Moving back to DR (north coast) when I retire: do or don't

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
So glad I choose to live in Santaigo. Have everything I need with zero hassle.
Same here!

I’m so glad I chose the North of the country (not NC) to live several months out of the year until I make my full move. It’s a personal choice that the person who asked the question originally will have to make himself.

I myself couldn’t live in beach town, especially Puerto Plata and definitely NOT SOSUA…. Living close to Santiago is the sweet spot for me. City life and Campo life at the same time. I can drive up to Jarabacoa, visit family in Salcedo and Tenaras, go to Macorís or Bonao, hit the road to Las Terrenas when I want some beach time and explore the different rivers and waterfalls all over the North.

I love to mix it up with with the actual people that make up the Dom Republic.

The good, the bad and even the not so ugly…..

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I like the north coast for short stints. However, it's the "West Vir

If I remember correctly, there are some issues with US Social Security if you choose to have checks directly deposited into a Dominican bank.

I believe additional paperwork is needed and failure to complete it allows thr SSA to discontinue pension payments.
use the Direct express master card, debit card

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
CR, how is the water and electricity in Santiago as opposed to the NC?
I live in the center of town. Water and electricity 24/7 hasn't been an issue
for several years minus the occasional transformer exploding about once or twice
a summer but always fixed within an hour or two.

Haven't lived on the north coast (Charamicos) since May of 2014.
At the time water was never an issue however the electricity was hit or miss
for most of the time I lived up there. I know several people living in and around Puerto Plata,
Sosua and Cabarete both Dominican and foreign. From what I am told it's not
much better than it was when I lived there.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Sounds like advice from someone who has lived and worked in DR for over 12 years, speaks Spanish fluently, has Dominican family and has zero communication with expats other than on here.
For me, how long anyone has lived in the DR of if they speak with expats or not is not everything. Every single person is still different. I would never get bored of any nature nor the beaches. My wife has always hated crowded places. We go to a city to take care of stuff, and then it's back to the less crowded places...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Very easy to fly to the USA from POP. How often do you need to shop for clothing? Hospitals? Lifestyle often affects how often you need medical care. Beeter off not eating food from a supermarket, if avoidable.

The OP started his post saying he had medical problems. So I would have thought availability of hospitals would be a thing. And you're seriously asking me how often I need to shop for clothing, she of the multiple walk-in closets and over 100 pairs of shoes? Righty ho

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
The OP started his post saying he had medical problems. So I would have thought availability of hospitals would be a thing. And you're seriously asking me how often I need to shop for clothing, she of the multiple walk-in closets and over 100 pairs of shoes? Righty ho
OP does mention a chronic condition requiring daily medication, and wondering the cost of those meds here. As he has family here, I'm sure they can ask in a farmacia...that answers that. Maybe hospital availability isn't the issue, at this point anyway. Your "righty ho" made me laugh!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Ho my goodness.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
As opposed to eating pica pollo on the street? :D Gotta buy food somewhere! Maybe you were referring to cafeterias and hot "to go" items in the supermarkets?
You say that like it's a bad thing. The hot food I get to go in Bravo is probably healthier than most other places, and cheap. I'm having Mero for lunch today for 3 bucks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
LOL, My wife buy shoes almost every time we go to Santiago, and out of country even worse. I think she brought about 20 pairs from Spain.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
By the way, where on earth would one purchase a handbag on the north coast? Gotta have a bag to match the shoes, that is the law. And make-up? I'd have to have a truck-load of goodies delivered every month to survive up there.

Reactions: Fulano2 and Big
Nov 9, 2023
SC
By the way, where on earth would one purchase a handbag on the north coast? Gotta have a bag to match the shoes, that is the law. And make-up? I'd have to have a truck-load of goodies delivered every month to survive up there.
I know these tricks. Then it needs a matching belt, jacket, purse, pants etc. Then something else is bought because it was on sale and it starts all over again. When I say something about it to my wife the cost of my habits is countered back to me. Lol