Moving mattress and stuff back to USA

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I am completely done with the DR after 7 years. Theft by the government, fraud by banks, and now I got my stuff stolen and the prosecutor will only say get a lawyer.
I will make a detailed post so new and prospective people wanting to move can understand problems living here in the future.

I live in Bavaro and need to know how to get the big stuff like a bed, back to Miami. This was a $3000 mattress and I am not leaving it.

I realize I will probably have to get it to SD, that's not a problem. Does anyone have companies that have worked well in the past?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I will make a detailed post so new and prospective people wanting to move can understand problems living here in the future.
I'm always amazed when I hear these types of stories. Please do tell.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I'm always amazed when I hear these types of stories. Please do tell.
after as long as you have been here, nothing should amaze you about what happens in the DR.. But when I have an hour, I will detail the last 2 years that drove me out. Actually heading to Medellin,, but figure its more of a logistical nightmare to Columbia from here. The bed is special, as I have back injuries.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Yo tambien. This is not the topic of the post - but I also want to know how you got your "stuff stolen." In Bavaro. I got screwed out of $2000 usd about two years ago. Real estate. And, will never forget it. At the time, I just wrote it off as lesson learned. I could have pursued it in court but the guy was a lawyer and knew the fiscal. So, looked like a loser to me (the case). I could have eventually won, but would have paid more in lawyer fees.

Anyway I guess we should stay on topic. How to get stuff to Miami.

Reactions: Jumbo

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
yes,, my attorney is always reminding me about my freedom of speech and not being able to tell a true story for fears I will get sued and put in jail..

Reactions: colmcb and cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"I will make a detailed post so new and prospective people wanting to move can understand problems living here in the future."
The most common way these problems occur with us westerners is we move down here but don't adapt the Dominican mindset. Not saying this to be they case with Tonchi however... it does happen quite often.

As far as transporting his things up to Miami, I would suggest contacting the same company who moved them down here provided they have an office in the PC area, explain to them your plans and see if they can assist you or point you in the right direction.

We have discussed the topic of shipping large items north in the past and from what I'm told, it's both difficult and expensive.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
It was originally shipped by a regular freight forwarder who also did ocean cargo in Sosua.. It was CPS... But I think everything came through SD and a truck brought it to Sosua.

Reactions: CristoRey

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
yes,, my attorney is always reminding me about my freedom of speech and not being able to tell a true story for fears I will get sued and put in jail..
Its true. They take that sh$t seriously here. Especially lawyers. Even though they may not win a case against you, they can make things very difficult or complicated for you for some time. Usually not worth it. There are better ways to prevail.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Many posters have asked this question over the years, and no one has ever come back to say they were successful. If you do find a way, please let us know the details!

You may want to consider Marketplace to sell it instead.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Many posters have asked this question over the years, and no one has ever come back to say they were successful. If you do find a way, please let us know the details!

On a couple of occasions, we've wanted to ship stuff out out of the DR and to EU, more precisely to Hamburg/Germany, and I was kindly pointed to Hispaniola Shipping. Years ago I did even get quotes from them, but due to our financials back then, we could not do it. So I cannot say how it would have been, but there are indeed companies that do this. They quoted by qm at that time and had a minimum charge for like 200 USD if I recall correctly. They did even reply to my emails back then, which I usually do not expect from a Dominican company.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
On a couple of occasions, we've wanted to ship stuff out out of the DR and to EU, more precisely to Hamburg/Germany, and I was kindly pointed to Hispaniola Shipping. Years ago I did even get quotes from them, but due to our financials back then, we could not do it. So I cannot say how it would have been, but there are indeed companies that do this. They quoted by qm at that time and had a minimum charge for like 200 USD if I recall correctly. They did even reply to my emails back then, which I usually do not expect from a Dominican company.
I would gladly pay that $200.. I sent them a contact request...thanks..

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015

This is precious cargo as I always have terrible back pain when sleeping in another bed.. They are too firm and I am too old.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
What you need is shipping in a freight container. So if it's just a mattress, it's not worth it, even if it's a $3000 mattress. But if you want to ship all your stuff and there's a lot of it, then put it all in the same container and ship it wherever you want. There are companies in Santo Domingo that can come to your home, pack all the stuff, put it in the truck, bring it to their facilities, put it in a container and ship it to any country you want, but it won't be cheap. When my ex-wife was moving to another country, she took all her stuff, some furniture, they came to my place, packed everything in one day, next day moved it to their warehouse, then a couple of days later it was on its way to the destination country. But once again, that was more than twice more expensive than your mattress costs. If you want it cheaper, you need to do a lot of work yourself, pack everything yourself, find a cheaper trucking service to get it to the shipper's warehouse, find a shipper who will give you a better price on container shipping, or maybe you can find another person to share a container with, to the same destination. But anyway, it will not be cheaper than your mattress costs. So if the only reason why you're still here in DR is that mattress, sell it for a fraction of its price here and leave, you will save a lot of time and money, trust me.