Mayor Willy's Plans For Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It is absolutely mind boggling to me that the Bar Owners and other businesses on the Beach , all seem totally oblivious to this ..
A number of them have U Tube Channels , with very nice videos about how they BUILT their Business and their Loyal Clientele , and talk about their future plans of like for example bringing in a small Kitchen Area, expanding the Bar .. Installing New Sound sytemss , etc etc .

How in the world do these people not realize that all this Investment can one day in the blink of an Eye , just be bulldozed , because they are essentially SQUATTERS on Private land .. Its one of the mysteries of Sosua Beach I will never quite understand .. were these “ owners/ Investors” LIED to ? , or are they just Daft in the head ? who are they PAYING and what Kind of “ Lease” do they have .

Are they satisfied jut Gambling that they will recoup their investment before the bulldozing starts ? . I just cant understand it at all .
I've always gotten the impression they are subleasing from someone else who is also subleasing from yet another who may or may not actually paying rent to an owner.
The actual owner has handed it over to the state as Cavok posted.
It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The article appears to say that "part" of the land was donated. Which is something that has always been in the plans, to give up a portion of the private property to build new vendor plazas on each end of the beach. I would be really surprised if they donated the whole thing.

In doing so, they appease the vendors slightly, improve the appearances, and hopefully avoid gunfire when the digging starts.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
When they 'revamped' Playa Grande.... the vendors' lives improved dramatically !

I doubted it - but it did
They thinned the group and relocated them
I agree after seeing what they did at PG, the same needs to be done for Sosua Beach. Its the 80 / 20 rule, 20% of the bar owners which includes the same for the tourist related shops along the eastern entry road are doing 80% of the sales

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
It is absolutely mind boggling to me that the Bar Owners and other businesses on the Beach , all seem totally oblivious to this ..
A number of them have U Tube Channels , with very nice videos about how they BUILT their Business and their Loyal Clientele , and talk about their future plans of like for example bringing in a small Kitchen Area, expanding the Bar .. Installing New Sound sytemss , etc etc .

How in the world do these people not realize that all this Investment can one day in the blink of an Eye , just be bulldozed , because they are essentially SQUATTERS on Private land .. Its one of the mysteries of Sosua Beach I will never quite understand .. were these “ owners/ Investors” LIED to ? , or are they just Daft in the head ? who are they PAYING and what Kind of “ Lease” do they have .

Are they satisfied jut Gambling that they will recoup their investment before the bulldozing starts ? . I just cant understand it at all .
I will clear this up for you. The Dominican owners will swear up and down that they legally own the building and the land underneath of it. A little bit of research and even a slightly intelligent attorney will normally expose this myth. Most of the foreigners ”investing“ in bars do so with the understanding that they are working within a limited time frame. Almost all are operating on low rent leases and have constructed thier bars in a manner that everything can be removed within 24 hours. But do you really think the government is organized enough to roll down the beach, crush all of the buildings and do so without a bulldozer driver being lynched? Do you think they have the resources to properly plan and execute a full on demolition of over 100 Dominican businesses? My guess is that this will be a ten year project that never gets finished.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I will clear this up for you. The Dominican owners will swear up and down that they legally own the building and the land underneath of it. A little bit of research and even a slightly intelligent attorney will normally expose this myth. Most of the foreigners ”investing“ in bars do so with the understanding that they are working within a limited time frame. Almost all are operating on low rent leases and have constructed thier bars in a manner that everything can be removed within 24 hours. But do you really think the government is organized enough to roll down the beach, crush all of the buildings and do so without a bulldozer driver being lynched? Do you think they have the resources to properly plan and execute a full on demolition of over 100 Dominican businesses? My guess is that this will be a ten year project that never gets finished.
We have seen, many times over the years, that the government is capable of getting a small project like this done. It would take about 10 days to clear the beach of casetas. After 3 days notice, at 5 am troops roll in. By 6 am the equipment is unloaded and starting to work. What will happen this time depends on what the government finally decides to do. Many of the casetas are within the 60 meter protected area, the rest are on private property.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Many of the casetas are within the 60 meter protected area, the rest are on private property.
An interesting point that many of the casetas are within the 60 metre protected area. That must apply to almost all beach bars and businesses all over the country, including nearby Cabarete.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have a question about the 60 meter rule. Is it from the waters edge? A few years ago a storm extended the beach and put the waters edge quite a few more meters away from where it was. Are the casetas now on protected land or did the private land owners suddenly get a gift form mother nature?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have a question about the 60 meter rule. Is it from the waters edge? A few years ago a storm extended the beach and put the waters edge quite a few more meters away from where it was. Are the casetas now on protected land or did the private land owners suddenly get a gift form mother nature?
It's measured from the mean high tide.

Reactions: ctrob and windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The squatters on Sosua beach are well aware there have been plans for years to remove them. The squatter/vendors just didn't care because it never happened.
As we know, some say nothing ever changes in the DR. Until it does.

Will it happen soon? It seems more likely now than ever with the family donating land and $350 Million DR being approved for the project. How soon will this get interesting with much screaming and gnashing of teeth?

Reactions: Billp16 and jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The article appears to say that "part" of the land was donated. Which is something that has always been in the plans, to give up a portion of the private property to build new vendor plazas on each end of the beach. I would be really surprised if they donated the whole thing.

In doing so, they appease the vendors slightly, improve the appearances, and hopefully avoid gunfire when the digging starts.
^^^
All the above, same story that I have been following for years now.

Reactions: ctrob

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
An interesting point that many of the casetas are within the 60 metre protected area. That must apply to almost all beach bars and businesses all over the country, including nearby Cabarete.
It does apply "universally" with regards to the 60 meter public land law, but the government can legally grant permission and exceptions. Similar to how a company stole those rights at Encuentro recently by the government being paid off. But at La Boca, they refused to allow the building of a very high end resort in Cabarete by Marriott.

I suspect those casitas on Sosua beach may finally be on the way out.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
It does apply "universally" with regards to the 60 meter public land law, but the government can legally grant permission and exceptions. Similar to how a company stole those rights at Encuentro recently by the government being paid off. But at La Boca, they refused to allow the building of a very high end resort in Cabarete by Marriott.

I suspect those casitas on Sosua beach may finally be on the way out.
When this is all done you can be sure...that the government will be in on a land grab, as members of this goverment will have pieces of Sosua beach front..........

Reactions: Rattus_Rattus

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The transfer of land to the government is official. The deeds were signed on Sunday

Reactions: cavok and windeguy

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
got to make room for all the high end tourists and their families that are flocking to Sosua in droves

Nope, North American middle class.

What's left of Baby Boomer wealth and the up and coming Gen Xers. That's a ton of expendable cash.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I know people are always resistant to change, and I try not to be, but I actually like Sosua beach the way it is. I do hope these changes will be a real improvement but I have my doubts.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It actually answers a LOT .. thank you..
I also get the impression that a lot of these " bar owner" " Sosua Business" types are not really investors per se , but are mainly their Own Best ( Bar) Customers , if you know what I mean .
So its more of a HANGOUT Spot , than an " Investment" for their Children , or their wives who will perhaps outlive them ...
so yeagh, I think I get it now , thanks

Reactions: Big
Status
Not open for further replies.