Living in DR - Working & Getting Married

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Franceska,
I know there that is a lot of negativity on this forum, but I do wish you the best of luck!!! :classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Franceska: As you can see, my first post was just the harbinger for what was to come.
Could you please tell us your side of the story? I mean, after all, if it is different, perhaps we can guide you along a less rocky path...

Some things you should know: Once you get your rather costly Residencia, you will have to renew it every year for about RD$15,000 pesos, at least that is what I was told by a young Colombian woman recently.

If you are not at least bi-lingual (Spanish and almost anything else!) where could you work? Unless you are a gifted and extremely talented technician in the computer industry, or something equally technical, or have an MS/MBA in Industrial Engineering, Metalurgy(?), Telecommunications, or at least a BA in TESOL, or a certificate from the Alliance Francaise, I can't imagine where you could find work. If you have an advanced degree from a fairly well known university, such as McGill, or U. Quebec you might find a job at one of the Universities....

So let us know, and if you have a talent, we can surely help you, or, conversely, tell you the straight truth...

Heck, ask your Aunt how long it took her to get a visa for her husband, and you'll begin to see the problems. (Unless he is a well employed professional, then he would have qualified on his own...)

HB :D:D:D

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Too Much

Hillbilly said:
Once you get your rather costly Residencia, you will have to renew it every year for about RD$15,000 pesos, at least that is what I was told by a young Colombian woman recently

Too much Hillbilly, she got ripped. Just renewed mine for 3000rd included the VIP rip to get it in one day.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In my first post, I asked where you plan to work, to guide you further concerning working visa vv no visa.
You desided to take that as an insult, instead of keeping a conversation.

My best advice, and I do live here as many others does that have given you advice, is to listen, take it in, and use it when you arrive and experience your own reality here.

If you don´t have any of the education or experience that HB is mentioning, it IS hard to find work here.
Even in tourism and at bars, where the salary is commission based or based on tip.
If you speak both English and French, you might have a chance to get to work in tourism, in selling tours or simular. This is 100 % commissionbased job, with no benefits, nor any fixed salary.
For this you would not need a working visa.

If you plan to apply for other kinds of jobs, i.e such as teaching at private schools, working at a university etc, then a working visa is to suggest.
Once you apply for your residencia and get your temporary one, you can work legally though.

You asked in one of your posts, if it is not possible to get a "local" job with a local salary. It is, if you have better or equal qualities as the locals, and even those jobs are very hard to get for someone "new" in the society.
Most smaller businesses are family runned as you know, and the options for getting a job there is equal to zero.

So take a look at your education and skills, and of course we can guide you or as HB wrote, at least tell you your options, based on many years living here.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
My only question is if her Aunt is there - why is she coming to the Board for answers? Shouldn't her aunt be able to get her the answers she needs?

Franceska

May 29, 2005
Holaaa Everyone!

Alright I didn't want to come here anymore but as I see, there ae many new posts so I will tell you my side story... I guess you might be able to give me the infos I needed first.

Regarding my boyfriend, he isn't the poorest nor the richest. He owns 2 houses so if things go well with him, I would live there. If things turn out weird, I will find my own place.

I'm studying in tourism, will get my degree in March 06. I speak French as a first language, english as you can see and of course spanish. I spent one year working as a concierge in a hotel in England and now work in a travel agency until i finish. I applied to be Dest. Representative for a Canadian company which turned out good but as they wanted someone right now & I wanted to finish my course, I didn't take it.

I will be living in San Pedro de Macoris once I get there. Then will try to find work around Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, San Pedro or La Romana... if impossible, will try to find elsewhere and move there. But of course, that wouldn't be the best option.

As for my aunt, she now lives in La Romana, works alot and is very busy with her 3 kids so I am not bothering her with my questions from here.

I'm not going there not knowing how life is. In fact, that is exactly what I am looking for and that's why i'm going. As I said, i've been there 5 times since January 06 and only once did I go to a resort. Everytime, I am with my aunt, her family, my boyfriend, his family as well as other friends I have...

So please, don't pretend I'm one of these fat-ugly-girls or "White Whale" who only wants sex with some black man.... I know many are like that and I have read all the stories on here..

I'm young and the only thing I own here is a car. So selling it wouldn't be a problem at all...

So thanks again, I did get some good advices & info even tho some people here can be very mean. I know you might know better because you live there now, but there are ways of saying things...

Fr.

Franceska

May 29, 2005
Thanks Malibook,
I know what I want & will do in order to suceed, be happy & live long ;)

Ciao,
Fr.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Hey... Sounds like all the DR1 witches, warlocks and future tellers failed in this one... Keep the good attitude!

Happy Halloween!! and best luck!!!

Jess

Last edited:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Franceska said:
Hola everyone!

I need some info regarding working, living and getting married in DR (eventually that is!)

I have family members & a wondeful boyfriend in DR. I've been 6 times since January and I only have until March 06 to wait for until I move there for good. God knows how much I look forward to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm from Canada by the way...

Now regarding work - I need a Working Visa until I can get my Permanent Res. over there right? Is it hard to get it? What uf I can't get it? If someone can tell me how to proceed or their own experience with that, would be nice to know before I start the whole thing.

When & How can I get my Permanent Res. card once I'm there?

About getting married - Ok one day I will definitely get married and was wondering how complicated it is? Do I get the Citizenship? What about my Canadian Citizenship, do I have something to do in order to keep it? What about my future husband, is it complicated for him to come with me to visit Canada? I don't plan on coming back here so there's no need for him to get the Canadian Citizenship or Residency but how could we tried in the event that we would like to?

Well hope someone can give me a little more info on all that...
Most of all, regarding the working visa as it is the most important!

Muchas gracias!!
Franceska

OK I am posting the entire original post, so we an all read along together. . . .
I might be dense, but I am not seeing where the OP asked opinions on her relationship? Where did she ask to take bets on how long it lasts? I don't see how one could tell her novio is black, works at a resort, lives with his family, and that she is a "white whale" by reading this post.

Is there a course I can take to be as cool as you people? "Reading between the lines 101" maybe? "Making others feel like **** so I can feel better about myself for beginners" maybe?

If you have been here so long asto be so darn jaded and opinionated. . . .take a friggin break. . . .have a life outside of DR1. . . .SKIP threads that will make you look stupid when you post. . . . .

All the whining about answering the same old questions. . . .so DON'T answer. . . .skip the threads. . . . .it is possible. . . . .

Have any of you jaded and grouchy old timers ever been in love? if you are in love, can people "talk you out of love"? How do you feel when people rip apart the person you love? Do you give them a free pass because they are "right"?

Insanity is repeating the same actions and expecting different results. Somebody dig through the archives and find me ONE time that you talked someone out of being in love? No matter how "stupid" their story, or how many of hillbillys silly ass rules they broke. . . did anybody ever listen?

No. . . .you friggin dummies. . . .they were in love. . . .if you don't have anything nice to say. . . .shut up, and stop jumping to conclusions, bashing peoples choice in significant others, unless that makes you feel better about your wife, novia, husband or novio. . . .

I want to make a feature request for the forums. When you click on a poster's name and can view their profile etc etc etc, I would like to have a link that lets us read a posters first 20 posts ever on DR1, so we can see the extremely intelligent and interesting posts we all made when we were "newbies". . .

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Franceska said:
Holaaa Everyone!

So please, don't pretend I'm one of these fat-ugly-girls or "White Whale" who only wants sex with some black man.... I know many are like that and I have read all the stories on here..

Fr.

Many are like that? Chris is EXACTLY like that. You and him should be best buddies. He should be calling you "manita" rather than trashing you. Heck if your novio played for the other team and had no problem with you banging 400 peso barrio boys . . . . you and chris would be friggin twins. . . . . .lol

Oops. . . that is assuming that you are a "white whale" as chris called you. That also assumes your novio is black. . . . ..of course people can figure out your entire life story by reading a few paragraphs you write online.

You need to understand. . . .Chris's main reason to live in the DR, has to do with getting laid, so he assumes that would be your reason as well.

I am not sure how "white" CC is but rumor has it Chris's first trip to the DR was to Samana for the winter. . . . .you do the math. . .. .

visit the photo section. . . .look for chris's pics. . . . .you will soon see if he did not live in the DR, he couldn't get laid in a whore house with a fist full of $50s. . . . .

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........................

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Rafael it's a default of 500 so if the poster has less than 500 posts you can see them all.

I've been here about 7 years. I read a lot and got to know the posters without lashing out at what they had to say although no one ever lashed out at me. ;)

I've only been a mod for two years so I've put in my time as poster.

Last edited:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
carina said:
HB is our wiseman:

Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for getting serious with a Resort worker or any other Dominican for that matter:

1) He has a bank account equal to your own-in pesos, not dollars or pounds (You have 100 pounds, he has 100 pesos, that's all.). He has a Credit Card and can write a cheque.
2) He has a Visa to travel to the US or Canada
3) He is educated to the equivalent of your own level: High School, Tech School whatever.....
If there is a "no" to any one of these, then essentially you are wasting your time

Link: http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33125

OK. . . .I am on a roll. . . or a "rant". . . .and since Hillbilly has posted some of the most useful info on this board and is obviously and intelligent guy, I sorta feel bad. . . . . .

but those rules have always cracked me up. . . .

1- so poor people are a waste of time? If you don't have a credit card, you are a waste of time?

2-I would think that the vast majority of dominicans do NOT have a visa to the US. That makes the vast majority of dominicans wastes of time.

3- I have never been big on formal education, but knowing a bit about Hillbilly's BG I can see it being important to him. In some ways and for some careers I always felt formal education could be a waste of time. In some ways I feel that in some cases formal education is for those not smart enough or talented enough to succeed without it. In my field, a degree means squat. In fact later in life I toyed with going back to school to get a degree, but I was already dealing with every university in my area and I was teaching the professors who were woefully out of touch with the industry and the technology, so I decided it would be a "waste of my time".

I guess I don't see why one would hold it against someone who most likely didn't have the oppurtunity for a higher education. I did, and certainly did not take advantage of it, and I don't think I am a "waste of time", let alone some bright guy or girl born in a country where they don't have the same oppurtunities.

I am willing to bet that many people on this board have spouses or significant others that do not pass the hillbilly criteria.

I am not sure why people think that others should pick a spouse by their criteria?

Hillbilly values formal education over say, how good of a parent someone may be, but do we all have to do the same?

Having a visa is more important than if someone loves you and respects you.

You could be caring, generous, bright, high moral character, but if you don't have a credit card and checking acount. . . .forget it?

I have been in love with 2 dominican women. One would have passed 2 out of the 3 HB rules, the second didn't pass any. Neither worked out in the end, but I don't feel either one was a "waste of my time". . . . .

Of course I never came on here asking advice about my lovelife. . . .mostly because I could give a rats ass what a bunch of people who don't know me or my novia think. . . .LOL.

Some people do come on here and ask, and they get ripped apart, which is sort of sad. . . . .but the OP in this thread didn't ask, and she still got ripped. . . .that is REALLY sad. . . .