Motorcycle dealership ????

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Sure. Here is one, not mine:
Suzuki-DL650-V-Strom.jpg

It's a "dual sport" bike, 80% sport bike, 20% dirt bike, 430lbs. wet. Very long and tall, not for really short people. The suspension is highly compliant and sucks up bad pavement and potholes with a very long rebound. The engine is from an SV650, recammed for more low-end torque and bulletproof. 62hp. Riding position is upright so it's extremely comfortable for long days in the saddle. The tires are for both dirt and tarmac. You can ride in dirt like a DT and carve twisties like a GXR. They are the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles, the classic example of function over form.

appears very much like my CF Moto but with more pulling power and I'm sure a much higher price tag

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Kawasaki Versys
Might want to take a look at this 650- ride is real comfortable, sits up high with great suspension.
Easy, powerful, street savy yet functional with sport/ride feel.
Love it...Magna Motors can get it for you...selling now.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB , does your RESPECTED COUSIN have any bridges or waterfalls for sale ? lol I'm new but not brand new CB
Nope, no bridges or waterfalls. They have bikes for sale. Silid, respected local folks, here for over 75 years. Heck, their grandfather has a small park in town named after him.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Im guestimating somewhere around 13-14 thou.... however, don't rely on this number.
Call Tony Lama at Magna Motors in Santo Domingo- or ask for the Kawasaki Sales rep.
I can tell you, at the last Motorcycle Distributor show in Vegas, it was a hot item.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
suggest that you try: Kawasaki.com
Go to the cruiser/sport section and hit the bike for specs...
I sold the Distributorship to Magna so I've been dedicated to other businesses, but I think this bike is a winner for the DR market and road types.
When you click on the Versys link on the previous post, if you scroll down on the page, you get more information. I think is around 840mm - take a look.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
CB , does your RESPECTED COUSIN have any bridges or waterfalls for sale ? lol I'm new but not brand new CB

CB happens to be one of the few on this board DOES NOT talk out of his A$$!
I guess you are better off paying full gringo price my freng without an intro.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Nope, no bridges or waterfalls. They have bikes for sale. Silid, respected local folks, here for over 75 years. Heck, their grandfather has a small park in town named after him.
CB, no disrespect but when I hear " respected cousin " or " very religioous" my antenna goes up. lol

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Kawasaki Versys
Might want to take a look at this 650- ride is real comfortable, sits up high with great suspension.
Easy, powerful, street savy yet functional with sport/ride feel.
Love it...Magna Motors can get it for you...selling now.
Nice bikes. When we were researching bikes in '07, the Versys had engine problems, both with high vibration and maintenance. The new ones, like your link, supposedly have been imporved. If we were buying new bikes today, they'd again be in the mix. One downside of the Versys is poor ergonomics for 2-up riding. It's more of a rider-only bike.

But the new V-Strom is also out:
Suzuki-V-Strom-650-ABS-2012.jpg

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, no disrespect but when I hear " respected cousin " or " very religioous" my antenna goes up. lol
Come to Jarabacoa, ask around. Don't take my word until you satisfy yourself as far as credibility.

Remember: some of the most devious, low-end, desperate, trashy liars on this island are ex-pats (this comes from experience.)Trust NO ONE until they PROVE themselves to you. Thank me later.

But I also know two other large dealers in town. I'll introduce you to them, too, and you can judge for yourself.

:classic:

Just tryin' to help...

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Come to Jarabacoa, ask around. Don't take my word until you satisfy yourself as far as credibility.

Remember: some of the most devious, low-end, desperate, trashy liars on this island are ex-pats (this comes from experience.)Trust NO ONE until they PROVE themselves to you. Thank me later.

But I also know two other large dealers in town. I'll introduce you to them, too, and you can judge for yourself.

:classic:

Just tryin' to help...
CB, I guess people take me too seriously, I live by the grain of salt theory. I am greatful for your input so please don't be offended by my jibbs. They are in jset only

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, I guess people take me too seriously, I live by the grain of salt theory. I am greatful for your input so please don't be offended by my jibbs. They are in jset only
No prob. But still: do not trust expats until they prove themselves fully. This may be the single best piece of advice anyone can give you.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
No prob. But still: do not trust expats until they prove themselves fully. This may be the single best piece of advice anyone can give you.
CB , thanks ! but we both know human nature is human nature, we have both the good, the bad and the in between
( somewhat normal) lol

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Nice bikes. When we were researching bikes in '07, the Versys had engine problems, both with high vibration and maintenance. The new ones, like your link, supposedly have been imporved. If we were buying new bikes today, they'd again be in the mix. One downside of the Versys is poor ergonomics for 2-up riding. It's more of a rider-only bike.

But the new V-Strom is also out:
Suzuki-V-Strom-650-ABS-2012.jpg

CB How much this one down here in the DR?? 2011 model??? (no need to have an ergonomic good angle for 2-up riding for me!)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
2010 Kawasaki Versys v BMW F650GS v Suzuki V-Strom

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cy16XkzFXdY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cy16XkzFXdY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB How much this one down here in the DR?? 2011 model??? (no need to have an ergonomic good angle for 2-up riding for me!)
The '12's aren't out yet. I'm guessing the '11's are around RD$450,000-475,000. JDJones says he saw some at Blue Mall. Check with Bonanza. They import them.

A new '11 V-Strom ABS (great option) in the states is around US$8000. And there is a massive aftermarket "farkle" (function & sparkle) market for the V-Strom. However, consider finding a fully farkled used one. You'll save a bunch of $$$.

We did an exhaustive, objective analysis of bikes judged on a matrix of 10 criteria. We literally looked at every brand and every model. We got the list down to 16 bikes and test rode all of those (in the states.)

Before the analysis, Initially I leaned toward middleweight cruisers (like the Honda Aero). My partner leaned more toward sport touring bikes. Chip will recall some of the discussions about this. It was he who suggested the V-Strom. Frankly, I dodn't know much about them at the time.

The V-Strom topped or tied virtually every criteria we had. Others were highly rated. But what put it in the Winners Circle was three things:
  • Reputation for bullet-proof mechanics. Few bikes ever produced have as strong a reputation of "put oil in it and go."
  • Reputation for comfort during long rides. Not just ergos, but ergos 6 hours a day for 6-10 straight days, including two-up.
  • Price. The V-Strom is an excellent bang-for-the-buck bike.
When it comes time to replace the fleet, I have no idea what bikes we'd get. We'll do the matrix all over again.
PICHARDO, two-up matters. You being a newly single guy, take my word for it. Open invitation to drop by Camp Moto next time you're in the DR.

All that being said, note I said the V-Strom is the best for the conditions in the DR. If I was in the states, there would be a different decision process, because the road and riding conditions are so different. One thing that would change: I'd go larger displacement because of the higher speeds on Interstate and state highways, something like the Triumph Tiger 800XC or Yamahammer Super Tenere. That would be for a fleet of identical bikes. If I moved back to FL, I'd definitely find a good used V-Strom 1000. Same bike, same ergos, 30lbs more, bigger motor.

There is a right tool for every job.The secret is determining what tool you need. And Need should always trump want.