few things to add. After two week trips per annum to the DR, I'm one of those that returns to the u.s with reckless thoughts of giving up everything that I own and moving to the DR permanently. Sometimes I'm quite sick to be back state-side falling into my day to day routines. I miss the warm smiles & hellos from total strangers in the DR, that you never get in the the u.s.(my area anyways). Not to mention the beautifull beaches, weather and much slower pace of life. Then, reality sets in and I remind myself of how difficult it is for a man my age to earn a decent living in the DR. Seriously, ponder the multitudes of dominicans that go through hell and high water to make it to the u.s. or canada. There's a reason for this.

I've never possessed any entrapanuerial zeal or accumen, so that's out the window and from reasearch, I've assertained that my skill set isn't marketable or applicable in the DR.

In addition to the above, I'd like point out that I think that golo and criss colon offer some sobering and rather priceless advice, for those us considering the move. The fact of the matter is that many americans and europeans aren't tough enough or street-wise enough to really make it in the DR. Our organized and structured lifestyles have pampered us and one needs to re-create themselves to adapt to the DR full time. Moreover, most of the services & institutions that we take for granted in the u.s. don't exist or are rather shotty in the DR.

My fellow americans have a bad habit of assuming that their american citizenship is a shield that protects them from scams or harm wherever they go. Others think that they're smarter than people living in countries like the DR and could never be taken advantage of by them. This is far from the truth!

carl e.

As I have just returned from Cabeza De Toro (AGAIN) only a week ago I too miss all of the warmth from the people and I am having a terrible time accepting the day to day humdrum of stateside. I was glad to read that there is someone else that goes through this depression state of returning. So then maybe I am NOT SO OFF after all. Thanks Carl :)

johnsenior

Sep 6, 2004
Against all odds I am moving to the DR!

For some time I have been reading DR1 and have visited the DR on several occassions. Like many I fell in love with the country and it's people (or at least the North Coast, since that's the only area I know). Sure there are things I did not particularly enjoy, cochroaches, stray dogs (I'm paranoid about dogs from being bitten as a child, "tourista" from too much sun and Presidente, excessive sweating from the sun and heat, crazy driving and roads not to mention unmaintained streets and sidewalks in certain areas, potential for violence, inconsistent laws if any, etc.

On my return to Canada after the first visit (4 years ago) I became obsessed with the idea of moving to the DR (and yes the chicas did play a role in this). Initially I believed it would be cheaper to live there but DR1 and personal discussions with Xpats soon exposed the not so cheap living environment. I then reconsidered and convinced myself that I would not move unless I could live the same lifestyle as I live here in Canada.

Unfortunately because of a costly divorce I would need to work another 8-10 years in Canada to possess suficient pension income to be comfortable in the DR. That would place me in the 66 to 68 age group. No way!! There is nothing wrong with living in Canada, except maybe for the winter months but I need a drastic change NOW.

After spending two weeks in the DR during April this year I returned to Canada and this time against all odds decided it was time to make a decision, and I did. Call me crazy, irresponsible or whatever as did many of my co-workers but I decided at 58 that I had enough and handed in my resignation for September 30 this year. In mid October or at the latest early November I will be in the DR looking for an apartment for 6 months.

I fully realize that the pension income that I will have available is insufficient to live the tourist life in the DR and is less than the recomended level of income suggested by DR1 members but you only live once and I need to live this dream. I may have to look for work to supplement my income but so be it. In any case I plan on returning to Canada for the summer months to work and replenish my limited nest egg.

Should things not work out as expected I can always try Mexico, Cuba or even Costa Rica the following years. Dream, maybe, but then I am the only one responsible for the decision and it has no impact on anyone other than myself. I've been in difficult situations before and I'm ready to face more difficulties if that is what awaits me in the DR.

Sorry about the long post but I'm so excited about making this decision that I wanted to write about it.

John H

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Wish You Well!

Just remember when it comes to finding a "Girlfriend",you are the "Prize Catch",NOT her! Soooooooooooooooo,if you find a girl you like,(Better NOT be a "Working Girl!) she will be way too smart for you!But a young girl with no kids who works in a: supermarket,bank,as a secretary,in a cafeteria,etc.

The "RIGHT" girl,if she really "cares" for you,at least a "little", will be willing to live with you just to share your "Room & Board",buy her some clothes and "toilet articles"and go out to a simple dominican restaurant for dinner,and a movie or dancing on Sunday!!!!
If she starts the, "My mother is sick" routine,or "I want a stove and bed for my own apt."! Drop her like a heavy object!!!!!!!!
If I have learned anything here,about "Girlfriends",it is that they will "like" you the same amount (Whatever That IS!) if you give them a "Car",or a pair of shoes! They will gladly take the car,and all your "Nest Egg" if you are foolish enough to "share" them.But a real girlfriend will stay with you just to be "Taken Care Of"!)The girls who are with you just for what they can "GET",won't stay around long if you are "Frugal".The girls who want a companion to be with will stay!Dominican women like to be in a relationship,so there is a man to maintain and protect her.
Just remember that in Dominican Society,the man is 100% in control of the relationship,and the women like it that way! I can just hear all the "North American women groaning,or worse!That in NO WAY means that the man has any right to be abusive in any shape or form,just that he is looked to,and expected to be, the decision maker.It is a society where the sexes know their role,and play them well!
Works pretty good.
Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Memon7

Aug 4, 2005
Wwooooooooowwwwwwwwwww...

mojo*mojo said:
I wanted to reply both to Robert's and CT's posts. I am a single 26 year old gringa plotting her escape from Corporate America with one of girlfriends from college. We're still kicking around where to spend a little time, and the DR is definitely on the short list. I will likely remain with my company, but work online and therefore remotely on a part-time, cubicle-free basis.

My reasons are not unlike that of CT and his family. I live in Chicago, where it is dark and cold and I spend most of the year leaving the house in darkness and returning in darkness, after spending the daylight under fluorescent lights. I don't have a family, no one in my office does, because the "unrequired" but requisite 60 hour weeks would not permit that. Oh, and I work a second job, teaching part time at a local college. I don't want this life, no matter how much money or how fast I could climb the corporate ladder. I want children, and I want to raise them. I want to be surrounded by people who are generally satisifed, not having existential crises about their jobs.

With the lower overhead and an opportunity to make a decent (though reduced) wage working less hours, the warmer climate and warmer culture is almost the icing on the expat's cake.

I know that there are many obstacles and difficulties surrounding what my friend and I are about to do, but to me, life is about quality. One's definition of quality likely varies widely from another's. More than anything, I have the time and freedom and opportunity to make this move, so it's more a question of "why not" than "why" :glasses:

And yes, I never want to endure another Chicago winter. Or ANY winter for that matter. A lifetime spent so far in Rhode Island, Maine, Iowa, and Illinois has cured me of any romanticism toward snow, ice, or freezing temperatures for the rest of my life.

Fianlly I come accross a thread from a person who shares my very sentiment as pertaining to the reason I want to leave the US. Instead of someone referrring my move as "escaping"... here we have a lady pretty much taking the words (and feelings) right out of my head!

Yes I feel the same way. I'm a little tired of fast lifestyle here where it's dog-eat-dog, and everyone is only thinking about what's in their wallets, back accoint, and what kind of car they drive... then trying to measure all that as some sort of personal success(?).

I always knew that there was a better life outside the US... and I might add that the true life and the pleasures therein and best noticed when one has little! Kinda like having 20 suits in the closet versus one suit... the decision are less stressing when your scope of choosing is less.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
North Coast is my destination in January

I have just retired. On my 56th birthday this June I finally gained my freedom from the working world. I have been going to the DR 2 to 3 times a year for the last 10 years. I have made several friends with Canadian and British people who live there permanently. The palm trees, the sun, the people, merenque, etc will finally be mine for more than a few weeks. I shall start off slowly - spending January and Feb. of 2006 in PP. I do not wish to live lower than I live in Canada and since I have a monthly pension, I should be quite comfortable. The summers in Canada (especially this year) are just as hot as the DR so I shall return home each spring. I just want to relax and get away from the snow anf cold.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
2 years to go and counting

I have been traveling to the DR for 11 years. I have made many friends from around the world that I keep in touch with everyday. I worked as a corrections officer since 1982 and will retire on August 16, 2007. Also for many of these earlier years I had a roofing and siding business. I busted my backside because I knew what I wanted to do a long time ago. I was going to live in the DR. After banking money, investing in a few pieces of real estate, stashing money in deferred compensation plans as well as my 50% of top salary pension from my civil service job I am just about ready to live the life I have worked so hard for. I had the vision of what I wanted a long time ago and worked for it. Over the years in the DR I have invested in several properties and a furniture business with honorable Dominicans as partners. Money actually goes "into" the bank!

I am friends with Dominican doctors, lawyers, military generals,teachers, and business owners. These people are intelligent and cultured. They live in very nice homes with central a/c and maid's quarters, drive brand new cars and travel to New York, Miami or San Juan to go on vacation. They have their own money and visas to the states and don't need mine. They even speak English! However, I just didn't make friends with these people in one or two trips to the Dominican Republic, it took years!

You will not find these people easily. You will need to understand Spanish and the Dominican culture. You will not find these people hanging out in a disco, tipico or on the beach changing money. Sure, I am not making fun of these people because I have met many nice people that do these things. I am just saying that to live a successful life in the Dominican Republic you must surround yourself with successful people, preferably Dominicans. Yeah, I can see it now. Many of the ex-pats are thumping their keyboards right now. Of course there are many, many nice people that are ex-pats! I have met my share of nice ones and I have met my share of liars and thieves. I have been approached by many ex-pats with all types of investment offers. Look at where many of these investments are today? They either never happened or your investment went in their pockets or is floating some other scam. Other then my very good friend Lou at the New York Shark Bar www.newyorksharkbar.com I have not as of yet made a buck from an ex-pat but I have from a Dominican.

Moving to the DR is not as simple as moving to another town in the US, Canada, England or any other country for that matter. You must have insight as to what you want to do when you move there. I mean, to think that you will live your life as if you are on vacation isn't even realistic. You would be broke, dead or pretty close to it in no time. Other people decide to live here in the DR and work as a waitress, bartender whatever and find that "oh crap, I can't live on $300 or $400 bucks a month working 12 hours a day". The answer to this is "no kidding". Sure, I personally know many ex-pats that live and work in the DR. Some actually do well and I am very happy and proud of them. This is what life is all about, happiness! But I also know many that are living in shacks in very dangerous barrios and I know that they are not living too well!

I commend anyone that wishes to live here! It is a paradise! But there are many things people should realize about moving to a country where everything is completely different from the language to the culture then what they are used to.

There is an old saying that goes around and around down in the DR. "If you want to leave the DR with a million dollars bring three million".

Prepare, do your homework if you wish to truly enjoy your life in the Dominican Republic! Good luck to you all!

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Ice in my drink

Charlielyn said:
I have just retired. On my 56th birthday this June I finally gained my freedom from the working world. I have been going to the DR 2 to 3 times a year for the last 10 years. I have made several friends with Canadian and British people who live there permanently. The palm trees, the sun, the people, merenque, etc will finally be mine for more than a few weeks. I shall start off slowly - spending January and Feb. of 2006 in PP. I do not wish to live lower than I live in Canada and since I have a monthly pension, I should be quite comfortable. The summers in Canada (especially this year) are just as hot as the DR so I shall return home each spring. I just want to relax and get away from the snow anf cold.

I am with you completely on that notion. The only time I ever want to see an ice cube is in the middle of my drink!

aangelisnice

Feb 8, 2005
why????

I'll post the reason I have already posted in my new thread.... To learn genuine Bachata and play crib.... good a reason as any I figure... Angel

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Just my observation...but I did not enjoy the island at all!

I notice that there are two D.R.'s the island of hispanola, and the island natives who live in the U.S. in D.R. over 8 million in the U.S. about 2 million 8 hundred...that's alot of Dominican's living outside of paradise wounldn't you say!! and that did not include P.R. look there is nothing like seeing smart and civilized Dominicans like the majority you see in the states but in the island these people are a whole different animal things down there are just not morally right! and the more things they want to change the more things stay the same.

I also believed at one time that D.R. was the ultimate in peaceful living but when I made the move, boy was I in for a rude awakening..I had vacationed there, and I have family living there now, but I knew this place by any means was no paradise...I won't even begin to explain all the disfunctionalities and abnormal situations I encountered in just a matter of weeks living there.. but I was definately shocked and disappionted...I mean I know the country has it's problems an all but not like that!! look D.R. has alot of down time, which was peaceful to say the least, and I give it that,yes the beaches beautiful, the tropical fruits tummy!, the weather awesome, cheap liquor o.k....but I found out why things are the way they are in the U.S. and why I had to move my family back home immediately..
Golo and Chris Colon do not speak to critisize, they speak out of fustratration and they speak the truth! Hey there are different strokes for different folks for those of you who love the third world experience go for it it is an experience, if watching pain and suffering of poor children beg and walk the streets don't matter to you much swell... and if you like locking yourself up like a prisoner in your own home and call this living, so be it, but people PARADISE!! please any country that does not put there children, God, there education and there Health, as priorty... can never be given the label of a paradise..ever! D.R. despite there are some people successful there is definately alternative and that's all it it is.