Motorcycle dealership ????

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
2010 Kawasaki Versys v BMW F650GS v Suzuki V-Strom

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cy16XkzFXdY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cy16XkzFXdY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Pichardo posted this clip which is an interesting 3 way test.

The clip favors Kawasaki Versys for the reasons we posted. I would think that since Magna now represents 4 national distributions on bikes- Harley Davidson and the Kawasaki/Bajaj/Jincheng brands I sold them, the can take a haircut on the Versys to bring in volumes. The are selling more bikes today with a great parts department and service center. I still think the Versys is a good competitor and worth the investment with a peppier engine and great suspension.
Seems the clip reflects the same.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
PICHARDO, if you're thinking of getting into motorcycles, first thing to do is take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course course. They are offered in Orlando by several groups. If you have a certificate from the MSF, you will not have to take a DMV test to get your DL endorsement.

Secondly the kind of riding you might be doing may mean a dual-sport bike is NOT the right tool for the job. Unless you intend to get off pavement, there are better options. Additionally, "getting off the pavement" is entirely different in FL than it is in the DD or, say, TN or OR. The DR, TN and OR (for examples) has hard-packed dirt roads. Florida has fine sand when you get off the pavement, and the tires that work on pavement will NOT work on sand. In fact, they would be epic fail: fall down go boom. The kind of tires that work on sand do NOT work well on pavement.

Chances are there would be much better options in FL than a dual sport machine if you just want to cruise around. Heck, even a big Burgman or Silver Wing might be the ticket (both GREAT, non-traditional machines.)

So, in summary:
  1. Take an MSF course and buy the best gear you can (full-face or flip-up helmet, armored jacket and pants, boots and gloves at a minimum)
  2. Really think about what kind of riding you will do. This is very important. First and foremost, do NOT consider a bike for ANY factor other that it's intended use: a 'Busa sucks for Dairy Queen runs, a heavy cruiser sucks in the twisties, a dirt bike sucks two-up. Forget looks and image. Function should drive form in the selection process. there is a reason why many riders, me included, had different bikes in the garage.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The clip favors Kawasaki Versys for the reasons we posted. I would think that since Magna now represents 4 national distributions on bikes- Harley Davidson and the Kawasaki/Bajaj/Jincheng brands I sold them, the can take a haircut on the Versys to bring in volumes. The are selling more bikes today with a great parts department and service center. I still think the Versys is a good competitor and worth the investment with a peppier engine and great suspension.
Seems the clip reflects the same.
Opinions vary. You can find clips that say the BMW is superior or the V-Strom is superior. It depends on the task at hand and how the rider intends to use the bike. The best way to judge a bike is to consider which is the best tool for the worse conditions, because that is where a rider will get into trouble.

That clip does NOT take into account:
  • Mechanical reliability (V-strom engine comes from the SV650, one of the epic v-twin engines of all time)
  • Ease of maintenance
  • Long time ergonomics (V-Strom wheelbase is a full 5" longer, MUCH more comfortable for long rides and two-up)
  • Off road capabilities (the Versys has a 17" front wheel, the V-Strom a 19"; nuff said)
  • Availablity of aftermarket farkles
The Versys is more a street bike with a shorter wheelbase, smaller front wheel, stiff suspension and engine that makes peak torque at higher RPms, then drops off @ 7000. The V-Strom is more of a dual purpose bike, both as a cruiser and off road with larger front wheel and wheelbase, and has a longer, flatter torque curve right to redline, and can easily accomodate two riders for extended periods.

They have different missions. IMO, the correct bike to compare a Versys to is not the V-Strom. It's the Suzuki Bandit. The primary aspect that makes a Versys a "dual sport" is the ground clearance. Other than that it's a street standard like the Bandit or Ducati Monster.

But here is a fact of life: the bike doesn't matter. The skill of a rider does. A great rider on a cheap Chinese bike can outperform a noob on a Hyabusa.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
PICHARDO, if you're thinking of getting into motorcycles, first thing to do is take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course course. They are offered in Orlando by several groups. If you have a certificate from the MSF, you will not have to take a DMV test to get your DL endorsement.

Secondly the kind of riding you might be doing may mean a dual-sport bike is NOT the right tool for the job. Unless you intend to get off pavement, there are better options. Additionally, "getting off the pavement" is entirely different in FL than it is in the DD or, say, TN or OR. The DR, TN and OR (for examples) has hard-packed dirt roads. Florida has fine sand when you get off the pavement, and the tires that work on pavement will NOT work on sand. In fact, they would be epic fail: fall down go boom. The kind of tires that work on sand do NOT work well on pavement.

Chances are there would be much better options in FL than a dual sport machine if you just want to cruise around. Heck, even a big Burgman or Silver Wing might be the ticket (both GREAT, non-traditional machines.)

So, in summary:
  1. Take an MSF course and buy the best gear you can (full-face or flip-up helmet, armored jacket and pants, boots and gloves at a minimum)
  2. Really think about what kind of riding you will do. This is very important. First and foremost, do NOT consider a bike for ANY factor other that it's intended use: a 'Busa sucks for Dairy Queen runs, a heavy cruiser sucks in the twisties, a dirt bike sucks two-up. Forget looks and image. Function should drive form in the selection process. there is a reason why many riders, me included, had different bikes in the garage.

I'll take you up on that tour offer when I hit the DR for good and 45lbs thinner! LOL!!!

I'm eyeing a HD Fat Boy Lo for kicks for the DR, but will be also buying a few more like the one you have (V-Stroms) and a lighter one, but no dirt bikes for me! I know I'm not a kid anymore! Bones would break for sure if I tried that!

I went to the local HD shop here in Orlando, ended up buying a pair of boots for a test ride of the Fat Boy Lo I liked. After I took the test ride on the Lo it felt somehow weird to ride the regular Fat Boys on the lot!
I bought these boots at their shop, but found better deals online and ordered another four of different styles but HD's. I got them for the Fat Boy only, since I know the boots I really like and that feel even better than these, for the type or bikes I'm planning for the DR (V-Strom being a top contender on the list).

l.jpg

l.jpg

I'm now a bit worried since all my shoes are 4W (EEEE) and somehow they seem to dance a bit more than usual around my feet! I went down some good pounds, should I hold the boot/shoes buying in 4W until I get down to the weigh I'm aiming for??? Anybody had this happened?

By all means list here the best of the best in gear one can muster from sellers! Like what brands you would recommend from personal experience in the real world!

Just so you know I validate the V-Stroms a lot due to the quality they have shown in your words and the DR's not so lenient environment. Somebody can try a bike they own on a daily basis, but that's one out of one. You on the other hand can validate much more just by sheer numbers in action, and equal road treatment in all levels.

This is what I'm budgeting for:

A HD Fat Boy Lo.

A V-Strom (or like).

A Lighter bike(maybe V-strom too?).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'll take you up on that tour offer when I hit the DR for good and 45lbs thinner! LOL!!!

I'm eyeing a HD Fat Boy Lo for kicks for the DR, but will be also buying a few more like the one you have (V-Stroms) and a lighter one, but no dirt bikes for me! I know I'm not a kid anymore! Bones would break for sure if I tried that!

I went to the local HD shop here in Orlando, ended up buying a pair of boots for a test ride of the Fat Boy Lo I liked. After I took the test ride on the Lo it felt somehow weird to ride the regular Fat Boys on the lot!
I bought these boots at their shop, but found better deals online and ordered another four of different styles but HD's. I got them for the Fat Boy only, since I know the boots I really like and that feel even better than these, for the type or bikes I'm planning for the DR (V-Strom being a top contender on the list).

l.jpg

l.jpg

I'm now a bit worried since all my shoes are 4W (EEEE) and somehow they seem to dance a bit more than usual around my feet! I went down some good pounds, should I hold the boot/shoes buying in 4W until I get down to the weigh I'm aiming for??? Anybody had this happened?

By all means list here the best of the best in gear one can muster from sellers! Like what brands you would recommend from personal experience in the real world!

Just so you know I validate the V-Stroms a lot due to the quality they have shown in your words and the DR's not so lenient environment. Somebody can try a bike they own on a daily basis, but that's one out of one. You on the other hand can validate much more just by sheer numbers in action, and equal road treatment in all levels.

This is what I'm budgeting for:

A HD Fat Boy Lo.

A V-Strom (or like).

A Lighter bike(maybe V-strom too?).
I'm happy to hear you take your riding gear seriously. There is a misconception even within riders that gear is uncomfortable so many won't wear it and just wear a peanut shell for a helmet.

Also, within the "macho" style-oriented riders gear isn't cool.

I have evolved into an ATGATT guy: All The Gear All The Time. It's become like seat belts in a car: I can't drive in a parking lot without buckling up and if I even sit on a motersickel without gear I feel ~nekkid~. Back in The Day I didn't wear a helmet much, and if I did it was a "novelty" helmet. No jacket, gloves or boots either. I just thank the power that be I rode for 40 years with nothing happening. When I hit a goat two years and took a fall, I was VERY glad I wore gear because it could have been MUCH worse than it was. And now wear even more gear.

Eventually, everybody falls. Get a group of riders around a table and the crash stories come out. The difference is those with gear had little real damage and those that didn't suffered more severe injuries. Don't discount the pain and slow healing of "road rash"; skin doesn't have a chance against pavement or gravel at speed.

Tattoo this on the inside of your eyelids, PICHARDO: Dress for the fall, not for the ride. Thank me later.

There is a wide variety of riding gear out there.One of the best online shops is : www.motorcycle-superstore.com. They have a HUGE selection of gear at good prices.

But what do I wear? Gear is very personal and I value utility over style, but opinions vary. The kind of riding I do now-6-7 hours a day for a week or more-means I need to dress for almost all conditions. So here is MT personal gear from the ground to the head. Of course, opinions vary.

Boots: VERY important as a high % of injuries in crashes are to ankles. I wear boots that are waterproof, have an ankle cup, shin and toe protection built in. They have a slimmer profile than yours for rapid toe shifting (can't do that in clunky boots) and have an extra layer of leather for the toe shifter (left boot always.) They alsy are mid-shin in length. I currently wear Tourmaster Solution 2.0 Road Boots:
h_tmb112_black.jpg

I wear over the calf perspiration-wicking athletic socks with thick footboxes underneath.

Pants are very important. Leather is best but also very hot, I wear mesh pants with armor in the kneew and hips. I've gravitated toward the Joe rocket line for great value/quality ratio. I currently wear Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 pants:
2488_Phoenix_3.0_Pant300.jpg

BUT as I get older I better understand risks. So I don't just wear pants for protection. i also wear this underneath them, Bonn Armor Pants. they have shin, knee, hip and butt armor built in and are all-day comfortable. I know many guys who wear these with a pair of athletic shorts underneath, like me:
images

I wear a Body Armor-style wicking t-shirt. On top of that is one of my favorite pieces of gear, something I HIGHLY recommend, the AXO Air cage, like a super comfortable compression shirt with chest, shoulder, elbow and back armor built in. Note that Bonn Armor also has a armor shirt. I just like the AXO:
images

For a jacket, I also like the Joe Rocket and Fieldsheer lines, but opinions vary. I now wear this, the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0:
2298_Phoenix_5.0_Jacket300.jpg

I wear a stretchy Buff neck scarf for wind and sun protection. I can also pull it over my mouth and nose when it gets dusty:
0454_35.JPG

Gloves are easily overlooked. When you see someone with those fingerless gloves with the knuckles cut out, chuckle inside, he knows not what he's doing. Hands and fingers are VERY vulnerable. I currently wear Tourmaster Gel Cruiser 2 glove, mesh with gel palms and reinforced leather knuckles:
h_gc2g_black.jpg

Helmets. THE most important gear. Defimitely wear a full-face helmet as almost 40% of head impacts are around the face and jaw,not the noggin. A shell or 3/4 just doesn't offer the protection a full face does. Again there are many, many manufacturers and each has a loyal following. I currently wear a Scorpion EXO-900. It's a solid flip-face helmet with integrated internal "flip down" sun shades. I LOVE this helmet!
images

Nope, the Harley crowd won't think I'm cool, and I'm A-OK with that. I'm a "function over form" guy. I wear gear for protection, NOT to be in the cool crowd.

And speaking of Harley, might I suggest you take a peek at the V-Rod. I'm not at all a Harley guy, but the V-Rod is the best motorcycle they make even if the hardcore everything-Harley crowd pretty much rejects it. For a Harley, it's not a Harley:cheeky::
images

Bottom line: I don't want to crash...they are NOT fun...but I am dressed properly for the occasion if it comes up. And MOST of the MotoCaribe guests are dressed very similarly. Everybody wears gear.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CobraBoy speaks the truth about his gear !!!....I've seen him in full uniform.

He looks like something out of a video game..... you could bounce him all over the screen and he'd still be smiling.:classic:

Surprisingly, he has very good range of motion too..... looks like no..... but yes, really flexible stuff.

SuperMan the SafetyMan....:rambo:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I'm happy to hear you take your riding gear seriously. There is a misconception even within riders that gear is uncomfortable so many won't wear it and just wear a peanut shell for a helmet.

Also, within the "macho" style-oriented riders gear isn't cool.

I have evolved into an ATGATT guy: All The Gear All The Time. It's become like seat belts in a car: I can't drive in a parking lot without buckling up and if I even sit on a motersickel without gear I feel ~nekkid~. Back in The Day I didn't wear a helmet much, and if I did it was a "novelty" helmet. No jacket, gloves or boots either. I just thank the power that be I rode for 40 years with nothing happening. When I hit a goat two years and took a fall, I was VERY glad I wore gear because it could have been MUCH worse than it was. And now wear even more gear.

Eventually, everybody falls. Get a group of riders around a table and the crash stories come out. The difference is those with gear had little real damage and those that didn't suffered more severe injuries. Don't discount the pain and slow healing of "road rash"; skin doesn't have a chance against pavement or gravel at speed.

Tattoo this on the inside of your eyelids, PICHARDO: Dress for the fall, not for the ride. Thank me later.

There is a wide variety of riding gear out there.One of the best online shops is : www.motorcycle-superstore.com. They have a HUGE selection of gear at good prices.

But what do I wear? Gear is very personal and I value utility over style, but opinions vary. The kind of riding I do now-6-7 hours a day for a week or more-means I need to dress for almost all conditions. So here is MT personal gear from the ground to the head. Of course, opinions vary.

Boots: VERY important as a high % of injuries in crashes are to ankles. I wear boots that are waterproof, have an ankle cup, shin and toe protection built in. They have a slimmer profile than yours for rapid toe shifting (can't do that in clunky boots) and have an extra layer of leather for the toe shifter (left boot always.) They alsy are mid-shin in length. I currently wear Tourmaster Solution 2.0 Road Boots:
h_tmb112_black.jpg

I wear over the calf perspiration-wicking athletic socks with thick footboxes underneath.

Pants are very important. Leather is best but also very hot, I wear mesh pants with armor in the kneew and hips. I've gravitated toward the Joe rocket line for great value/quality ratio. I currently wear Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 pants:
2488_Phoenix_3.0_Pant300.jpg

BUT as I get older I better understand risks. So I don't just wear pants for protection. i also wear this underneath them, Bonn Armor Pants. they have shin, knee, hip and butt armor built in and are all-day comfortable. I know many guys who wear these with a pair of athletic shorts underneath, like me:
images

I wear a Body Armor-style wicking t-shirt. On top of that is one of my favorite pieces of gear, something I HIGHLY recommend, the AXO Air cage, like a super comfortable compression shirt with chest, shoulder, elbow and back armor built in. Note that Bonn Armor also has a armor shirt. I just like the AXO:
images

For a jacket, I also like the Joe Rocket and Fieldsheer lines, but opinions vary. I now wear this, the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0:
2298_Phoenix_5.0_Jacket300.jpg

I wear a stretchy Buff neck scarf for wind and sun protection. I can also pull it over my mouth and nose when it gets dusty:
0454_35.JPG

Gloves are easily overlooked. When you see someone with those fingerless gloves with the knuckles cut out, chuckle inside, he knows not what he's doing. Hands and fingers are VERY vulnerable. I currently wear Tourmaster Gel Cruiser 2 glove, mesh with gel palms and reinforced leather knuckles:
h_gc2g_black.jpg

Helmets. THE most important gear. Defimitely wear a full-face helmet as almost 40% of head impacts are around the face and jaw,not the noggin. A shell or 3/4 just doesn't offer the protection a full face does. Again there are many, many manufacturers and each has a loyal following. I currently wear a Scorpion EXO-900. It's a solid flip-face helmet with integrated internal "flip down" sun shades. I LOVE this helmet!
images

Nope, the Harley crowd won't think I'm cool, and I'm A-OK with that. I'm a "function over form" guy. I wear gear for protection, NOT to be in the cool crowd.

And speaking of Harley, might I suggest you take a peek at the V-Rod. I'm not at all a Harley guy, but the V-Rod is the best motorcycle they make even if the hardcore everything-Harley crowd pretty much rejects it. For a Harley, it's not a Harley:cheeky::
images

Bottom line: I don't want to crash...they are NOT fun...but I am dressed properly for the occasion if it comes up. And MOST of the MotoCaribe guests are dressed very similarly. Everybody wears gear.

Thanks for the buying list!

As you said, Harley fans are not too into the V-Rod, and count me in as one of them! LOL!!!

I love the Fat Boy for the looks not the "advanced" parts in it. The V-Rod as you said is a great bike and all around superb in everything one could think of when riding. But again! I'm more of a Fat Boy type of nerd!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks for the buying list!

As you said, Harley fans are not too into the V-Rod, and count me in as one of them! LOL!!!

I love the Fat Boy for the looks not the "advanced" parts in it. The V-Rod as you said is a great bike and all around superb in everything one could think of when riding. But again! I'm more of a Fat Boy type of nerd!
Just pray Harley never tries to build a jet. :cheeky:

top.jpg

When I had my VTX, I usta ride with my Harley friends. They made me ride in back. They were afraid if I got ahead they'd never be able to catch up.

Besides, somebody needed to be in back to pick up the parts that rattled off their bikes...;)

(j/k:))

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I guess that's why:

2832328569_b0a80fa87b.jpg

It's like those "If it ain't leakin', it ain't British" kind of things in life one comes to expect!
LOL!!!!

The first thing I was told when I got caught eyeing a Fat Boy, was that if I wasn't willin' to get grease on my fingers, hands and face to look at Honda or some other Japanese stuff... They joked that each bike comes already "broken" from the factory so that the marriage is sealed from the start...

I love the V-Strom for DR trips and the HD for intown/city "paseitos". I'm also making room for a lighter version of the V-Strom for those other circumstances where it will be safe to ride a proper kind of a bike.

I just sweet mouthed my sister in Windsor to split with her Honda Touring Pilot and send it to the DR for me. Her husband already spent a load of cash into extras for it, since he enjoys hauling his ATVs, bikes, etc... all the time with it. I figured I'll save me the time and trouble of setting it up myself (with my limited knowledge on that basis) and just snatch this one away. I know for a fact he was lusting after a Nissan Titan but couldn't find an excuse to buy it, now I'd given him the perfect opportunity to go crazy with it!!! I'm a great guy! Don't you know it!!!!

Now a question for you Robert:

If I'm to haul (for whatever reasons it might happen to be) the HD Fat Boy, a 650 V-Strom and a lighter (maybe a 350 or 450) bike with some utilities like gas cans, tool box, ATV, etc... What type/size/capacity trailer I should be looking for here in the states to ship down there??? Open or covered??? Ramp door or side doors?

My brother in law is very smart to let me know about trailers and stuff, but when it comes to knowing how best that applies for the DR is another thing! You on the other hand, have the experience under the belt to dish it out!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
He said that an enclosed aluminum trailer could be the best choice for DR, but he wasn't sure about that since aluminum trailers are at a disadvantage when it comes to road conditions against heavier type of materials.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't let me interfere....... but here's a good Cdn manufacturer, not far from Windsor.

Very close to me here on Lake Huron...10 minutes away... if you need my help.

Take a look......... all aluminum... no rust

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If I'm to haul (for whatever reasons it might happen to be) the HD Fat Boy, a 650 V-Strom and a lighter (maybe a 350 or 450) bike with some utilities like gas cans, tool box, ATV, etc... What type/size/capacity trailer I should be looking for here in the states to ship down there??? Open or covered??? Ramp door or side doors?

My brother in law is very smart to let me know about trailers and stuff, but when it comes to knowing how best that applies for the DR is another thing! You on the other hand, have the experience under the belt to dish it out!
The limiting factor for a trailer is the roads. We had a massive 7x14 enclosed dual axel trailer that proved to be serious overkill. We now go with a 6x10 single axel open trailer. Go to WebBikeWorld.com. They review the trailer design we had built here.

Three bikes can be staggered and tied down on a 6x10 with room for tools and boxes.

But here is the bike I REALLY want for putzing around of down here, a Russian Ural military-spec sidecar:
gearup_03_520.jpg

THAT's the bomb! :cheeky:

And PICHARDO, do yourself a favorand look for a used fat Boy. There are a bazillion out there, some with almost no mileage on them, many completely farkled out. You'll save a TON of cash.

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
Hey dude u seem to know about bikes i am in orlando now jaja i got some work here for a few days... Anyways i got a place in d.r. I want a big bike i like that yamaha curuser **** i forgot name but u wrote about it... I have very good job in states.. My thing is i am 5'09'' and i want feet on ground that will not change i had different h.d. I need set 26'' on less and were and how do i order a bike in d.r.??? Thanks

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Hey dude u seem to know about bikes i am in orlando now jaja i got some work here for a few days... Anyways i got a place in d.r. I want a big bike i like that yamaha curuser **** i forgot name but u wrote about it... I have very good job in states.. My thing is i am 5'09'' and i want feet on ground that will not change i had different h.d. I need set 26'' on less and were and how do i order a bike in d.r.??? Thanks
You go to a dealer and order one.