More cholera in the DR

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
"Lisa",having been responsible for very large,hospital/industrial water systems,both here,and in the USA,I say,"Don't Bother".
The filters WILL become sources of contamination.In the hospitals,we had the means to do nearly immediate checking of the water's bacteria counts,metals,"other".In a home setting you don't.As has been said,even the bottled water is suspect."Home filters" don't hurt anything,as long as they are VERY well maintained/filters changed very often.They can remove some sedament,thatsgood.
"Home Systems","To much "Squeeze",for not enough "JUICE"!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Thanks, CC. So basically the best way to protect the family is bottled water, boiled and filtered using brita? What about bathing and brushing teeth? What if your kids swallow the water by mistake?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: I live in Santiago. Santiago has excellent water. I drink, bathe, brush teeth, and cook with water from the faucet. I would suppose I am "cured" of the normal bugs.

I also wash my hands a lot as a basic preventive step...just regular soap, nothing special. I also wash the dishes in regular water with lots of soap...I do spend money on soap..

HB

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
FYI: I live in Santiago. Santiago has excellent water. I drink, bathe, brush teeth, and cook with water from the faucet. I would suppose I am "cured" of the normal bugs.

I also wash my hands a lot as a basic preventive step...just regular soap, nothing special. I also wash the dishes in regular water with lots of soap...I do spend money on soap..

HB

Wow HB, your very brave, lol.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have you ever seen "HB"???????????????????
Bacteria are afraid of HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"HB" don't get a big head over those two "LIKES",chip never read a post of your's he didn't "LIKE"!!!
He needs to wipe his "Nose" now,Not his A$$!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Have you ever seen "HB"???????????????????
Bacteria are afraid of HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"HB" don't get a big head over those two "LIKES",chip never read a post of your's he didn't "LIKE"!!!
He needs to wipe his "Nose" now,Not his A$$!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

At first your posts used to annoy the $hit out of me........

Now I find them most entertaining.......
On with the show........and it's for free.........

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm like HB: tap water for everything except tea/coffee. all cooking, washing, teeth brushing, vegetable cleaning. we have our own cisterna and we drop a tablet of chloro inside about once a month.
drinking water comes from the bottle connected to the fridge which has own filter and dispenser.
i have manitas limias always with me and we keep them in our cars too so we can always clean our hands before and after eating or using bathroom (if out).
i just cannot do with all this fuss about making life in DR more difficult and complicated than it already is. i am totally done with "i cannot live without this and that" policy.

as for cholera... i have no doubts it thrives in DR and will do so for years to come. the government will always censor any information about outbreaks and the number of affected, that's what governments do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am careful in my own way. But until you are really really thirsty you do not know what you will drink....of course with cocos around there is safe water most all the time...

I used to eat "Yun Yun" until I thought about it a bit. No more...and there is nothing better out in the campo, at a baseball game, than a really good yun-yun (sno-cone for those who are language challenged) with tamarind juice!

Or in on a farm when they bring out platanos and eggs boiled in canal water with some avocados with rock salt...hehe...and maybe a can of pica pica.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
HB, i always wanted to eat yun-yun but was too scared to buy it :) i think i did not reach the sufficient level of immunity agains dominican bugs. but soon. soon...
donP, if the salud publica says six then it must be sixty...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am careful in my own way. But until you are really really thirsty you do not know what you will drink....of course with cocos around there is safe water most all the time...

I used to eat "Yun Yun" until I thought about it a bit. No more...and there is nothing better out in the campo, at a baseball game, than a really good yun-yun (sno-cone for those who are language challenged) with tamarind juice!

Or in on a farm when they bring out platanos and eggs boiled in canal water with some avocados with rock salt...hehe...and maybe a can of pica pica.

HB

Like you, I try to be careful. It's been awhile since I bought a yun-yun/frio-frio, but on a hot day I think I'd probably cave and enjoy one. I think not only about the ice, but also how the syrup was made.....

I had to ask my husband what pica pica was though :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I never worried much about "contaminated water",as I went right to the "source" of the contamination!
:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::p:p
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
More fun than just drinking the water!
Can you spell,"Paranoia"??????????????????????????
"THEY",really ARE "Out-To-Get-You"!
Must be "The Anti-christ"???????????

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Water is contaminated with cholera bacterias.

And no, you can not get vaccinated against it.

Jesus, what a truly 3rd world sh1thole. And to think i was seriously thinking of relocating to DR.

Bob Saunders........you are absolutely right, there is a vaccine, also approved in Canada

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
CDN is saying there are 14 confirmed cases in Centro Cibao and some un-numbered cases in JMC but not near 200.

Also, the two people who died recently was a women who had kidney problems in her 60's and a 70 year old man who had diarrhea for 4 days and no one took him to the doctor.

They are now saying a sewer line broke in the San Victor/Tamboril area and CORASAAN is doing bacteriological tests every 48 hours of the contaminated stream(I believe).