Many questions about the DR :)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Never heard of that - two times I have needed treatment a passort, cedula and valid credit card ( mastercard )has been great.
The other time the doctor just accepted the introduction of a friend and started treatment.
I suppose if you look like a criminal!

pi2

When I fractured my wrist, the hospital staff knew that I had broken both radius and ulna and they had my international insurance card and the guarantee of a well-known Dominican in Puerto Plata. They STILL demanded a copy of a credit card before they would even give medication for pain.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Never heard of that - two times I have needed treatment a passort, cedula and valid credit card ( mastercard )has been great.
The other time the doctor just accepted the introduction of a friend and started treatment.
I suppose if you look like a criminal!

pi2

By the way many banks here can issue international dollar credit cards. You just deposit twice the credit limit and top up after any spending. The annual charges are minimal. Perhaps a good idea if you do not have a US/Euope card and need to organize medical spending or a flight to the PR, US etc. Public hospitals do their best to help gringos if you are taken to one in an emergency. Friends have told me that a donation for medicines etc. is in order on completion of treatment.

pi2

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This video is so funny. Lawd of Mercy. Haven't laughed like that in a minute. I might have to respond with video so I don't offend with my humor. Someone already outed me with a text because of the Benny Hill joke. Its true you can tell a lot about a person by their jokes. I wont tell any monger jokes ill keep it clean. The names Buck Tooth Bandit!!!

Oh no....R U da Buck Toothed Bandit?

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
When I fractured my wrist, the hospital staff knew that I had broken both radius and ulna and they had my international insurance card and the guarantee of a well-known Dominican in Puerto Plata. They STILL demanded a copy of a credit card before they would even give medication for pain.

Yes, the credit card is important - carry a copy. I agree. There are hundreds of international insurances - some bogus I am sure.

In Thailand I had to pay for treatment by CC and then claim from the international insurance co later. The international insurance company would only deal with the hospital direct when the sum rose to $10,000.

pi2

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i gotta somewhat side with yanandu, i had a surgery last year (clinica union, santiago) and the total was 54k pesos. paid 24k out of my own pocket becuase i used my basic insurance. but a friend had a gastric bypass at more or less the same time in SD and she paid 11k dollars, american (not covered by insurance). so there, different procedures, different hospitals, different prices.
i was released from the hospital without payment, cash advance or CC details but then my guarantor was one of the bosses/owners.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
i gotta somewhat side with yanandu, i had a surgery last year (clinica union, santiago) and the total was 54k pesos. paid 24k out of my own pocket becuase i used my basic insurance. but a friend had a gastric bypass at more or less the same time in SD and she paid 11k dollars, american (not covered by insurance). so there, different procedures, different hospitals, different prices.
i was released from the hospital without payment, cash advance or CC details but then my guarantor was one of the bosses/owners.

Different policies on medical expenses. One is to self-finance up to $10 k dollars and have international insurance with $10,000 excess should a really complicated opearation or long time in ICU be necessary including evacuation. By the way if you need a new kidney you can buy one in India!
Many insurance policies limit operations with age - e.g. you are not going to get a heart or liver transplant over 65.

pi2

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I was operated on in Puerto Plata and spent three days in hospital. I really tried hard to find out the procedures for payment as I did not want to take a large wad of cash or my bank cards in with me. I was repeatedly told by my consultant and by the payments office "Don't worry about that now, we will sort that out later".

When the time came for me to be discharged they wouldn't let me leave until my account was settled. Eventually I was sent home in a taxi with a security guard with a handgun to pick up by bank card and then on to my bank. Not really a problem but I could have done without the hassle as I felt very fragile and was trickling urine everywhere. I have never got the same respect from the staff at my bank ever since.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Having worked in a Major Dominican Hospital for many years,there are subtle ways to be sure you are paid,BEFORE the patient leaves.
It is common to leave the patients "IV" inplace until the bill is paid.
We also posted security guards at the door to the room,until they paid.
If you die,the body is "HELD" until the bill is paid.
Welcome to "Paradise"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Having worked in a Major Dominican Hospital for many years,there are subtle ways to be sure you are paid,BEFORE the patient leaves.
It is common to leave the patients "IV" inplace until the bill is paid.
We also posted security guards at the door to the room,until they paid.
If you die,the body is "HELD" until the bill is paid.
Welcome to "Paradise"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It,s easy for gringos - just turn up with a credit card. I have heard of banks releasing funds to clinics etc. if the clinic presents the patients passort and signed withdrawl slip.
\
Dominicans normaly have relatives who can turn up with the cash - probably stored under the bed for such eventualities. Cuba now demands medical insurance fo visitors because people were turning up a free medical tourists.

Relatively few countries have treatment on demand without payment for foreigners. In the US demand of a credit card is common. Free treatment Is normally part of a reciprocal agreement with another country.
Emergency treatment in the UK is free for foreigners as are HIV treatments.

The DR through public hospitals provides free treatment for foreigners who cannot afford to pay.

pi2

pi2

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
It,s easy for gringos - just turn up with a credit card. I have heard of banks releasing funds to clinics etc. if the clinic presents the patients passort and signed withdrawl slip.
\
Dominicans normaly have relatives who can turn up with the cash - probably stored under the bed for such eventualities. Cuba now demands medical insurance fo visitors because people were turning up a free medical tourists.

Relatively few countries have treatment on demand without payment for foreigners. In the US demand of a credit card is common. Free treatment Is normally part of a reciprocal agreement with another country.
Emergency treatment in the UK is free for foreigners as are HIV treatments.

The DR through public hospitals provides free treatment for foreigners who cannot afford to pay.

pi2

pi2

Once again you are misleading people. Locals can get free "treatment" in public hospitals, but that does not include medication, other medical supplies, blood, or food.

Practical example... family member of our cleaning lady had a stomach ulcer which started bleeding. She needed blood and other medication. Treatment was free, but the 2 days in hospital ended up costing the family 20,000 rds. For the sceptics amongst you... no, she was not asking for money, she was telling us as a friend...

BelgianK

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, its a fact of life ; few countries are as well organized and generous as the UK, Japan and a few other countries. Elsewhere people have to be thrifty and save against unforseen eventualities. In the event of a major expense public collections are made.
There is a Worldwide trend for free treatment and medicine - Thailand also for example. In the DR government pharmacies stock medicines at moderate cost.

pi2

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, its a fact of life ; few countries are as well organized and generous as the UK, Japan and a few other countries. Elsewhere people have to be thrifty and save against unforseen eventualities. In the event of a major expense public collections are made.
There is a Worldwide trend for free treatment and medicine - Thailand also for example. In the DR government pharmacies stock medicines at moderate cost.

pi2

Please, oh please, honour us with some real life examples and their prices. In the DR I mean...

BelgianK

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Please, oh please, honour us with some real life examples and their prices. In the DR I mean...

BelgianK
My treatments over 8 years: Trapped nerve - daily attendance at home over 1 week twice a day on average to the house - blood tests, injections, medicines etc. till I was walking again 800 dollars. Small but deep wound , hit by motor cycle while walking. Deep stitches, 2 hours approx out of normal hours $200. Friends gall bladder operation in emergency $1,000.

I have heard of heart surgery about $10,000. There are local insurances that reduce bills.

Of course many gringos on facing a chronic condition would take up residence in their home countries UK, Spain, Canada etc.

Of course periodic heath checks and vaccinations are advisible for all. e.g. Hep A, B, Poio, Tetanus, Typhoid etc.

Of course there are no property taxes on moderate properties in the DR and other cost of living items are low priced.

pi2.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Of course there are no property taxes on moderate properties in the DR
pi2.

dominican-republic-tin-shack.jpg

Absolutely true

Barnab?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

BelgianK

Pi/Yanadu is not my favorite person, but I have to support one thing he claimed. There ARE inexpensive government pharmacies available.

As an example, I recently was prescribed a massive dose of prednisone for acute asthmatic bronchitis. The cost for seven tablets at a regular pharmacy was $860 RD. At the pharmacy in the public hospital of Puerto Plata, the same medicine is listed at a cost of $10RD per tablet.

Farmacias del Pueblo

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, a course of 10 antibiotic tablets will cost 15 pesos , about 40 cents.

Of course commercial pharmacies work to keep their prices down under such circumstances.

Its advantageous as the government can contract with major drug companies reasonable prices. Also an out of patent medication may be just as effictive as the latest expensive patented cure that is advertised heavily on TV in countries such as the US.
Of course I think not many people in the DR suffer restless leg syndrome.
Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Government Pharmacies" stock some medicines that are very generic(Sometimes)
If you need anything that is over a few hundred pesos for a perscription in a retail pharmacy,you can forget about the government pharmacies.
My mother-in-law spends several thousand pesos a month on her perscriptions,with "Her Money"!
Just as the DR has "Laws",which are not enforced,they have "programs", which are not funded.
Dept.of Education,only got 81% OF THEIR BUDGET FUNDED LAST YEAR.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Good work interpreting the many opinions.
I have calculated it up and down and I eat Dominican cooking at each meal. I cannot do it less than $2500/month. Just no slack otherwise.

So first of all, let me say thank you again. There is a ton of great info here and many of you took a good amount of time to write your post or private messages and we really, really appreciate it.

I asked about the figure of US$US1300 because it represents what we guesstimate my wife's teaching salary would be, including the housing allowance, and minus some lingering bills we would need to continue to pay in the US. It is also indicative of an ideal situation where I do not have to work for money, but could volunteer as a nurse throughout the DR.

That being said, however, this does not represent the only way (or income level) in which we might come down. It simply was the ideal way in which I could donate my time if it were viable. And while it sounds like it is viable, it doesn't sound like there is much wiggle room for travel, unexpected events, or even a night out. On the flipside, we don't need a beachfront property, a car, and dinner out 3 times a week either. But there are ways we can augment our income to come up from that US$1300/month figure. For example, working over the internet, maybe I could work at the school as well, or by working in the US in the summer months, etc...

As best as I can suss out from the many differing opinions (all of which sound valid, just coming from differing priorities and choices), it sounds like we would need to get to at least US$2100-$2300, or so, to start to not be living hand-to-mouth. We do have a dog as well, and would definitely need health insurance. We also want to see the country and we don't want to be worried where our next meal comes from.

So thank you again to EVERYONE! Truly it took all of your varying perspectives (and shopping lists...lol) to even begin to get a picture of what life in the DR is like (and, clearly, we don't really have that yet :) ). We would love to continue to hear any advice you guys have to offer (like maybe a legitimate online place to look for apartment rentals) and will of course reach out to folks from the school.

I will say, if the boards here are at all representative of the willingness of the residents of the DR to help, then it cant be too bad!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
The "Government Pharmacies" stock some medicines that are very generic(Sometimes)
If you need anything that is over a few hundred pesos for a perscription in a retail pharmacy,you can forget about the government pharmacies.
My mother-in-law spends several thousand pesos a month on her perscriptions,with "Her Money"!
Just as the DR has "Laws",which are not enforced,they have "programs", which are not funded.
Dept.of Education,only got 81% OF THEIR BUDGET FUNDED LAST YEAR.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Experience is that over perscribing is rampant in the DR among private Quacks. Herbal remedies also exist and are cheap for many ailments.
Some ot these doctors have even been trained in the US - global central for over - perscribing - the drug bill for the average US citizen is more than twice that of the European citizen.

Are American doctors over-prescribing medication? - by Dawn Crystal - Helium

Quacks also percribe expensive drugs when a generic is just as effective - and some supply the drug through their own phamacy!

pi2