Legal driving and insurance.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the important passage for the many american bordmembers is the following:
\\\
Nota (2): Las Licencias de Conducir de lo Estados Unidos de Am?rica no se Homologan por lo tanto para la obtenci?n de la licencia Dominicana deber?n optar por el proceso de emisi?n de una licencia Nueva.
\\\
Mike

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Nevertheless, I checked the law online and it actually says something different. It says the foreign license is only valid for 90 days.

What is good to know is that one can legally apply for a driver's license without having to get a residence. So one could actually get a license in less than a week -- it sends one to the Consulate of the country that issued the foreign license, then that probably has to be legalized, and then one gets to apply for the Dominican license. This is a procedure that does not seem to require a lawyer. One can do all the steps by oneself.

On the other hand, from what the person at the Casa del Conductor tells us, apparently it is a practice to allow those who keep their legal status to drive. But to be extra safe and legal, would seem best to apply for the Dominican license is the way to go.

To translate, what it is saying is that those with foreign licenses can drive for 90 days legally here. Then in (b) it says that anyone who has a foreign license can request a driver's license, without any other requisite but paying the fees for the license and presenting a certificate from the consul of the country where the license is from and with a certificate that the license is valid and with a medical certificate.

To read the law, see http://www.ottt.gob.do/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=RMQaUR9WHqQ=&tabid=64&mid=406

What would be the better way to go in this situation?

Getting the license legalized and then validated by paying the fees, etc?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
i guess that been answered above a few months ago.
just read
Mike

Clearly I've read this thread if I have searched for it and asked a pointed question on the information in it.

According to Delores' post (if you read it) there are 2 basic options.

The 2 options being, going to get your 90 day stay renewed, therefore allowing you to drive for the renewed time period. (And carrying a copy of that law with you if any problems should arise).

The 2nd, to get your license legalized and then validated.

I understand the Pro's seem to be towards getting your license legalized, but it sounds like that is not an option from some countries?

And in the meantime, it seems it would be legal, to get the 90 days extended.

Maybe I missed, or didn't fully understand some of the information?? That's why I'm asking.....

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
alicious,
my prior post/answer been no real answer,
just bad behavior of mine,
MOD can press a delete, please.
sorry for that.
how long do you plan to stay and what is the country of origin of your valid actual drivers license?
Mike

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Forget the posts on licenses. It is money and connections and politics.
Punto.
Run like hell. And don't look back. (IMHO of course)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
alicious,
how long do you plan to stay and what is the country of origin of your valid actual drivers license?
Mike

Plan is currently 1-2 years. So I am not planning on getting a permanent residency at this point.

I have a Canadian Drivers License.

I'm not sure if having a Work Visa will make any difference as far as getting a valid license to drive in the Dominican Rep?

I was looking into getting the international drivers license from the CAA here in Canada, but from what I've read in this thread it wouldn't be any help in extending my legality to drive beyond the 90 days...

bellakins

May 31, 2008
How about leaving the DR for a day?

I've heard someone mention that if you leave the DR for a day and legally cross the border to Haiti (and back to DR) then you can get another 90 days of legal driving. Not sure about the semantics of this, but in theory the action seems like a good plan. Maybe you'll
get more suggestions from other people who've done this...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I've heard someone mention that if you leave the DR for a day and legally cross the border to Haiti (and back to DR) then you can get another 90 days of legal driving. Not sure about the semantics of this, but in theory the action seems like a good plan. Maybe you'll
get more suggestions from other people who've done this...

you heard right,
when you leave the country and you come back again you are again on 90 days of visitors visa.
but why to do such hassles and travel to the haitian border, get the passport stamps there, pay the exit fees and again on entrance the visa fee aso??
it's much more hassle free and finally not more expensive to get on the regular way the usual dominican drivers license like described on so many threads about the theme here on the bord.
each his/her own of course, there's legally nothing wrong with leaving the country to Haiti or whereever else and come back with a new stamp and new visa aso, but why such hassles??
Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
probably a Yank

you heard right,
when you leave the country and you come back again you are again on 90 days of visitors visa.
but why to do such hassles and travel to the haitian border, get the passport stamps there, pay the exit fees and again on entrance the visa fee aso??
it's much more hassle free and finally not more expensive to get on the regular way the usual dominican drivers license like described on so many threads about the theme here on the bord.
each his/her own of course, there's legally nothing wrong with leaving the country to Haiti or whereever else and come back with a new stamp and new visa aso, but why such hassles??
Mike

Mike, the poster is probably American and for us, since our Embassy will not certify our licenses the only way to get the drivers licenses is to get the residency or to keep going to Haiti.

This will give you a really interesting way to see the country. Actually my favorite crossing now is from Elias Pinas to Belledare ....although I have done all four.....

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
Trying to answer a question;
If a dominican national resident whom has a cedula but not yet a drivers license, and wants to buy a car immediately because of a great deal that wont last.
Can they still insure the car prior to getting a license and then of course not drive it until the license is acquired.
I assume the steps for a dominican getting their first drivers license is fairly straight forward, or am i wrong?

it would be a 2002model

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Trying to answer a question;
If a dominican national resident whom has a cedula but not yet a drivers license, and wants to buy a car immediately because of a great deal that wont last.
Can they still insure the car prior to getting a license and then of course not drive it until the license is acquired.
I assume the steps for a dominican getting their first drivers license is fairly straight forward, or am i wrong?

it would be a 2002model

You need a license to drive a car not to buy it neither to insure it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
TRICKY QUESTION

Suppose you have residency BUT never stay longer than 90 days.?

Does that call for a DR licence ?

Or do you requalify for the 90 day rule each time you enter and thereby keep the foriegn licence valid?.

And if involved in an accident, do you just show the foreign licence and the stamp on the passport proving that you are inside the 90 days....... and keep the cedula in your pocket?

Or... do you go straight to jail, do not pass go , etc... etc ........ :))

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's not tricky William,
it's an easy one.
as a resident you do not purchase a 90 days tourist card,
you do not apply for any 90 days rule.
as a Resident you need a dominican drivers license from the moment your residency card is issued.
exception would be that you are still for a few days withing a prior on arrival purchased tourist card.
in case of accident for a visitor the proof for validity of his foreign drivers license(if the visitor is from a country who's drivers licenses are accepted here, some are not) requires presentation of that upd to date renewed license, passport with entry stamp and tourist card.

residents do not count as tourists and do not purchase a tourist card on entry either.
Mike

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
that's not tricky William,
it's an easy one.
as a resident you do not purchase a 90 days tourist card,
you do not apply for any 90 days rule.
as a Resident you need a dominican drivers license from the moment your residency card is issued.
exception would be that you are still for a few days withing a prior on arrival purchased tourist card.
in case of accident for a visitor the proof for validity of his foreign drivers license(if the visitor is from a country who's drivers licenses are accepted here, some are not) requires presentation of that upd to date renewed license, passport with entry stamp and tourist card.

residents do not count as tourists and do not purchase a tourist card on entry either.
Mike

There is no such 90 days tourist card in the D.R. The 90 days period that someone is allowed to drive in the D.R. with his foreign license has nothing to do with the tourist card.
See post 11 in this same thread.
Art. 30.- Personas exentas del requisito de licencia.
a. Toda persona que est? debidamente autorizada para conducir un veh?culo
de motor en cualquier pa?s extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a
los establecidos por esta Ley para la concesi?n de licencias de conductor, y
que posea y lleve consigo una licencia autorizada y en vigor en dicho pa?s
extranjero, estar? autorizada para conducir tal tipo de veh?culos de motor en
la Rep?blica Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) d?as desde su
arribo.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A Bit Confused

So, it would appear that a foreign licence is valid for 90 days - with or without residency, for all drivers.

If staying for more than 90 days, people need to be certified beyond the foreign licence.
The passport stamp is the regulator for the 90 day period.

I have also read that a reasonable solution is to carry an International Driver's Licence - available at AAA and CAA for $15.
Some reports indicate that this satisfies the insurance regulations since the DR supposedly recognises the Int'l DL.

Have I got this right yet?
Comments?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
So, it would appear that a foreign licence is valid for 90 days - with or without residency, for all drivers.

If staying for more than 90 days, people need to be certified beyond the foreign licence.
The passport stamp is the regulator for the 90 day period.

I have also read that a reasonable solution is to carry an International Driver's Licence - available at AAA and CAA for $15.
Some reports indicate that this satisfies the insurance regulations since the DR supposedly recognises the Int'l DL.

Have I got this right yet?
Comments?

The inter.. drivers license, wich is good for one year,is only a traduction of your driver license. It does not change the D.R. law. There are some threads about the inter......

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Uncontroversial points?

• For periods of less than 90 days foreign drivers licenses from certain countries including the US and UK are legally valid.
  • One should be maximally insured including a casa de conductores provision
  • If one has residency, the tourist card for entry is no longer issued so there is no date to start the 90 day clock - so foreign licenses are not valid, you must have a Dominican drivers license.
  • Staying from 30 to 90 days on a tourist card does not put you in any legal jeopardy per se, it simply means you will have to pay an additional fee on leaving the country.

So if a foreigner who entered on a tourist card but had been in country for say 60 days gets in a car accident (and is fully insured and has a valid US drivers license) he would not be in any greater legal jeopardy than if the same foreigner had previously obtained legal residency and a dominican license (and the same insurance coverage)?

Can a tourist in a rental car obtain the same full insurance coverage (including the casa de conductores)?