"Little Jamaica" in Boca Chica

Aug 6, 2006
Dominicans are expert in making spaghetti inedible. They seem to like it, but blauuugh!

Bahamians have some of the best recipes for conch (lamb?), at least in my opinion. If you overcook lambi, you might as well have substituted tofu, except it is tougher and requires more chewing.
conch fritters are really great when done right. If there is anyone that does them well in the DR, I have not met him/her.
By the way, this dish takes thyme.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am not into hot food. I find Dominican food often bland because everything is seasoned the same way and many time overcooked (heavy use of cubes and i like them !). Of course, there are some good dishes. I wouldn't go as far as comparing Italian food to Dominican food, lol. Have you tasted spaghetti in DR ? The opposite of Al dente.

It depends where you're eating that spaghetti Aida :) Even the US they sell it in cans [ugh!].

I'm not comparing the food, just the spices. Anyone can ruin any dish, even with the finest ingredients. I've seen pizza in DR that I shudder at, and I've also eaten pizza in DR that was in my top 10, both this year. One was in Dominicus [AnnaC, what's the name of that restaurant we went to??], one was in Santo Domingo [Il Giardino, in front of the El Embajador]. Both places run by Italians from Italy.

I know you go to LT - if the same Italian guy still owns Los Pinos Hotel, try their restaurant, it was very good!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It depends where you're eating that spaghetti Aida :) Even the US they sell it in cans [ugh!].

I'm not comparing the food, just the spices. Anyone can ruin any dish, even with the finest ingredients. I've seen pizza in DR that I shudder at, and I've also eaten pizza in DR that was in my top 10, both this year. One was in Dominicus [AnnaC, what's the name of that restaurant we went to??], one was in Santo Domingo [Il Giardino, in front of the El Embajador]. Both places run by Italians from Italy.

I know you go to LT - if the same Italian guy still owns Los Pinos Hotel, try their restaurant, it was very good!

I will try it for sure ! I had delicious Italian food in DR (and pizza) in LT, but yes they were done by Italians too. When I ask my ninera to cook pasta (and many dishes), I always keep an eye on the cooking and tell her to drain the pasta at least a day before she would have decided to :laugh: But, she does a mean pescado con coco so she is forgiven.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I am not into hot food. I find Dominican food often bland because everything is seasoned the same way and many time overcooked (heavy use of cubes and i like them !). Of course, there are some good dishes. I wouldn't go as far as comparing Italian food to Dominican food, lol. Have you tasted spaghetti in DR ? The opposite of Al dente.

AE is comparing the SPICES or SEASONINGS used in Dominican and Italian which are the same.
Both use oregano, garlic, basil, thyme, peppers, onions and tomatoes in their cooking.

Oops! AE, I just read your post to Aida with your explanation.:)

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
i am still trying to figure out those tiny cups of coffee with 5 tablespoons of sugar.

The tiny cups are same ones that the Turkish use to drink their coffee.(demitasse) The reason for it is that the coffee is served very STRONG! So it is served in very small portions.

I drank it one time and almost sent me into a coma.:laugh: You are suppose to drink it in one gulp.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The tiny cups are same ones that the Turkish use to drink their coffee.(demitasse) The reason for it is that the coffee is served very STRONG! So it is served in very small portions.

I drank it one time and almost sent me into a coma.:laugh: You are suppose to drink it in one gulp.

coma ?
You meant into an Irregular Heartbeat. no ?? LOL
yeagh, that coffee in Turkey is the best.. nice and thick.
and if you occasionally smoke cigarettes... and someone offers you an unfiltered hand rolled one there... LOOK THE F*** out..
do NOT take too many puffs too quickly cause you will get light headed and be unable to walk properly.
they seem to do everything strong there.
Lot of Turks in Germany, they all seem to own little stores... good stuff in there.
sorry for off topic.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
coma ?
You meant into an Irregular Heartbeat. no ?? LOL
yeagh, that coffee in Turkey is the best.. nice and thick.
and if you occasionally smoke cigarettes... and someone offers you an unfiltered hand rolled one there... LOOK THE F*** out..
do NOT take too many puffs too quickly cause you will get light headed and be unable to walk properly.
they seem to do everything strong there.
Lot of Turks in Germany, they all seem to own little stores... good stuff in there.
sorry for off topic.

Just teasing, I was unprepared by how strong it was.lol!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans are expert in making spaghetti inedible. They seem to like it, but blauuugh!

Bahamians have some of the best recipes for conch (lamb?), at least in my opinion. If you overcook lambi, you might as well have substituted tofu, except it is tougher and requires more chewing.
conch fritters are really great when done right. If there is anyone that does them well in the DR, I have not met him/her.
By the way, this dish takes thyme.

yes, there is someone in the DR who makes good conch fritters.

i do.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Come out and visit us again when we get back, I'll cook some for you. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That will work!! I want to do some filming at that old sugar planation not to fare from your place. Are you familiar with it?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That will work!! I want to do some filming at that old sugar planation not to fare from your place. Are you familiar with it?

Do you mean the one over the mountain through Duveaux? It's still functional as far as I know, we pass it often, and the last time they had just harvested a few of the massive fields.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Do you mean the one over the mountain through Duveaux? It's still functional as far as I know, we pass it often, and the last time they had just harvested a few of the massive fields.

Not sure but the one I'm thinking of is not functioning, I think it was own by Trujillo.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
wonderful photos, frank.

a guy once posted that if you go through life and never eat a roti, you have not lived.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not sure but the one I'm thinking of is not functioning, I think it was own by Trujillo.

Okay, my husband thinks he knows where it is, it's before you reach us, after Nigua. He's seen a school called Batey-something, and it's near Trujillo's endless fields where UMPHU now raises cattle. He said to tell you that he'd be glad to go to find it with you. Unless we make a shorter trip before then, we're coming down on Dec 27th, so I hope you're not in a rush :) There's a bus from the capital that stops right at our street.

Apologies for the OT posting.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
wonderful photos, frank.

a guy once posted that if you go through life and never eat a roti, you have not lived.

On one of my trips to the DR I need to go check out the new joint.;) The photo of the oxtails had me drooling!

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
a batch of those will be on its way to member bigbird tomorrow, courtesy of the gorgon.

There is a Jamaican restaurant not too far from where I live in Southern NJ and I went there to eat with
one of my sons. I ordered Jerk chicken, rice and peas and fried sweet plantain and ginger beer. It was
so good!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is a Jamaican restaurant not too far from where I live in Southern NJ and I went there to eat with
one of my sons. I ordered Jerk chicken, rice and peas and fried sweet plantain and ginger beer. It was
so good!

it is a skill making good ginger beer....there is a Jamaican guy on Sosua beach that sells it, and it is foul.