Leonel 2012???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband spoke to his brother today in SD, and the brother said he's glued to the TV because today the PLD is holding a meeting in a stadium, and the senators [I think that's what he said] have collected 2 million [??????] signatures from residents who want Leonel to run again. Even though the constitution says he can't. Apparently there are a lot of people holding their breath to see the outcome today.....

AE

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My husband spoke to his brother today in SD, and the brother said he's glued to the TV because today the PLD is holding a meeting in a stadium, and the senators [I think that's what he said] have collected 2 million [??????] signatures from residents who want Leonel to run again. Even though the constitution says he can't. Apparently there are a lot of people holding their breath to see the outcome today.....

AE

It appears that it's a go for Leonel. I might add, to the big satisfaction of the Hippo boys. He will be easier to beat come election time.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
It's hard for me to see how another Hip?lito Mej?a presidency would be a good thing for the Dominican Republic even though I confess that I enjoyed and took advantage of the currency rate while he was in office.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Sometimes a good thing can turn into a bad one too...

The way elections have evolved in the DR, it's hard to tell who'll win a head to head run come the real deal. It's incredible that in such a short time elections are void of massive fraud, which rendered those held in the past as in your face kind of "hand-picks".

A run head to head of Hippo and Margarita/Leonel would be very close indeed!
A run of MV VS the same duo above or Danilo? A huge loss for the PRD for sure. People just don't like MVM's face. It's like the guy nobody wants to have headshots from in their picture's album.

If MVM forces himself to be the candidate for the PRD, half the votes from the Party will go to the PLD for sure. If Hippo runs as the candidate, only those with interests of a MVM run would vote for the PLD.

A Hippo/MVM run is the only way the PRD can win for sure VS the PLD, no matter who runs for them.

Just like that, the PLD knows that will never happen in this world and MVM is too "Despota" to run second fiddle to Hippo.

I told you already that this PLD run will be wife/first husband come 2012. Leonel's supporters within needed the top honchos to sign off, on allowing Margarita to be cast as the candidate by majority in the party.

The PLD runners got the message from their ranks, that they support the duo as proposed via Leonel.

The trick for the PLD will be on how to transfuse that "dynamic", from his figure to his wife as President. The DR is very much a "Macho" country, voting for a woman will not be an easy task to achieve.

Notice how the Margarita's image is being "primed" in the background" and prodded...

If the top leaders from within the PLD don't agree to have her run as the candidate, a new twist will take shape in trying to allow Leonel a run via a referendum which could override the constitutional ban (Yes! This is not only contemplated within the law but also of legal grounds under the DR constitution).

images-golocalprov-com--lifestyle_videowallmargarita-279x360.jpg

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
"to allow Leonel a run via a referendum which could override the constitutional ban (Yes! This is not only contemplated within the law but also of legal grounds under the DR constitution)."

Would you please elaborate on this Pichardo.

Jul 4, 2010
Robert should charge you for this campaign.

This picture is spamming the forum...

JJ

At the local colmad?n, after imbibing my second Presidente, I could not help myself burdening the patrons with my own unsophisticated political analysis. Before Leonel's speech on Saturday, I swore he would propose do?a Margarita for the candidacy. However, I interpreted his speech as a not too subtle slant toward the candidacy of Danilo Medina.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
From a personal perspective the big difference I notice is at the airports and customs- under the PRD they are all thieves, and looking for a bribe. This is very rare under the PLD - MUCH MORE PROFESSIONAL.

Haha, that is why the PRDeistas call the PLDeistas "come solos" only because the PLD hold the best jobs and won't allow them to conduct their corrupted bribes requests. The funny thing is that they are the true greedy come solos because even when they are in office holding the best jobs they are still not satisfied and want to illegally generate more.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Let's try and remain neutral here on that!

Both the PLD and PRD continue with major corruption to this day. That's a fact!

The problem faced by any political candidate vying for the presidency, is that they can't get there without the support of both good and bad platanos.

That corruption during the PLD administration is less emboldened is a given, but there's still plenty to fill the book on it!

To me the PRD or the PLD are not that distanced, since they both got their roots on the same principles and father tree. Where the PLD leaves the PRD in the dust and prostrated is on the handling of the economy.

The PRD at this point in time as administrator of the RD's economy would be suicidal...

Hippo's policies during his tenure will be the same administered to our recovering economy. You only need to look back to see where that took us down to.

For all it's worth, I think of Leonel Fernandez as a good leader. But if he opts to force upon a change to the constitution to make a run for it, all his legacy as a great reformer will be lost in a breeze.

We have to learn to respect the rule of Law and abide by it 100%; if the President of the country doesn't respect the Law, who will?

He should run as first husband and nothing more. If...
images-golocalprov-com--lifestyle_videowallmargarita-279x360.jpg

I hope...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
So, Pichardo, how was your talk with Juan Luis & Wilton ????
What color are they going to pick up for our t-shirts & baseball caps ?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I completely agree with your take Pichardo that LF will loose credibility and his legacy will be ruined if he runs, and I totally agree with your view as respects the rule of law. It would not have been surprising if, or difficult for, LF and the PLD to have omitted the term limitation in the constitution when they enacted it, but now, it is the law of the land and he should respect that. His wife's running is acceptable. I question, however, whether a female can win the presidency of the Dominican Republic, even if she is LF's wife. That, would be interesting.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
That my friend can be said to be what's eating gilbert grape...

Can she win it for the PLD? In theory they would be voting for Fernandez (if they understand it) when they vote for her. The big money question is if this macho society is ready to elect a woman as head of state???

The PLD base seems to think that with Fernandez in the mix, she can win it...

Maybe we're really too afraid of the PRD handling the recovering economy of the DR, to even look at the facts with clarity?

For me, there's no question at all. Fernandez shouldn't run for office as President, period! We have to set the stand at respecting the constitution from the top down.

The DR had got to learn to respect the Law if we're to develop into a prosperous nation in the world. There are no "if" or "buts" about that!

But this being the DR, nothing seems to phase me anymore at all.

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
Here is what Leonel should do. Respect the Constitution and not run for a 3rd term. Also in regards to the 2.2 million signatures presented to him, he needs to say thank you, I am very humbled by your support but I cannot run again and very publicly endorse Danilo, become his biggest cheerleader and tell everyone of those 2.2 million to vote for Danilo.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Here is what Leonel should do. (...)very publicly endorse Danilo, become his biggest cheerleader and tell everyone of those 2.2 million to vote for Danilo.
Yeah Man !!! Exactly !!! Danilo is the most capable guy around, regardless of his charisma...

Jan 3, 2003
It's difficult to separate personal bankruptcy from corporate bankruptcy when you own majority shares and have Executive control.

In fairness to The Donald, he's a master at leveraged financing and such strategies will lend themselves to financial problems when revenues decline or the business plan has negative variances.

FWIW, his Cap Cana project is a huge failure.

Donald Trump = Dominican Republic

Both are able to garnish large amounts of money through creative financing. Both are unable to make payments. Both are able to game the system time and time again once they have failed to pay on a timely basis. Both are able to restructure loans and continue in the game. Both despite being what I would consider serious credit risks continue to get more money from the suckers who are all too willing to give it up.

Actually, the suckers are all the taxpayers who despite being simple cogs in a machine pay for all of this waste via devalued money, inflation and a continually declining standard of living. They get to be high rollers and the rest, the working stiffs, foot the bill. They get bailed out with easy money from central banks and the working stiffs pick up the slack.