lazy assholes

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mofongo", you forgot "Lynn", Mass.!!!!!!
My sister lives in Lynn.
Every HUGE dominican family lives in "Section 8 Housing", Has an "Electronic Benefits Card",gets free health care, and drives a 2015 "Yepetta'!

"Berry BERRY Gud" if you ask me!!!!!
It's now much better to "Vote For a Living", than to "Work for a living"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 12, 2005
"Mofongo", you forgot "Lynn", Mass.!!!!!!
My sister lives in Lynn.
Every HUGE dominican family lives in "Section 8 Housing", Has an "Electronic Benefits Card",gets free health care, and drives a 2015 "Yepetta'!

"Berry BERRY Gud" if you ask me!!!!!
It's now much better to "Vote For a Living", than to "Work for a living"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

It's getting to the point were working and playing by the rules are for pendejos.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
the woman are home with the kids $$$$$$ and the boyfriend " husband " goes to work , The apt . is paid for , the food is paid for , school is paid for , so his money and the money she gets is all gravy , = new car .

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Since WWII in the U.S. 50% of the people starting life in the bottom quintile of income got out of it, 10% got as far as the top quintile; and something like 90% starting in the top quintile dropped out of it.

(The percents are approximate, but best I can remember. Do your own research.)

PS: In the U.S. I qualify as "under the poverty line", yet here in the DR I live a good life.

Maybe since WW2 those were the facts but for the current generations, not so much --

...we are actually a less mobile society than many other nations, including Canada, France, Germany and most Scandinavian countries. This challenges the notion of America as the land of opportunity."
Another 2007 study ("Economic Mobility Project: Across Generations") found significant upward "absolute" mobility from the late 1960s to 2007, with two-thirds of those who were children in 1968 reporting more household income than their parents[3] (although most of this growth in total family income can be attributed to the increasing number of women who work since male earnings have stayed relatively stable throughout this time[3]).

However, in terms of relative mobility it stated:
"contrary to American beliefs about equality of opportunity, a child?s economic position is heavily influenced by that of his or her parents."[3]
42% of children born to parents in the bottom fifth of the income distribution ("quintile") remain in the bottom, while 39% born to parents in the top fifth remain at the top.[3]
Only half of the generation studied exceeded their parents economic standing by moving up one or more quintiles.[3]
Moving between quintiles is more frequent in the middle quintiles (2-4) than in the lowest and highest quintiles.
Of those in one of the quintiles 2-4 in 1996, approximately 35% stayed in the same quintile; and approximately 22% went up one quintile or down one quintile (moves of more than one quintile are rarer).
39% of those who were born into the top quintile as children in 1968 are likely to stay there, and 23% end up in the fourth quintile.[3]
Children previously from lower-income families had only a 1% chance of having an income that ranks in the top 5%.[5] On the other hand, the children of wealthy families have a 22% chance of reaching the top 5%.[5

///A 1996 paper by Daniel P. McMurrer, Isabel V. Sawhill found "mobility rates seem to be quite similar across countries."[12] However a more recent paper (2007) found a person's parents is a great deal more predictive of their own income in the United States than other countries.[5] The United States had about 1/3 the ratio of mobility of Denmark and less than half that of Canada, Finland and Norway.[1] France, Germany, Sweden, also had higher mobility, with only the United Kingdom being less mobile.[1]

wiki
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/Documents/incomemobilitystudy03-08revise.pdf

Since 1995

it is more like 2% than 10% that have made it from the bottom to the top

And 69% of those who started in the top have stayed in the top.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Perhaps if you worked six days a week laying concrete blocks and covering them with stucco for $14000 pesos a month, you might not think of yourself as lazy. Perhaps that might be the only way to get that $6000 peso mattress. The poor people have a tough time of it in the DR, CC. That seems to be the going rate in Barahona, anyway.

It isn't just that the bottom salaries are low but that there is so little payoff for education. Bilingual call center operators are paid 150 pesos an hour. comes to 20k pesos a month after deductions. Spanish only call centers paid 85 pesos an hour. Bilingual shipping clerks for international shipping company.. I am talking like Maersk, not DHL, paid 15,000 pesos. These are all 40 hour a week jobs.

What are the jobs that pay MORE than $20,000 pesos? There was a study years ago by a US group coming down here that said the living wage here for a family of four was $565. Who is making that and how?

Aug 6, 2006
I agree with mountainannie on both counts. The poor are worse off than the anecdotal information supplied by other posters claims.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Since WWII in the U.S. 50% of the people starting life in the bottom quintile of income got out of it, 10% got as far as the top quintile; and something like 90% starting in the top quintile dropped out of it.

(The percents are approximate, but best I can remember. Do your own research.)

PS: In the U.S. I qualify as "under the poverty line", yet here in the DR I live a good life.

10% of the bottom quintile made it to the top? really? show me that data. and, no, i am not going to look for it myself. i have spent a lot of time and effort in the past reading up on mobility issues, and i have never seen that stat anywhere. since you have, try to wrack your brain for a link..

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
It isn't just that the bottom salaries are low but that there is so little payoff for education. Bilingual call center operators are paid 150 pesos an hour. comes to 20k pesos a month after deductions. Spanish only call centers paid 85 pesos an hour. Bilingual shipping clerks for international shipping company.. I am talking like Maersk, not DHL, paid 15,000 pesos. These are all 40 hour a week jobs.

What are the jobs that pay MORE than $20,000 pesos? There was a study years ago by a US group coming down here that said the living wage here for a family of four was $565. Who is making that and how?

If you like to make more than 20.. it wont be a 40 hour work week.. working 6 days a week in a store may not even get you 10 thousand a week.

I know someone who makes 40 a month at La Sirena but this is working 12 days out of every 14 days and in most cases the 13th day you have to show up anyway. With inventory month dont count on any free day.. More or less workweeks of 60 hours..

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
I like the part of the story that it took about "TWO YEARS" to know who his neighbor was.
"Head buried in the sand" quote comes to mind, also "Know thy neighbor". :cool:

culture, my friend, culture.

Ya.... kinda the culture.

My wife and I are missionaries. We like to do that, but when we go home- it's better to keep to yourself. It may sound selfish... but after sometimes being out the majority of the day, we don't want company coming over. Usually we're wiped out by then.

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
a while ago some poster here started a thread praising hubieres for giving away his monthly senador salary. others chipped in to explain who hubieres is and what he does. only then the original poster found how wrong he was about him and that he was lacking knowledge about dominican politics while making his positive assumption.

every politician gives stuff. i am sure bautista gives away a lot more than your neighbour. how else would he get elected? this is no proof of the goodness and holiness of the giver. it is pure business. it took you two years to find out the guy next door was a senador. how long will it take you to see the darker side of political dealings here?

Good point. I don't know, as we don't live in the capitol - where he works. If his jurisdiction covers our area, then maybe.... It's a nice gesture at any rate, IMO.

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
"DAN", that "Senator" giving away the "Freebies" is just buying the peoples votes!
They get money from the DR government to do "Nice Things" for their constituants.
It may be a "Mattress" buy it's just "FREE QUESO"!!!!

Why give them STUFF, that they could buy themselves, IF they WORKED for it!
THAT sounds "LAZY" to me!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I've seen some interesting things in the D.R. For example, just because we give away clothing, people will want it. A few times, they are definitely NOT poor. They live in a nicer house than we do and drive a 2015 car. I said something about this to the wife - who is kind of in charge of all that. She said: "well, maybe they were getting clothes to give to other people".... LOL. That was a good one, I thought.

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
perhaps you are forgetting that block laying dude pays no income tax and very little itbis since he shops in colmados and eats street food. yet he demands not only free power and water that others pay for but also gets fee health service in public hospitals, free schooling for his numerous kids and other handouts. endless subsidies and giveaways will not take anyone out of poverty.

Maybe he gets some freebies, but I don't envy him. Not in the slightest. Don't get sick in the D.R., the healthcare can be brutal- esp. if you can only afford to go to the public hospital.