Motorcycle dealership ????

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No, its moto-hell with motos being involved in the majority of accidents and deaths in the DR. In four yearsI I was in three moto related accidents in my truck. One was my fault as I opened my drivers door and a passing moto hit it. Luckily no serious injury and I paid a few pesos and got away as quick as possible. Oh, one more. I was rear ended in PP. I did not get out of the truck to even look and drove off with moto driver picking himself up off the road. Total of four wrecks. Dominicans need motos for cheap transportation but they are a big problem and there does not seem to be any solution. Perhaps if the bikes were bigger and more expensive!!! Fatter would be good as it would be harder for them to squeeze between cars on the hiway

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Fatter would be good as it would be harder for them to squeeze between cars on the hiway
This is why the mirriors are taken off...to make the lateral profile skinnier for lane splitting.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Without doubt, visit Magna Motors in Santo Domingo for the Bajaj Platina 150cc 4 stroke, with the patented DTSI engine and exhaustec.
The bikes is the world bike 2011, excellent quality with good parts availability.. super cost efficient due to the DTSI (double twin spark iginition) technology which is patented by Bajaj only. Bajaj is the third largest two wheel manufacturer in the world- Indian. They are partners in technology with Kawasaki Motors Corp, and have also partnered with KTM on the cross bikes. Bajaj has the legendary Cheetak scooter with the rear spare tire.
Don't think about another one.. this is a true winner in quality, price and efficiency. You might also want to look at the PULSAR 180 and 220- both top of the line excellent motorcycles for the Dominican market.
I know these bikes- know the market. Built and ran it for 12 years... good luck.
Thank you my friend, I will follow up on your advise

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Picardo

Reading up one of Robert's threads (Cobraboy) I came across a nice picture of some full size bikes (scooters are shipped in cardboard crates in several parts) still in their crates and as they're formally shipped as far as I can recall:
Look behind the guy seating on the police bike to see the crates and bikes still wrapped~!
IMG_1897.sized.jpg

And one more thing!

The reason for why even after Haina and Puerto Plata ports got upgraded ships still made stops in some other ports and mostly transferred cargo headed for the DR in Panama and other spots, was because the loads in the vessels were not large enough to warrant the shipping charges of the whole boat to make a trip from Japan to DR alone.

The same happened with cars from Germany and places like Italy. Now things are rather the other way as DR ports get cargo to transfer to other ports not able to host post Panamax ships to berth.
What kind of bike is the police bike in the photo, looks good, how many cc and are they available to the public without the police paint job ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What kind of bike is the police bike in the photo, looks good, how many cc and are they available to the public without the police paint job ?
150cc. It just ~looks~ like a real cruiser...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, I can live with that, how much for one? I'm all about show you know. lol
Seriously, is that particular model available to the public and are they dependable ?
Couldn't tell you how much.

Are they dependable? They are Chinese. Hard to tell. BUT things like the chrome and fittings are seriously cheesy.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It is almost as if they are selling pre-rusted metal with a gloss coat of chrome.
:cheeky: True!

Although the Honda and Yamahammer I mentioned are top quality units.

There are some higher displacement bikes comong in recently that have little chrome. However, the parts are painted and will rust in a heartbeat with the first scratch.

More than anywhere, here you get what you pay for.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
so much for the police bike thing ! ;lp;l
Chuck, a respected cousin is in the moto and auto business here in Jarabacoa. When you come to town I'll take you over for a personal introduction. They sell bikes up to 180cc, and occasionally have used 200-600cc bikes for sale.

They also do financing if needed.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Interestingly enough, there have been various 650 V-stroms on exhibition in Blue Mall the last couple of weeks. I never realized how big those puppies are until I sat on one.
That is a common reaction. Folks think "650" and think "small." They sit on a V-Strom and think "horse."

Interesting story: Bonanza didn't want to take our order and 50% deposit at first. They were afraid we'd not do the deal and they'd be stuck with bikes that had no market, and they didn't think they could sell. We bought 12, and Suzuki said if they ordered 14, they add some spare parts in the package. So they ordered 14.

Bikes arrive and we get a call. We ask they wait a couple of days so we could watch them being assembled. In the meantime, they aqssembled one for their showroom. While they wheeled their first one onto their Kennedy showroom, a guy bought it on the spot. The next day they took their last on to the showroom, and a guy bought it the first day although they didn't want to sell it, they wanted to use it to take orders. But the guy insisted and took it away.

Last year in SDQ, I saw two white police V-Stroms. Kinda surprising, actually. So I'm not at all surprised some V-Stroms are being shown at bike shows down here.

And once again I'll say: the V-Strom DL650 is about the most perfect large bike for ALL the conditions we encounter riding the DR roads, both paved and dirt. Of course opinions and preference vary. But from a objective "right tool for the job" perspective, few bikes can match their quality, toughness and utility, and none at the price.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I have the Yamaha 125 cc YBR and its a good bike. I bought it because its what everyone here has and therefore parts are easy and so are repairs. I am new to bikes and finding Neutral seems a bit too hard with this bike, but the overall ride is good and the gas mileage is amazing... All that being said, I am looking for a large scooter with 200 cc's or better but have not found anything. I am looking for a Japanese brand. Everyone I know that has a Chinese bike has quality/repair issues that makes them regret buying the bike and looking for a new one...

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
That is a common reaction. Folks think "650" and think "small." They sit on a V-Strom and think "horse."

Interesting story: Bonanza didn't want to take our order and 50% deposit at first. They were afraid we'd not do the deal and they'd be stuck with bikes that had no market, and they didn't think they could sell. We bought 12, and Suzuki said if they ordered 14, they add some spare parts in the package. So they ordered 14.

Bikes arrive and we get a call. We ask they wait a couple of days so we could watch them being assembled. In the meantime, they aqssembled one for their showroom. While they wheeled their first one onto their Kennedy showroom, a guy bought it on the spot. The next day they took their last on to the showroom, and a guy bought it the first day although they didn't want to sell it, they wanted to use it to take orders. But the guy insisted and took it away.

Last year in SDQ, I saw two white police V-Stroms. Kinda surprising, actually. So I'm not at all surprised some V-Stroms are being shown at bike shows down here.

And once again I'll say: the V-Strom DL650 is about the most perfect large bike for ALL the conditions we encounter riding the DR roads, both paved and dirt. Of course opinions and preference vary. But from a objective "right tool for the job" perspective, few bikes can match their quality, toughness and utility, and none at the price.
CB, you got a good picture of this revered V-strom 650 ? sounds like a nice ride.
Chuck

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, you got a good picture of this revered V-strom 650 ? sounds like a nice ride.
Chuck
Sure. Here is one, not mine:
Suzuki-DL650-V-Strom.jpg

It's a "dual sport" bike, 80% sport bike, 20% dirt bike, 430lbs. wet. Very long and tall, not for really short people. The suspension is highly compliant and sucks up bad pavement and potholes with a very long rebound. The engine is from an SV650, recammed for more low-end torque and bulletproof. 62hp. Riding position is upright so it's extremely comfortable for long days in the saddle. The tires are for both dirt and tarmac. You can ride in dirt like a DT and carve twisties like a GXR. They are the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles, the classic example of function over form.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Chuck, a respected cousin is in the moto and auto business here in Jarabacoa. When you come to town I'll take you over for a personal introduction. They sell bikes up to 180cc, and occasionally have used 200-600cc bikes for sale.

They also do financing if needed.
CB , does your RESPECTED COUSIN have any bridges or waterfalls for sale ? lol I'm new but not brand new CB

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Read Pichardo's cut and paste about daddy's business.
There are so many flaws, it best to let him vent alone.