More cholera in the DR

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Ok so there is Cholera in the DR.
We all knew that since about 2 years.

Always take preventive measures as described be HB.
There's no need for panic!
Know the drill, and when you have diarrhea (sh...ty word that I can't spell properly) for the first time, buy a bottle of coke first and drink it.
But not too cold a wait for the next day.
I bet most of your troubles will be gone.

If not go see a medico.

Just eat and drink whatever your body can handle, and sometimes you'll be surprised, either because nothing happens, or the sh...t hits the fan.

That way something happens sometimes, and it beats being bored all day.:cool:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Ok so there is Cholera in the DR.
We all knew that since about 2 years.

Always take preventive measures as described be HB.
There's no need for panic!
Know the drill, and when you have diarrhea (sh...ty word that I can't spell properly) for the first time, buy a bottle of coke first and drink it.
But not too cold a wait for the next day.
I bet most of your troubles will be gone.

If not go see a medico.

Just eat and drink whatever your body can handle, and sometimes you'll be surprised, either because nothing happens, or the sh...t hits the fan.

That way something happens sometimes, and it beats being bored all day.:cool:

I heard this too, but it has to be stale, or free of carbonation for it to help the stomach.....and not very cold either

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
I heard this too, but it has to be stale, or free of carbonation for it to help the stomach.....and not very cold either

When I'm here, I spend a lot of time in the barrios with my esposa, and all the kids in the neighbourhood keep toughing me with their hands. Nothing to do about it, but drink one coke a day, and really it keeps the doctor away!

Those kids aren't used to toilet paper or washing their hands.

BUT do understand that a bottle of coke isn't anti cholera vaccin. It just might in many cases keep you from stomach trouble.

So if you think you're eating something bad but it tastes right, drink a coke with it, like you would do without thinking in the US.:cool:

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I am careful in my own way. But until you are really really thirsty you do not know what you will drink....of course with cocos around there is safe water most all the time...

I used to eat "Yun Yun" until I thought about it a bit. No more...and there is nothing better out in the campo, at a baseball game, than a really good yun-yun (sno-cone for those who are language challenged) with tamarind juice!

Or in on a farm when they bring out platanos and eggs boiled in canal water with some avocados with rock salt...hehe...and maybe a can of pica pica.

HB

I ate too much "tripita" in the campo once when I was a child. I learned my lesson, I spent a few days on the toilet. lol

I use to drink water that came straight from the river... Now I only drink bottled water.

For those city people, tripita looks like an onion ring but its not made from onions

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No more cholera

So far no more reporting on cholera.*
Why?
Well, just look at the picture at:
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/op...ef-says-seweage-tainted-water-brought-cholera

"Task force volunteers" have everything under control.
Obviously the leaks (there must be two, one in the sewage line, the other in the water pipe) have been found and repaired.
All is good.

donP

*)
BTW, did you know that loyal journalists get a state pension when they retire?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Parable of the Dominican Father,and the "GRINGO SPIN DOCTOR!!!"

"Once Upon A Time",good start right???
In a land far far away,"Santiago".
There lived a "Gringo Spin Doctor",who left his birthland,couldn't hack it ???, for Santiago,where he loved absolutely EVERYTHING,not like where he came from!
He could find a reason why all the "Bad Things" in Santiago,were much better than the "Bad Things" where he came from,MUCH BETTER!
One day he walked out in the street and saw a man crying."Why are you crying?" he asked.The man said that his daughter was dead!
The "Doctor",asked him "How?"
The distraught father told him,that a black Ford Explore had driven by,and the woman driver stuck a 38caliber revolver out the window,and shot his daughter dead!
"Wow!" said the doctor,who decided to investigate the incident himself.
The next day he saw the father,still crying,in front of his house.
He went out,patted the father on his back and informed him that,"It's not what you told me yesterday!!!"
First of all,it was a "Chevy Blazer",and NOT a Ford Explorer,like YOU said!
Second,the "Policia National" found that the driver,was a man,NOT a woman,like YOU said!
Third,the gun,was a 9milimeter semi-auto,NOT a 38 revolver,like YOU said!"
The "Gringo" also told the father that, ""Kids get killed in other countries everyday,NOT just here!
So stop making a big deal over this!
"You were wrong about EVERYTHING you told me!" said the "SpinDoctor"
"All except for ONE!",said the father,"My daughter is STILL DEAD!"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a couple of months ago a friend visited me. she was very worried about infectious diseases in DR so she kept bacterias at bay with large amounts of ron, vodka and whiskey. before every meal. and after. and at meal times, just to make sure :)
something that will surely appeal to many dr1ers here ;)

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I say instead of turning this thread into a he said, she said, lets document some tips to help people stay clear of this malice. I like to have a bottle of liquid hand cleaner with me all the time. Also, if I see a friend my age, I give him a 'pound' (fist closed) rather than a hand shake. For older people I go for the full hand shake, then remember to wash my hands with the liquid soap.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just to keep you up-t0-date!
Today's tally,for last week.
4 more dead,300 admitted to hospitals in Santiago and Tamboril.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Better go to a "Mall" and relax!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Doctors say that it wasn't colera,but just "Old Age" that killed her!!!
"Oh!",the DR1 "Spin Doctors" that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

It's not hard to believe at all, maybe I dare say the actual % must be rather higher, since that 20% is pretty much the lot of Haitians in the poorest of our economy strata...

Cholera will remain in the DR for as long as it continues to propagate in Haiti for years on end...

Same for dengue, polio, etc...

Haiti is a festering wound that nobody has cared to mend so far...

A failed state with no way out...

Cholera... Now endemic to Hispaniola...