Living in DR - Working & Getting Married

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
rafael said:
OK. . . .I am on a roll. . . or a "rant". . . .and since Hillbilly has posted some of the most useful info on this board and is obviously and intelligent guy, I sorta feel bad. . . . . .

but those rules have always cracked me up. . . .
It is ok to have a difference of opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. This is a public message board and you always get the strangest mix of people. You are as entitled to your opinions just as I am to mine.
rafael said:
1- so poor people are a waste of time? If you don't have a credit card, you are a waste of time?
I think that this and other statements are specifically meant for the Deer in the Headlight people and not meant to be such a wide cast net you are taking it as. Of course there is nothing wrong with poor people, it is just the lovelorn from Canada who come here and get hoodwinked by the Sankies need to know the lay of the land.
rafael said:
2-I would think that the vast majority of dominicans do NOT have a visa to the US. That makes the vast majority of dominicans wastes of time.
Again I think this is meant to be a warning to a lot of women who get taken for the ride of their lives with the promise of love yet only the ability to accertain a gold digger and get seriously hurt.
rafael said:
3- I have never been big on formal education, but knowing a bit about Hillbilly's BG I can see it being important to him. In some ways and for some careers I always felt formal education could be a waste of time. In some ways I feel that in some cases formal education is for those not smart enough or talented enough to succeed without it. In my field, a degree means squat. In fact later in life I toyed with going back to school to get a degree, but I was already dealing with every university in my area and I was teaching the professors who were woefully out of touch with the industry and the technology, so I decided it would be a "waste of my time".
I agree however you are missing the point which is to protect the not so worldly and not so intelligent people who fall for the scams of the DR and NOT meant to be your rule of thumb to help you. You have an idea of what is real and what isn't. Some of these people just have no clue.

rafael said:
I guess I don't see why one would hold it against someone who most likely didn't have the oppurtunity for a higher education. I did, and certainly did not take advantage of it, and I don't think I am a "waste of time", let alone some bright guy or girl born in a country where they don't have the same oppurtunities.
Again you are taking this out of context. Put this together with what you usually see with the sankies and it starts to make sense.
rafael said:
I am willing to bet that many people on this board have spouses or significant others that do not pass the hillbilly criteria.
Mine actually exceeded this criteria yet it still didn't work out. Go figger...
rafael said:
I am not sure why people think that others should pick a spouse by their criteria?

Hillbilly values formal education over say, how good of a parent someone may be, but do we all have to do the same?
Everyone has to have their own values and bars to reach for. These are directed at a certain group of people who USUALLY post here.
rafael said:
Having a visa is more important than if someone loves you and respects you.

You could be caring, generous, bright, high moral character, but if you don't have a credit card and checking acount. . . .forget it?
I have failed to meet the first Sanky who actually loves and respects anyone. This is who these posts are trying to help people avoid.
rafael said:
I have been in love with 2 dominican women. One would have passed 2 out of the 3 HB rules, the second didn't pass any. Neither worked out in the end, but I don't feel either one was a "waste of my time". . . . .
Did you know what you were getting into? Did you know what to expect? Did they try to take you for all you have with false promises? A lot of these women who post here get taken for the rides of their lives. Did you? I think you are losing track of who and what these are meant to help.
rafael said:
Of course I never came on here asking advice about my lovelife. . . .mostly because I could give a rats ass what a bunch of people who don't know me or my novia think. . . .LOL.
Not only do I NOT have any desire to discuss my lovelife with strangers but I don't even discuss it with friends. Half the people think I am either gay or do the 1000 US dollar Russian Hookers which I am/do neither. I love to keep they nosey people guessing.
rafael said:
Some people do come on here and ask, and they get ripped apart, which is sort of sad. . . . .but the OP in this thread didn't ask, and she still got ripped. . . .that is REALLY sad. . . .
She got unasked for advice. As Andrea9k once pointed out "She goes the extra mile" when I mentioned that to her once.

You have to take what is said on a message board like this with the preverbial grain of salt. I know I certainly do. People are looking for different things here than others.

Hope to see you again soon.

Escott

Franceska

May 29, 2005
Hey Rafael...

First of all, I loved what you just wrote.
This is exactly what I was thinking but as I am the one who started the thread and surely considered a newbie on here, it would have just been another reason for them to talk sh** about me... so I didn't say a word..

But I'm glad you did, because it's all right... Thank you!

As you said, I never asked anything regarding my personnal life so believe me, everything they said about it didn't put me down one second....

I think exactly like you & no matter what happens with my novio, I could NEVER EVER say he was a waste of time... :)

Thanks Rafael,
Fr.

Franceska

May 29, 2005
Of and Escott,

It's always good to get "unasked advice" from people...

The only thing wrong with all that is that you & everyone else (almost) seemed to think from reading my post that I am just a silly Canadian girl who went to DR once and fell in love with a sankie. It went as far as saying I am a "White Whale" !

I have no idea how someone who doesn't know me, doesn't know my story & never saw me can pretend that and give me those unasked advices...

This is pretty sad & stupid.

Fr.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Franceska said:
I have no idea how someone who doesn't know me, doesn't know my story & never saw me can pretend that and give me those unasked advices...

This is pretty sad & stupid.

Fr.

Welcome to the Internet :)

Franceska

May 29, 2005
You're right Robert,

I guess I forgot Internet was full of people who don't have anything better to do with their life..... :)

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Escott said:
As Andrea9k once pointed out "She goes the extra mile" when I mentioned that to her once.

Escott

Scott, I don't expect you to understand this... not that I care too much, but here it goes anyway... I know at least 3 persons who have got better deals on their contracts as expatriates after knowing what the market is paying to others doing similar jobs. Information is critical to succeed when you go through a negotiation process. I know of others who have tried it and failed.

My mistake was assuming that thread's OP was in the same scheme. But after reading what was it about I made a better informed post.

I think the big difference is the intent people have when they post. Nobody in their sane mind would consider most of the posts in this thread as well intentioned. At least not me.

Jess

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Escott said:
I think that this and other statements are specifically meant for the Deer in the Headlight people and not meant to be such a wide cast net you are taking it as. Of course there is nothing wrong with poor people, it is just the lovelorn from Canada who come here and get hoodwinked by the Sankies need to know the lay of the land.

Ok. . . .so I went just a bit "over the top". . . .he he he he. That was sort of intentional as in many cases the "veterans" replies to newbies can be way over the top. I may "get" that much of this is for "deer in headlight" people but I am not sure newbies are going to "get it".

I also think most dear in the headlights people aren't going to listen. . . .I may be wrong. . . .but I don't remember one person in love with a sankie saying
"thank you all for opening my eyes and allowing me to see that the man I am in love with, may not be all I thought he was".. . .

Escott said:
Again I think this is meant to be a warning to a lot of women who get taken for the ride of their lives with the promise of love yet only the ability to accertain a gold digger and get seriously hurt.

I agree however you are missing the point which is to protect the not so worldly and not so intelligent people who fall for the scams of the DR and NOT meant to be your rule of thumb to help you. You have an idea of what is real and what isn't. Some of these people just have no clue.Escott

I get all that as well. I think it is possible to nicely try to warn people and do so RESPECTFULLY. I don't think calling them a whale is very respectful. . . . .

Escott said:
Again you are taking this out of context. Put this together with what you usually see with the sankies and it starts to make sense.
Mine actually exceeded this criteria yet it still didn't work out. Go figger...
Everyone has to have their own values and bars to reach for. These are directed at a certain group of people who USUALLY post here.
Escott

That was part of my point. Maybe we could be a bit more patient before assuming all posters are like the ones that "usually" post here?

Escott said:
I have failed to meet the first Sanky who actually loves and respects anyone. This is who these posts are trying to help people avoid.
Did you know what you were getting into? Did you know what to expect? Did they try to take you for all you have with false promises? A lot of these women who post here get taken for the rides of their lives. Did you? I think you are losing track of who and what these are meant to help.

Escott

I got all of that. My point was whether you believe you are right or wrong for criticizing, you are bashing someones wife/novia or husband/novio. I would think that there may be a few posters here that have significant others or are madly inlove with people that don't pass some silly test. . . .or as other posters might say. . ."have african features, bad hair and are low class chopos". . .. In some circles that gets ones ass kicked.

Some of us are smart enough to see that much of that is just some people's natural tendency to make themselves feel better or more important by belittling others or making them feel inferior. . . . .some might not get that and throw down and ass whippin at the next Escott Turkey Day Bash. . . . .lol. . . .
Escott said:
Not only do I NOT have any desire to discuss my lovelife with strangers but I don't even discuss it with friends. Half the people think I am either gay or do the 1000 US dollar Russian Hookers which I am/do neither. I love to keep they nosey people guessing.

Escott

Those people are nuts. . . .I know you never pay more than $850. . . .LOL

She got unasked for advice. As Andrea9k once pointed out "She goes the extra mile" when I mentioned that to her once.

You have to take what is said on a message board like this with the preverbial grain of salt. I know I certainly do. People are looking for different things here than others.

Hope to see you again soon.

Escott[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I do take most everything with a grain of salt. Soem feel the need to "protect" these newbies from sankies. . . . .me I am here to protect them from being called Whales.. . . .by a guy that may possibly weigh a hundred pounds more than my fat ass. . . . .LOL

I am trying to get down to the DR in the next few weeks and may even stay in Sosua for a few days. I have never cruised for UBHs, except when you took me AZBs favorite cabarete spot ;-) seriously, I am sure we'll run into each other and have a few beers!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Escott said:
I had the pleasure of hanging out with Rafael for a couple of hours a couple of days. He is an enjoyable person to hang with.

Escott

Likewise. . . . it goes to show. . . .before meeting you in person. . . .I sort of had the idea you may be a pompous ass. . . . .LOL. . . .good thing I reserved judgement. . . . .see ya soon. . . . .

Seriously it was cool getting a mini tour of the north coast and thanks for the ride!!

ade

Jun 14, 2005
why is everyone so negative about everything - give living in DR a go - but keep your eyes open and be true to your heart - if things don't work out go home! By the way you'll need all your documents - birth cert, etc translating into spanish by an official and not a friend

good luck

mabi78

Nov 23, 2005
Franceska,
I'm a Dominican currently reciding in New York City. I'm married to an anglo-saxon woman who loves me, my family, and my country, and the same goes for me. I'm sorry that people in this forum have collected the worst images of Dominican Men and the DR to share with the rest of us, and I admire and respect your confidense. Dominicans have a problem with women who are independent and self-reliant. As a single man, I was fed up with the attitude most Dominican women bring to relationships--They expect the man to be "100% financially responsible for their well-being". They are brought up that way, so it's not their fault. So, that's why many Dominicans, like myself, get fed up and look for relationship with women who look for love and emotional support in a man, not just for the wallet. I have a profession, and I am not, by any means, a "kept man", but I appreciate the fact that my wife can stand on her own two feet and she gets a lot more respect from me.
My wife and I have always dreamt about living in the DR, and soon we will. It's a beautiful country, and I don't neet to tell anyone the wonder of dominicanness...there's a spark of life that most northern countries lack in a big way!!

Lots of LUCK TO YOU, and wish you the best!!!