learning to fly?

May 5, 2007
in regards to the motion sickness let me just say that i do not know anyone who suffers more than myslef. i get sick in all forms of enclosed transport: planes, cars, buses, trains. in my one attempt on diving i got sick without even being on a boat, just floating on the surface made me green. during haiti earthquake i nearly lost my breakfast and had to sit down for a while before my stomach settled down.
i also cannot play computer games that require complicated movement: those futuristic shooting games with aliens jumping on you from the ceiling and the player "looking" in all direction? puke. i cannot see videos with too much movement, cannot even watch people spinning around, let alone do a pirouette myself.
when miesposo parks the car backwards i have to get out first. i do not park backwards myself, i do not even drive back except the few meters it takes me to back up the car out of the driveway.

i know it is all about the inner ear thingy, yes. and yes, i have the poorest balance you'd ever see. cannot skate or ski and i only learnt how to ride a bike when i was about 12.

what else...? let me think... cannot do bouncy castles or trampolines. no swings of any kind. and i am sure i am missing other things here... :)

transdermal scopolamine patches available in DR? They are by far the most effective think I know for motion sickness, you even see Coast Guardsmen wearing them

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
never seen them here. in fact i have never even heard of them until i saw that in some american movie. do not think they are popular in europe either. i would like to try...
takes me four pills of dramamine to get to europe. and i still puke. on the other hand when i do not puke i am in a coma which is an excellent thing when you travel by a plane full of other people with their annoying noises.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
Good to know that there are flight schools in DR, for years I thought of get the pilot brevet, but one pilot's license for single engine aircraft in Portugal costs about 22.000€:mad:, for me that value is inconceivable (i have that amount but I think is a
robbery and I refuse to pay so much for the license). the $ 7.000 value not hurt and so maybe I can realize my dream, to fly my own plane:classic:
JT

May 5, 2007
never seen them here. in fact i have never even heard of them until i saw that in some american movie. do not think they are popular in europe either. i would like to try...
takes me four pills of dramamine to get to europe. and i still puke. on the other hand when i do not puke i am in a coma which is an excellent thing when you travel by a plane full of other people with their annoying noises.

From what I have been told and observed: no drowsiness and far more effective than Dramamine with transdermal scopolamine patches

Only times I have experienced them not being effective with people is when they failed the instructions and didn't put them on at least two hours prior to need (I'm sure you know it's takes some time to be absorbed through skin, good thins is they last 36 hour or so. Some people after short use take them off and put them back on the plastic sheet and place in airtight bag for future use) and the funniest I ever saw was with my own Niece: I took her on one of those 4 day three night cruises and she is very susceptible to motion sickness, after we left Miami she said she was feeling a little queasy. I asked when she put the patch on and she told me about 4-5 hours previously, so I said let me make sure it is still on. She had long hair so I pulled it back and looked; sure enough, the patch was there with a small piece of tape covering the patch with the plastic backing still attached. she had said it was problematic getting it to stick, I told her to make sure her skin was very clean and make up free but assumed my 23 year old Niece would understand to peel the plastic backing off the patch :ermm:

I'm sure you well know that once the motion sickness ensues it is difficult recover, but next morning she was feeling great and made it through the entire cruise with that one patch

I have been with other motion sickness prone friends who used Dramamine (Felt sleepy all the time and some had vision issues) tried the wrist bans hey sell in the shops (No comment) and every home remedy known, including getting smashed, patch is way to go if you can get them

I did talk with another friend, a former Naval Aviator and he had a side effect of blurred vision after wearing the patches for 9 days straight flying a Cherokee Six from Maine to The Mexican highlands (with another Pilot), around Central Mexico and back. They (Patches) are not perfect but that is an extreme situation I don't see you getting involved with ( 9 days straight flying in turbulent conditions)

One little problem : when you are acting as PIC (Pilot in Command) the FAA prohibits the use of any motion sickness medication, but having said that I know of many pilots who use them, I assume if you crashed and they found it in your system (Dramamine also) you would have a problem, but if you crashed you would likely not give a crap anyways

It's perfectly legal while you are learning and flying with instructor pilot, hopefully your body will have adjusted by the time you get your "ticket" and are flying on your own

Keep it right side up and watch your Six

May 5, 2007

60 dollars for an hour is a really good deal, I don't know of any place you can rent a small plane (Wet) for that price. I can't read Spanish, is that a full hour flying or 1/2 hour "ground school" 1/2 flying?

No idea what avgas is in DR right now, but assume you are going to burn 8 gallons in the hour, an instructor for an hour, darn good deal and a great way to find if you like it. Not quite as good as what I assume to be Beeza's offer of a personal intro ride, but a good deal none the less

Not sure of costs in DR, and Beeza could provide an exact answer to this, but even a Cessna 152/172 will have an operating cost of $125 per hour or so. expensive hobby for certain, unless you fly 200 plus hours per year (It varies) renting is far better than owning

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think they use these italians little aircrafts, Tecnam. These are really small two-seaters, so I guess they are cheaper to fly than the bigger Cessna 172 or the older 152.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
60 dollars for an hour is a really good deal, I don't know of any place you can rent a small plane (Wet) for that price. I can't read Spanish, is that a full hour flying or 1/2 hour "ground school" 1/2 flying?

No idea what avgas is in DR right now, but assume you are going to burn 8 gallons in the hour, an instructor for an hour, darn good deal and a great way to find if you like it. Not quite as good as what I assume to be Beeza's offer of a personal intro ride, but a good deal none the less

Not sure of costs in DR, and Beeza could provide an exact answer to this, but even a Cessna 152/172 will have an operating cost of $125 per hour or so. expensive hobby for certain, unless you fly 200 plus hours per year (It varies) renting is far better than owning

I was thinking the same! AVGAS at POP is currently $7.86 gal. Very expensive! Our 172 has a 180hp engine and it's equipped with the JPM engine analyser and we run it lean of peak. The best trade off between speed and economy is 8gph at 115kts IAS.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

"Discovery Flights" have been the heart of marketing Flight Schools since the discovery of lift.

$125 may be a good number. I remember our cph for a 2000 172SP in '03 was right at $95 including insurance, tie down, fuel, oil, engine/prop reserve, 100hr inspections, and unplanned maintenance. Fuel was around $2.65g back then, and I got a special deal since I also owned the fuel farm. We rented 172SP's aircraft for $130 an hour.

We had smaller, more basic aircraft for $90 an hour, but I didn't like flying them, small, slow and not IFR equipped.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This looks like fun, ground effect aircraft:

[video=youtube;TYFEFekPzDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFEFekPzDM[/video]

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
My pilot training was in the U.S. a number of years ago. Low wing Piper Cherokee to get Single Engine Land, then Cessna 172RG and 182RG for High Performance/ Complex endorsement. It was expensive and time consuming, but absolutely one of the best experiences in my life. Don't know how well motion sickness and being a pilot in command (PIC) would work. Initially my instructor kept a close eye on me when doing maneuvers that could cause any equilibrium disturbance until he was confident I was rather immune.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it made me feel better when i read even astronauts are known to get motion sickness on occasions.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Always remember,."Any Crash You Can Walk Away From, Is A Good Landing!!!!"
cc
Also remember: no one has ever been left up there...yet...

And every landing is just a controlled crash. When you really grease one, it's a whole lot of luck...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's not the FALL from 12,000 feet that kills you.
It's that sudden stop at the bottom!!!!!
A friend of mine taught South Vietnamese military how to fly. Twin, "Somethings"????
He has a picture of a Vietnamese pilot???, standing beside the plane, after making a "Perfect Laanding" on a grass strip,"Somewhere" in Vietnam (His first "solo")
Plane was in perfect condition, except all the "props" were bent back around the engines. :eek::eek::eek:
He failed to lower the landing gear!
CC
"Happy Landings To You, Until We Meat Again!"
To paraphrase "Roy & Dale"!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you guys are filling me with confidence. if i land the way i park the only ones in danger are guys in jose luis parking lot!