learning to fly?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
A possible starting point? :laugh:

Microsoft Flight

No kidding. I had been using MS Flight simulator for at least 10 years before I took actual pilot classes. Nothing compares to the real thing, but the theory you learn using flight simulators is very helpful. At least it was for me, as I already knew how to read the instruments and the basic maneuvering techniques.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
About 40 some years ago, "Cessna" put coupons in a lot of magazines.
They allowed you to take half hour "Test Flight" in a "Cessna" for 5 dollars.
By best friend Eliot, and I, went to every small airport in northern Ohio, and southern Michigan, with a fist full of coupons.
We could always talk the instructors into letting us both go up together.
At some point in the flight, they would "Pass You the "Stick".
We should have kept log books.
We both got several hours of "Stick Time!"
On our "Last Flight",the instructor couldn't get the "Gear Down". :surprised:surprised:surprised
We circled for a long, long time.
He finally cranked the gear down with a hand crank.
THAT made us switch to motorcycles!
Which makes no sense in retrospect, "BIKES" are many times more lethal :hurt::hurt::hurt::dead::dead::dead:than planes.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
C.c. A similar situation happened to me while taking classes back in 1978, the instructor took the controls of the 152 from me, to land fast (side slip) before a squadron of C-130 landed, creating too much air turbulence that would have us going around.
That had me scared and never again took the stick. That year Harley came out with the 80 c.i. bought one, after a couple of spills...no more bikes or airplanes

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
C.c. A similar situation happened to me while taking classes back in 1978, the instructor took the controls of the 152 from me, to land fast (side slip) before a squadron of C-130 landed, creating too much air turbulence that would have us going around.
That had me scared and never again took the stick. That year Harley came out with the 80 c.i. bought one, after a couple of spills...no more bikes or airplanes
Both require training.

I did both: ride and flew. In fact, I'd often ride my bike to go flying.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Tried doing a trip from POP to PUJ this morning. Checked the weather and it seemed okay. PUJ was overcast at 6000, broken at 1500. Got airborne and ten mins into the flight Santo Domingo called me to say that PUJ was closed for visual traffic! Had to turn round and come back again!

I wish the DR had a decent weather service. i have to rely on satellite pictures and a bit of old fashioned weather prediction. I think I'll tie a piece of seaweed on the wing strut next time. Probably more accurate than ONAMET!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Tried doing a trip from POP to PUJ this morning. Checked the weather and it seemed okay. PUJ was overcast at 6000, broken at 1500. Got airborne and ten mins into the flight Santo Domingo called me to say that PUJ was closed for visual traffic! Had to turn round and come back again!
"Center, request vector to La Romana..." ;)

May 5, 2007

I wish the DR had a decent weather service. i have to rely on satellite pictures and a bit of old fashioned weather prediction. I think I'll tie a piece of seaweed on the wing strut next time. Probably more accurate than ONAMET!

Don't you use DUAT ?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Don't you use DUAT ?

I use Foreflight on my iPhone and iPad. I understand it uses the same weather data as DUAT. What I don't understand is what minimums they use to go to marginal VFR. I've been checking the METAR all afternoon and PUJ has been marginal VFR all day, but still reporting broken 1,600 broken 7,000 vis 6sm. LRM is the same today too.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Would like to get airborne again! I have a UK (JAR) PPL with about 250 hrs on PA28's and C172, and actually still own a share in a Cherokee in the UK. Sadly my medical has also lapsed, anybody want a Co-Pilot in the POP area??

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
It took me a while to come up with the website, and I don't have the time to trawl through all the subsequent posts in this thread to see if it has been mentioned already, but anyway here is the URL Inicio - Zoherga

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It took me a while to come up with the website, and I don't have the time to trawl through all the subsequent posts in this thread to see if it has been mentioned already, but anyway here is the URL Inicio - Zoherga

I've just had a read on this site and must admit it seems very impressive for the price. They are able to keep their costs down by using very modern economical Tecnam airplanes. And they call Cessnas "dinosaurs"....cheeky buggers!

According to their blurb you can go from zero to private pilot with 90 hours of ground instruction and 40 hours of flight training for a combined price of US$6,100 in Santo Domingo / Santiago, or US$7,500 in Punta Cana. I think you would also have to be a fluent Spanish speaker as I imagine the instruction (ground and air) is all done in Spanish.

I did my private pilot's license in Florida at one of the pilot factories in Kissimmee and it cost over twice that.

However one limiting factor I can see is that you would only earn a Dominican pilot's certificate meaning you would be limited to flying within the DR in any plane, but if you wanted to venture internationally you would only be permitted to fly an HI registered plane unless you could get a validation for any other country.

For example, I am a Brit, but my plane is November registered in the USA. In order for an alien to own a US registered plane it has to go into a trust company based in the US. My license is FAA, so that means I can fly it wherever I want without having to comply with the pilot regulations of any other country.

However it does mean that I can't fly to Cuba without running the risk of me having the plane impounded, which is a shame!

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
You should be able to exchange a Dominican PPL for a JAR i you apply to (for example)the CAA. I was offered a Dominican PPL by virtue of my JAR license but somehow it never happened

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Has anyone used the Sporty's course instruction to start learning with? A friend of mine sent me the link to their website after I expressed interest in trying to get my pilots license down here. I would love to try it one time to see if I like it, the smallest plane I have been up in was a C-12 in the USMC.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Has anyone used the Sporty's course instruction to start learning with? A friend of mine sent me the link to their website after I expressed interest in trying to get my pilots license down here. I would love to try it one time to see if I like it, the smallest plane I have been up in was a C-12 in the USMC.
We used to use the King series. They put it together for the Cessna Pilot Centers.

Excellent.

Welcome to Cessna Flight Training

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also looked at that site with much interest. the cost is not quite as high as i imagined and they are very clear and specific with pricing details.

once we win this damn car in a jose luis raffle i am going to put some money away ;)

why a private pilot cannot fly to cuba?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Out of curiosity; what is the "wrong" information already posted she should disregard?

This was not intended as a carp at any particular so if I offended then I apologise but as we well know, this site does have the tendency to degenerate rapidly into inconsequential inanity of no help to the original poster.
Many folk have opinions on subjects of which they have little or no direct knowledge which tends to divert from the original purpose and whilst there is a lot of information here, it is often necessary to gnaw away the hard shell of inanity to get at the kernel of wisdom which is why I try to refrain from commenting on the respective merits of ladies of the night or some sock puppets new conquest etc., but I am fairly experienced in the aviation field so offer my two cents worth.

Flying is not just about manipulating the controls which most people will manage fairly well after a short time but situational and spatial awareness together with the ability to think in three dimensions and react correctly in the face of the unexpected are necessary for good pilotage.
A little meteorology, technical study, air regulations and navigation complete the picture.
GPS and reliable instruments have removed the mathematics from learning to fly and have made massive improvements to safety, together with east-to-fly aircraft and qualified instruction, putting flying within the reach of many more people, the overriding factor being, of course, the cost, which can be daunting..
There are many stimuli which bring people into flying and if it?s James May, then why not?
It is usually easy to see if someone is really serious about flying after a couple of flights in a light plane which is why it?s best to do an experience flight before embarking on a path to the licence.

There is no restriction on a pilot flying to Cuba but the USA has restrictions on Americans spending money there.A US registered plane has a US connection and any expenditures in Cuba relating to the plane could put that connection in violation of the embargo.
Permissions are available but a bit complicated.