lazy assholes

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
its not growing disheartened its being realistic. Uh, what candidate is going to do some good? The faces of the thieves change but not much else. Its cultural. How do you change the culture? Dont expect much and you will not be surprised.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
its not growing disheartened its being realistic. Uh, what candidate is going to do some good? The faces of the thieves change but not much else. Its cultural. How do you change the culture? Dont expect much and you will not be surprised.

there was a time when i used to get exasperated at certain head-scratching things i saw here. now, i just go with the flow. you can't change it. you can't fix it. when you go into a colmado at 8.30 in the morning, and a guy is on his second grande, complaining how hard things are, and how terrible the government is, take your cue from that.

Aug 6, 2006
aww, don't be so negative, XO. foreigners will tell you that these people have nothing, but they are HAPPY.
==========================================================
They may not be happy all the time, but they seem no more unhappy than my neighbors here in Miami. No one seems to be afraid they can't make their sar payments or that they will be evicted because they could not pay the rent. They tell me that all the houses in the neighborhood belong to one or anothrer member of the family that lives in Azua or Santo Domingo. They may threaten to evict a relative. but this seems never to have happened.

Here in Miami furniture and cars are repossessed rather often, and people are evicted.

I am not trying to be negative. Perhaps there is a way to provide the huge number of Barahoneros with some sort of useful and adequate employment. I simply am saying that if I were a politicians there, I have no idea how I could improve things there. Of course, I am not as familiar with Barahona or its people as someone who has lived there all his/her life.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They are especially happy watching their kids die because they can't afford medical treatment!!!!!
The ain't "Happy" they are "Resigned"!!!!!!!
Their "VASO is "Half Full", not "Half Empty"!
They don't get upset when the "Power" is off, they just cheer when it comes back on!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They are especially happy watching their kids die because they can't afford medical treatment!!!!!
The ain't "Happy" they are "Resigned"!!!!!!!
Their "VASO is "Half Full", not "Half Empty"!
They don't get upset when the "Power" is off, they just cheer when it comes back on!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sometimes you make brilliant observations. the rest of the time..well.

Aug 6, 2006
I don't know of anyone's kids dying. A neighbor, a guy named David, about 60 years old has an idiot child who is around 15 and unable to talk of dress himself. The neighbor is a housepainter and a pretty cheerful fellow. I was planning to paint the house, but David was so enthusiastic about it, scraping the concrete and such that I gave him the job. To prime and paint the house inside and out took about 15 hours, spread over three days and he was happy to do it for $3300 pesos. I did the taping and some of the painting, but David did all the really hard work.

My observation is that the one true statement of most people nearly everywhere is that "The average man lives a life of quiet desperation."

The actual agreed price was $3000, but he asked me for $100 at the end of each day, which seemed fair. My guess is that if I were Dominican, $2000 would have been the charge. But thirty bucks is no big deal for me.

When the power goes off, everyone groans. Then they laugh at all the groaning. When it comes back on, everyone cheers.

CC seems to simplify things a bit too much. He is not into subtlety, I have noticed.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
You should have paid 2000. You are disturbing the market. Things were great here before the tourist started arriving by masses.

I don't know of anyone's kids dying. A neighbor, a guy named David, about 60 years old has an idiot child who is around 15 and unable to talk of dress himself. The neighbor is a housepainter and a pretty cheerful fellow. I was planning to paint the house, but David was so enthusiastic about it, scraping the concrete and such that I gave him the job. To prime and paint the house inside and out took about 15 hours, spread over three days and he was happy to do it for $3300 pesos. I did the taping and some of the painting, but David did all the really hard work.

My observation is that the one true statement of most people nearly everywhere is that "The average man lives a life of quiet desperation."

The actual agreed price was $3000, but he asked me for $100 at the end of each day, which seemed fair. My guess is that if I were Dominican, $2000 would have been the charge. But thirty bucks is no big deal for me.

When the power goes off, everyone groans. Then they laugh at all the groaning. When it comes back on, everyone cheers.

CC seems to simplify things a bit too much. He is not into subtlety, I have noticed.

Aug 6, 2006
One rarely sees no tourists in Barahona, and there are none in Palmerito. All the people that look like me here are either with the Cuerpo de Paz or something like Allelulya Ministries, Inc. We are talking about $27.75, you realize that, I suppose. I doubt that I will corrupt the market all that much. I have seen demands for a $40 tip for mediocre meals for five at snooty Miami Beach pseudo gourmet restaurants.

There is a Swiss expatriate here who used to be some sort of exec for Johnson & Johnson in Switzerland. His name is Werner, but everyone calls him Bruno.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Gringo Price

You should have paid 2000. You are disturbing the market.

No.
He paid a neighbour and if you let him know that you very well know that you paid a 'gringo price', it may be that you get something in return (Yes, it does happen!).

donP

Aug 6, 2006
When David finished, there was still a small triangle of gray cement unpainted that he could not reach with the roller. When I pointed this out, he climbed up on the roof and primed and painted not just the small triangle I mentioned, but every bit of gray cement on the entire roof.

I think that having a neighbor having a good attitude about me is probably worth $27.75 extra. David told me that his regular price was $4000. I don't think I believe that, but I do not think I have queered the market for gringos fixing up their houses in Palmerito.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2006
I have been trying for half an hour to put a photo from tinypics here, but either it does not copy at all, or it is the wrong photo printed too large. I have successfully posted it in another forum, but I am told that time has run out to edit this post.

If anyone knows what I need to do to do this right, please let me know, thanks.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Something is wrong......

When you are walking in a neighborhood in Santiago
and a very young child looks up at you with begging eyes,
asking for the partial bottle of water you are drinking.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"XO",....Nice tin house!
If you lived here, or could read a Dominican newspaper, you would see all the "Crying Parents" looking for help to save their dying children in desperate need of life saving medical treatment, that they can't afford!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Make a new post, and down load the picture.
How's THAT????

Aug 6, 2006
Make a new post, and down load the picture.
How's THAT????

=========================================
Not all that helpful. I do not understand how to post a normal sized picture. I erased the same post and reposted about a dozen times with the same results. I am using a program named tinypics, so perhaps someone more familiar than I with this might be able to say something actually useful.

I can read all sorts of sad stories in the Miami Herald and I can access and read the Listin Diario and several other Santo Domingo newspapers online from right where I am.

The wooden structure is not my house. That is the housepainter's house. My house is the CBS cement structure to the right.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Choose "Resize" and pick the option you see highlighted in blue.

ao9f5z.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how many times i have to say this? the image must be less that 100 kb.

easy, you see?

2podwcw.jpg

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Follow the instruction in my previous post:

2vct177.jpg

Then use the black highlighted field option to post the picture:

6ekryh.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
I tried resizing it several times, always with the same result.
I do not seem to have the ability to tell a picture of more than 100 kb than one of a larger size. I can easily tell a regular or a grande from a Jumbo, but photos are more esoteric.

At least now you see the picture of the nicely painted house. I do not know whether it was loaded by me or by Lothario, but anyway, there it is. Thank you for your help.

I did what you said, but I do not know whether it finally posted due to my effort or yours.

It does have the traditional tin roof, but one does nor see much tin in the photo. Some of the roof panels seem to be made of something that I have been told is better than "cinc" because it does not rust, ever and that you can no longer buy anywhere. I suspect it might be asbestos, which was all the rage in Guatemala in the 1970's.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I tried resizing it several times, always with the same result.
I do not seem to have the ability to tell a picture of more than 100 kb than one of a larger size. I can easily tell a regular or a grande from a Jumbo, but photos are more esoteric.

At least now you see the picture of the nicely painted house. I do not know whether it was loaded by me or by Lothario, but anyway, there it is. Thank you for your help.

I did what you said, but I do not know whether it finally posted due to my effort or yours.

It does have the traditional tin roof, but one does nor see much tin in the photo. Some of the roof panels seem to be made of something that I have been told is better than "cinc" because it does not rust, ever and that you can no longer buy anywhere. I suspect it might be asbestos, which was all the rage in Guatemala in the 1970's.

If your name is not on the post, then you are not the one that posted it.....