learning to fly?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This was not intended as a carp at any particular so if I offended then I apologise but as we well know, this site does have the tendency to degenerate rapidly into inconsequential inanity of no help to the original poster.
Many folk have opinions on subjects of which they have little or no direct knowledge which tends to divert from the original purpose and whilst there is a lot of information here, it is often necessary to gnaw away the hard shell of inanity to get at the kernel of wisdom which is why I try to refrain from commenting on the respective merits of ladies of the night or some sock puppets new conquest etc., but I am fairly experienced in the aviation field so offer my two cents worth.

Flying is not just about manipulating the controls which most people will manage fairly well after a short time but situational and spatial awareness together with the ability to think in three dimensions and react correctly in the face of the unexpected are necessary for good pilotage.
A little meteorology, technical study, air regulations and navigation complete the picture.
GPS and reliable instruments have removed the mathematics from learning to fly and have made massive improvements to safety, together with east-to-fly aircraft and qualified instruction, putting flying within the reach of many more people, the overriding factor being, of course, the cost, which can be daunting..
There are many stimuli which bring people into flying and if it’s James May, then why not?
It is usually easy to see if someone is really serious about flying after a couple of flights in a light plane which is why it’s best to do an experience flight before embarking on a path to the licence.

There is no restriction on a pilot flying to Cuba but the USA has restrictions on Americans spending money there.A US registered plane has a US connection and any expenditures in Cuba relating to the plane could put that connection in violation of the embargo.
Permissions are available but a bit complicated.
Excellent post.

"Flying" an airplane is the easy part, even flying a jetliner...once in the air.

But as wrecksum points out just physically manipulating the controls is just a small part of being a pilot.

There are several qualified pilots on DR1. IslandDreaming currently makes his bones as a professional pilot, breeza is a professional aircraft maintainer and wrecksum and breeza own a C172 based in POP. When they talk about aviation and flying folks should listen.