Leaving the DR1 Forums

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Et Al;

There are many different styles of posting on any board. Whether you agree with that style or not is up to you as an individual. There are those that don't appreciate a particular style, whether it is couched in "politically correct" language or expressed in "street style" language.
When reading these different styles, one must ask themselves if they have EVER used that style in general or "heated" conversations past and present. If they have, then their objection is moot. The pot can't call the kettle black if both are carbonized equally.
So, before becoming "high and mighty", look at yourself and judge accordingly and honestly.
Like Shakespere said, "Above all else, to thine own self be true".
We all can't shave ourselves every morning with a clear conscience, now can we??? For women, it's "put on your makeup".

Texas Bill

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
And on that sensible note from a scholar and a gentleman .. what about doing a poll asking two questions?

Should CC clean up his language Yes or No! No comments allowed, just a vote? What do you think?

Colon is going to kill me, he is going to wipe the floor with me for sure! :cheeky:

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I belong to a few forums on the internet. Each one has its characters that make it unique and special.
I say to leave CC alone. I was a little taken back at first by his posts, but now that I have seen several I'm used to it. This is in his "cyberspace character" so be it. If we put too many rules and regulations on discussion forums, what fun would they be:cheeky:
This forum is quite tame compared to some of the posts I have read on others:chinese:

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Ah po' ta' bien. Si es asi que estamos yo tambien tratare de ser mas "funny" que nunca, teniendo mi propio estilo.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Ah po' ta' bien. Si es asi que estamos yo tambien tratare de ser mas "funny" que nunca, teniendo mi propio estilo.

Actually, more offensive to me than the occasional vulgar word are the people who arbitrarily post in Spanish on an English-speaking forum, apparently for no reason other than "they can"!

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Actually, more offensive to me than the occasional vulgar word are the people who arbitrarily post in Spanish on an English-speaking forum, apparently for no reason other than "they can"!

You are in the Dominican Republic, papa..this is not the US, this is not Canada, this is not the UK..you are in the DR, and things here are different, you need to learn Spanish..just like we have to learn english when we go to america.

Y depue se quejan cuando le va mal en la chatarra de pai' po que no saben ni siquiera pedi aucilio cuando lo necesitan.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
sweetdbt;

There are no rules as to any specific ethnic language on DR1.

If you want to post in Swahili, that is your prerogative. Very few will understand whatit is you wish to convey, but it's your right.

I don't speak Spanish either, but have no problem with others using that language here. I just get my dictionary out and struggle through a translation, or cut & paste into AltoVista if it is important.
You might try the same thing, old son. It could be educational.

Texas Bill

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You are in the Dominican Republic, papa..this is not the US, this is not Canada, this is not the UK..you are in the DR, and things here are different, you need to learn Spanish..just like we have to learn english when we go to america.

Y depue se quejan cuando le va mal en la chatarra de pai' po que no saben ni siquiera pedi aucilio cuando lo necesitan.
I beg your pardon?
This is an English forum, and as a guest, you might want to show a bit more respect.
I never said anything before, but now that you opened the can of worms, your Spanish sucks.
I figured you were some kid trying to learn and practice the lingo.
I guess I was wrong.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sweetdbt;

There are no rules as to any specific ethnic language on DR1.

If you want to post in Swahili, that is your prerogative. Very few will understand whatit is you wish to convey, but it's your right.

I don't speak Spanish either, but have no problem with others using that language here. I just get my dictionary out and struggle through a translation, or cut & paste into AltoVista if it is important.
You might try the same thing, old son. It could be educational.

Texas Bill
Altovista cannot translate Funnyyale's posts, as there are too many spelling and grammatical mistakes.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
My Spanish does not sucks, I just like to use dominican slang every once in a while...(cuando me pica el ombliguito , jejejejeje).

At first I was against doing this, but now I am not.

Pero yo tambien tengo la capacidad de hablar el castellano correctamente....that is one of the perks of speaking spanish, you many times speak/write the language correctly but you can also talk slang form.

Last edited:

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Altovista cannot translate Funnyyale's posts, as there are too many spelling and grammatical mistakes.
I have tried copying and pasting his "spanish" posts too and the translation makes no sense at all lol

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Did I say I don't understand Spanish? The fact is, I do, although I don't consider myself fluent. I am not in the DR (although I just got back from my 18th vacation there.)

I believe Robert/Dolores and/or any of the moderators will verify to you that DR1 is a forum ABOUT the DR, not a Dominican Forum, and it is by design an ENGLISH-SPEAKING forum. The vast majority of participants here have at best limited Spanish skills. By selectively posting in Spanish, you are changing the conversation from something which is open to all participants and limiting it to those who are bi-lingual. You are, by the way, pretty much the only one on the board who does this, and I have always found it annoying in the extreme

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My Spanish does not sucks, I just like to use dominican slang every once in a while...(cuando me pica el ombliguito , jejejejeje).

Pero yo tambien tengo la capacidad de hablar el castellano correctamente....that is one of the perks of speaking spanish, you many times speak/write the language correctly but you can also talk slang form.

At first I was against doing this, but now I am not.
Nice try, but that wouldn't explain your lousy spelling, now would it.
depue?
aucilio?
When a gringo like me who's never seen the inside of a Spanish classroom can spot your mistakes, I believe it's justifiable to say that your Spanish sucks, but that wasn't the whole point.
Your insinuation of, "you're in my country now" shyte won't fly around here.
For one, the vast majority of DR1 members don't even live in this country, and for two, it's the poorest excuse in the books, to counteract your own inadequacies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Funnyyale26, your posts make no sense. Let's stick to English in this thread.

OK, the question on the table is what to do when leaving DR1. The poster that is leaving has probably left by now, so, that is a done deal. Cris Colon gave the poster that is leaving a traditional DR1 salute. People complained about it. So, now, do we delete Cris Colon, or do we not?

That's all.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Ok...I apologise to all. I am not going to speak Castilian like that again and I when I do write castillian, I will make sure to translate.

Sorry for all the inconveniences.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yet again ... stick to the topic. If you have something else to say, about translation, about the Dominican Republic, about anything else but the topic of this thread ... start another thread ..

OK, the question on the table is what to do when leaving DR1. The poster that is leaving has probably left by now, so, that is a done deal. Cris Colon gave the poster that is leaving a traditional DR1 salute. People complained about it. So, now, do we delete Cris Colon, or do we not?

That's all.

Feb 9, 2006
Delete

Yes, this thread needs Colon cleansing. Telling someone to stick something in their arse is certainly not a contribution to this discussion. And if it were said by anyone else, it wouldn't be a topic. It'd just be gone.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
He should be given another opportunity, just like I have been given another opportunity. This should serve as a warning.

I just get confused w/ some of his posts because I don't know where he draws the line between ridiculing members, or DR, or dominicans VS, giving pragmatic/productive feedback.