Moscow tribute to Dominican independence day

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I've been to Moscow, have a few Russian friends and I've never met a Russian I didn't like. No need to bash them. Politics is an ugly sport in any arena.

The fact they are still willing to show solidarity with the Dominican Republic even after the US government forced them to stop allowing direct flights tells me two things. Not only do they understand how America bullies smaller countries into submission, they also value their relationship with the Dominican people.
tell that to the Ukrainian people that have lost everything let me know how that's works out for you

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And you know that as a fact, how?
"The Mayor of Moscow is the city’s highest-ranking official, who heads the supreme executive body of the Moscow city government, elected for five years by Russian citizens who permanently reside in Moscow. The current Mayor’s term of office expires in September 2023."

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
"The Mayor of Moscow is the city’s highest-ranking official, who heads the supreme executive body of the Moscow city government, elected for five years by Russian citizens who permanently reside in Moscow. The current Mayor’s term of office expires in September 2023."

Oh, sure. The mayor of Moscow was sitting around last week thinking, what can I do to liven things up a bit? I know, let's celebrate Dominican Independence Day!!!

The fact of the matter is, Russia is trying to garner favor and maintain support with a lot of countries like the DR during this war with Ukraine. Mexico, Central and all of South America including Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia, and many southeast Asian countries will not provide military aid and support to Ukraine. They want a negotiated end to the war and couldn't care less if Ukraine was ever part of NATO. Russia wants to maintain that support.

This plan probably came from the minister of propaganda in Russia, if not from Putin himself.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Russia has been behind some targeted assassinations worldwide - but I don't trust them less than the US in that regards.
But their tactics of purposely targeting civilians and sending their own men to fight in a war without modern equipment shows the callousness of their command.
Unlike the Americans, the Russians only target their own.

Reactions: cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Has anyone not noticed that this wasn't done by the Russian government and much less Putin? He may be Russia's president, but Russians are a lot more thsn one man.

In New Orleans there was a building light up in Dominican flag colors for Dominican independence day. Biden did that? Yeah, right.
The Big Guy couldn't point out New Orleans on a map. That I'd put money on.

The building you are talking about is (I haven't seen the picture so I'm assuming) the Dominican Consulate Office @ Poydras Tower.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
tell that to the Ukrainian people that have lost everything let me know how that's works out for you
Well if we want roll up the sleeves and start throwing mud...
it pales when compared to what the Ukrainians did to the Polish/Russian Jewish community during the later years of WW2. I'm from the dirty side of the south. We believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
Karma's a bad bad b*tch.

Personally I've no sympathy for them at all. Their country is many things to many people but a Democracy it is not. Up until this war started they were ranked worse than the DR in Transparency International's corruption index and now their somehow entitled to hundreds of BILLIONS of American taxpayer dollars while at the same time the rest of the world is flooding across the wide open border to the south?

I hope Russia wins and annihilates their army. You'd better smarten up and hope they do too before the Chinese, who've recently thrown their support behind Russia, start getting involved with this confict too. America's woke depleted military ain't what it used to be and heaven forbid they ever called a draft, today's coddled generation would soil their pantiess in a heart beat.

Reactions: jd426 and cavok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Big Guy couldn't point out New Orleans on a map. That I'd put money on.

The building you are talking about is (I haven't seen the picture so I'm assuming) the Dominican Consulate Office @ Poydras Tower.
It was taken on a cellphone.

C484B1BD-7DB1-4852-9B49-A6AF2CA53A04.jpeg

That doesn't look like the building where is located the Dominican Consulate in New Orleans, going by Google Earth.

A969C59E-4C44-4134-8C84-49A44FA9220E.jpeg

Btw, if we go by the train of thought of some here, Biden did that in response to the Moscow light up. lol

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh, sure. The mayor of Moscow was sitting around last week thinking, what can I do to liven things up a bit? I know, let's celebrate Dominican Independence Day!!!

The fact of the matter is, Russia is trying to garner favor and maintain support with a lot of countries like the DR during this war with Ukraine. Mexico, Central and all of South America including Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia, and many southeast Asian countries will not provide military aid and support to Ukraine. They want a negotiated end to the war and couldn't care less if Ukraine was ever part of NATO. Russia wants to maintain that support.

This plan probably came from the minister of propaganda in Russia, if not from Putin himself.
Are you saying the flags of every country is light up on the facades of many buildings in Moscow on their independence day?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It was taken on a cellphone.

View attachment 7218

That doesn't look like the building where is located the Dominican Consulate in New Orleans, going by Google Earth.
That photo was taken from the CBD looking back toward the Warehouse District where most of the buildings are well over 150 years old. I'm not aware of any structure of that shape or size towering over that area which is very upscale nor do I think the residents would allow it. I also tried finding information about it on their local news sites but came up empty.
My conclusion?
Could be a cropped/ doctored photograph. I haven't been there since I left back in 2006 so I'm really not sure what to make of it. Looks nice though.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Are you saying the flags of every country is light up on the facades of many buildings in Moscow on their independence day?
No, but it might become a trend! Also, a lot of very wealthy Russians own some very expensive properties here and this could also be an attempt to garner favor with the DR government so that those properties won't be confiscated.

Reactions: CristoRey