Legally of age

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big

That may be true but it ignores the fact that legal age of consent in many countries is 16.

yes, most states in the U.S 16 is the age of consent. What LOSER wants to be with a 16 or 18 y/o for that matter unless you are 17 or 18 as well

J

jd426

The Legal aspect aside for a moment, what POSSIBLE conversation could you have with a 16-17 year old who most likely speaks only Dominican slang Spanish ? ( sorry for making the assumption, but having kids at such an early age, what level of sophistication could she possibly have )

She would drive any man up to the wall after a short while ... Unless she is extremely intelligent and going to school, which is like a Billion to one scenario in a case like this .
This is what i find the most ridiculous .

to each his own.

C

Cdn_Gringo

That may be true but it ignores the fact that legal age of consent in many countries is 16.

One does not change their learned morality (except for those who do not feel societal/cultural morality to be important) simply because a practice is made legal. Age of consent in my country is 16 as well, now. It used to be 14. In either case, those who consider it repugnant for an adult to have a physical relationship with a non-adult don't care if the minor is 12, 14, 16 or 17. Any age under 18 (generally accepted as the legal age of majority) is not ok.

Those who buck the societal belief, may not get arrested but will be pariahs as far as the majority are concerned.

F

Fulano2

Ronnie, whom I know, is trying to convince me that his relationship with the girl mentioned is OK. I am sure it is not, but his ideas do make some sense. When this girl was 9 years old I fed her and her two brothers for 90 days when their mother returned to Haiti lookig for their father. Now sahe is 90 days shy of 18 and is cooking and cleaning for Ron.
Derfish
If I may ask so, how old is your friend?

H

HDR

Ronnie, whom I know, is trying to convince me that his relationship with the girl mentioned is OK. I am sure it is not, but his ideas do make some sense. When this girl was 9 years old I fed her and her two brothers for 90 days when their mother returned to Haiti lookig for their father. Now sahe is 90 days shy of 18 and is cooking and cleaning for Ron.
Derfish

I guess/hope it is not this Ronnie... :rolleyes: http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/Mobile/verNoticia.aspx?Id=28416

D

Derfish

If I may ask so, how old is your friend?

Ron an American not European is 65. MYself I get tired of being approached by the girls of young age. Not intereted in a 30 year old. Years ago I ran a restaurant and the three kids showed up daily to eat usually twice.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Ron an American not European is 65. MYself I get tired of being approached by the girls of young age. Not intereted in a 30 year old. Years ago I ran a restaurant and the three kids showed up daily to eat usually twice.

Funny, I haven't been approached by a Dominican woman (young or old) since I started carting two little kids around.

T

the gorgon

The Legal aspect aside for a moment, what POSSIBLE conversation could you have with a 16-17 year old who most likely speaks only Dominican slang Spanish ? ( sorry for making the assumption, but having kids at such an early age, what level of sophistication could she possibly have )

She would drive any man up to the wall after a short while ... Unless she is extremely intelligent and going to school, which is like a Billion to one scenario in a case like this .
This is what i find the most ridiculous .

to each his own.

any 60 something guy who wants a 17 year old girl is not too cerebral himself, so he might drive her as crazy as she makes him...

W

william webster

Exactly - may suit his purposes well..... hahaha
not much conversation - more calisthenics .....

might make firing the housekeeper a bit more difficult !!?

Not that I approve - but - I might disapprove even more if it was a young boy
Just me....

D

DR_Guy

Sorry DR guy. In the DR you have an organization that protects the rights of adolescents known as the CONANI (consorcio niños, niñas y adolescentes). And there is NO option for the family to approve a minor shacking up with an adult gringo or Dominican. If the family won't protect the minor, then the CONANI and the Fiscalia (NNA) surely will step in.

Thats the law, thats not the reality.

P

PeterInHigüey

I knew a Canadian Hockey player who went trolling for teens. He had a habit of flashing a lot of cash around. He just disappeared one day and my assumption is he got caught in a sting. Some families have no issue in letting their kid sleep with a foreigner then go after them for a shakedown.

Morality aside, it's a bad bad idea.

P

PeterInHigüey

I really don't understand what a 30, or 40+ foreigner would expect from a relation with a 17 years old. Perverted.

By today's standards yes, but perfectly normal in the DR until recently, esp for 16-17 yo's. The cinciñera celebrates being of marriagable age throughout Hispanic culture. My wife's niece just 16 and has all but been married to her 17yo BF for a year and my wife's mom had her first by 16 and her fifth by 22. Been that way for most of human history.

Age difference laws are called Romeo and Juliet Laws in the US. You would be quite shocked to see what the age minimum requirements are in many US states for marriage with parental consent.

Last edited:
B

Big

By today's standards yes, but perfectly normal in the DR until recently, esp for 16-17 yo's. The cinciñera celebrates being of marriagable age throughout Hispanic culture. My wife's niece just 16 and has all but been married to her 17yo BF for a year and my wife's mom had her first by 16 and her fifth by 22. Been that way for most of human history.

Age difference laws are called Romeo and Juliet Laws in the US. You would be quite shocked to see what the age minimum requirements are in many US states for marriage with parental consent.

and that is the precise formula here that perpetuates poverty

D

Derfish

and that is the precise formula here that perpetuates poverty

Well as I see it, even though I disagree with doing young girls, if she ties up with him and he supports her, getting her started in her own business before he dies, like maybe a hair salon or similaar, it helps lift her and her son out of poverty, does nothing for the rest of the country, but a mother and son living better doies not perpetuate poverty.

W

william webster

We're talking Legal Age here.... I am surely Over Age...out of the game perhaps.

But this little girl may be outsmarting some of us...
17 yrs old w/ a 2 yrs... no visible means of support except the employer... our 65 yr old
He's a safe haven... reliable, needs her - she needs him
Marriages have been built on less.

@ Higuey Peter
you are exactly right... this is the culture...
some try to apply their OWN culture to this one.... no sirvi !!!

lots - lots of girls have children earlier than we're used to seeing... starting at 13-14-15 yrs old
and life goes on....

Not the way we live... but their way...

Heck - they rarely marry....
The father rarely stays around... does it again

not wrong - not right ---- just life
and not just the DR.... other places too

D

Derfish

My mother married at 16 and I was her third child bortn when she was 20. It is said that Mary or Santa Maria was 14 when the Holy child was born. But I married at 18 and my same mother had to sign so I could, not my wife because she was female!
Derfish

F

Fulano2

We're talking Legal Age here.... I am surely Over Age...out of the game perhaps.

But this little girl may be outsmarting some of us...
17 yrs old w/ a 2 yrs... no visible means of support except the employer... our 65 yr old
He's a safe haven... reliable, needs her - she needs him
Marriages have been built on less.

@ Higuey Peter
you are exactly right... this is the culture...
some try to apply their OWN culture to this one.... no sirvi !!!

lots - lots of girls have children earlier than we're used to seeing... starting at 13-14-15 yrs old
and life goes on....

Not the way we live... but their way...

Heck - they rarely marry....
The father rarely stays around... does it again

not wrong - not right ---- just life
and not just the DR.... other places too

Which culture are you talking about when you say our and this one.
We are talking about poverty, not a cultural issue, in my opinion. Do you really think this would happen to a 17 years old "white dominican"? With wealthy parents? I don't think so. Just the fact that this girl has limited options doesnt make it a cultural choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.