Living in DR - Working & Getting Married

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Silly me, I guess me (and the other responders) misunderstood the OP, now I understand, you are waiting to hear what you want to hear!

Franceska, hurry up, sell everything you own, move to the DR and marry your BF. I'm sure you'll be impressed how loyal, giving and faithful this person you met on vacation will be!

Don't wory about a work visa, you'll find a great job within a few days that pays big money, and you'll be able to retire within few years.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Silly me, I guess me (and the other responders) misunderstood the OP, now I understand, you are waiting to hear what you want to hear!

Franceska, hurry up, sell everything you own, move to the DR and marry your BF. I'm sure you'll be impressed how loyal, giving and faithful this person you met on vacation will be!

Don't wory about a work visa, you'll find a great job within a few days that pays big money, and you'll be able to retire within few years.

Franceska

May 29, 2005
You guys make me laugh...

You know what JDJones, e-mail me in one year, maybe I will still be with that same guy, maybe I will be with a different one, maybe I will be alone by myself.

One thing is sure, I will be in DR living & working.
I don't just love my boyfriend there, I love the country, I love the way of life there and I love Dominicans in general.

I have read these sankies stories YES and I do not think he is any of that. Yes many are, no all Dominicans are not the same, just like all Canadians aren't the same.

If it is impossible for a Dominican to visit his wife's country after married, can you explain to me how my aunt (who is now living in DR) came to live here in Canada for a while with her husband (who is Dominican)? They decided to move back there but still have a house here so they can come whenever they have holidays?

And what would be the point for those Sankies to get married with Foreign if you say they can't even go to their wife's country!??!?!

I came here to get more info but maybe I should stick with people who actually know what they're talking about & did experience the exact situation... It's so easy for you to talk **** about people like that..

Anyways! Thanks for those useful links, this is what I needed.

Franceska

May 29, 2005
By the way CyaBye,

I never mentionned how I met this guy nor where he works. You just assumed all that. Who says I own anything here? You assumed...

I don't want advices on my relationship or my life! I want FACTS & INFOS from people who knows.

I know how to deal with my personal life thank you. :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Don't argue with these people they need to learn everything for themselves, most often the hard way.

To the OP
Spend more time searching for your answers than defending yourself. Here are the answers.

DR Laws.

http://dr1.com/legal/migration/residences.shtml

http://dr1.com/legal/migration/residences.shtml

Canadian laws

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.html

And I'm surprised your Aunt hasn't told you about working illegally. It can be done but you take your chances.

Now read read read read. ;)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
JDJones said:
I'm gonna put a reminder in my calendar to send an email to this young lady in 1 year, to ask her how things turned out with her true love.
Anybody want to give me odds?

A year? You're way too generous.

Scandall

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let Me Save You Some Time And Trouble!

Don't know where in Canada you are from,but I bet they have some hotels there????? Ok,go down to the best hotel in your town.Find a Black "Doorman","Bartender","Busboy","Valet Parker","Janitor",or someone similar.Let them know that you are "available" if they want you.
Have a sexual relationship with them! You will save airfare,hotel bills,food,etc.You will still have what you want.A Black Guy who will have sex with a "White Whale",tell you how beautiful you are,and dump you like old laundry when he finds something better! It will be cold 9 months out of the year,but in the end you will be 100% better off!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You don't want to do what I recommend? But you are "Hot & Bothered" to do just that with a guy who earns much less money,doesn't speak English,and comes from a culture where women are "Disposable"!!

May God Protect you!"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccc

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I live and work here. If you do not have exceptional or tourism related skills and are bilingual or trilingual you will have a hard time here getting a good job. That is assuming you want anything like a Canadian standard of living.

I have assumed you are talking about a "typical" dominican man. I am not being derogatory, I am being factual, they make very very little money regardless of the job they do. He may not be a sankie, but he most likely is poor. NOw, if this is not true - tell us up front.

Sure there are jobs available. Can you live on $8,000 pesos a month? That is what you might earn as a bartender including your tips. That is about $250 US a month. From this deduct the cost of getting to and from work every day! Then pay your rent on a dump of an apartment. OR, you can choose to live with your boyfriend in his parents house if that is an option.

When I first came to this country I lived very much like a Dominican, but not a really poor one. I lived on less then $300 US, just me and without expensive habits! It is not easy. IT is easy to say, oh I like a simple lifestyle, very different to do it.

Your boyfriend, even after you marry, will most likely NOT get a visa to Canada. I have done work for the embassy and they are issuing very very few visas. It will of course help if his family is rich, he has major assets in his own name and he already has a visa to the US. Otherwise do NOT get your hopes up!

To work legally you first get your residencia - you face the cost and the waiting time. Make sure you have a minimum 6 months living expenses and $ for an emergency fund in the bank!!!

Regarding your personal life - you may in fact know how to deal with it but you may not know how people here deal with it. The information may not always be presented inthe way you want to hear it but everyone here actually means well. We see so much of this it is unbelievable. We are trying to help.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Trumpeting from Canada

Franceska said:
....I need some info regarding working, living and getting married in DR (eventually that is!)
I have family members & a wondeful boyfriend in DR. I've been 6 times since January....

It escapes me why someone who seems to know for certain so many things about her future would come here and ask US.
She has had enough opportunities to do her homework whenever she came here. Her family and her novio could help in getting all the answers.
I think all she wanted to do is shout out loud that she will come to the DR and live happily ever after.
Done.
Next please.

M'frog

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
mountainfrog said:
It escapes me why someone who seems to know for certain so many things about her future would come here and ask US.
She has had enough opportunities to do her homework whenever she came here. Her family and her novio could help in getting all the answers.
I think all she wanted to do is shout out loud that she will come to the DR and live happily ever after.
Done.
Next please.

M'frog

So, Franceska...how do you like the welcoming committee so far?

Think we've heard your story a few times before?

Don't take it personally. But don't forget any of it either. The people here speak from experience.

Scandall

Franceska

May 29, 2005
Scandall... Can you tell me what my story is?

I never even said anything about my story as you say... You only presume everything...

I'm am 100% sure my story isn't what you think of... But just the fact that everyone here presumed they know everything makes me sick.

If you live there and want to know in order to give me advices that my help regarding me working there, send me a PM.

And anyone else too... But i'm off this thread.

Thanks, Franceska

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
BTW today is the 27th just wondering if your boyfriend got his vistor's visa yet?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Escott said:
What do you suppose the odds are of that knowing what you do about these boys? Want to bet that the family she refers to is his family? That one is a great scam.

Now I could be wrong of course but then again, the weather may be beach weather in NY tomorrow.

What do you think?

Escott
I think I was not implying anything to do with the likelyhood.
I was speaking hypothetically since I get the impression that these stringent criteria may not necessarily apply both ways.
It is hard enough to find someone to love and marry.
If the pool of potential partners is limited to only those of equal bank accounts and levels of education it would be extremely difficult.
Surely there are numerous successful marriages that started with one spouse having more cash and/or education.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
BTW today is the 27th just wondering if your boyfriend got his vistor's visa yet?

Maybe she cannot reply right now, I mean if she went to the airport to meet him...:surprised