Moving to Cabarete - PLEASE HELP?

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Wher's the manual

Ok, all you DR residents, please quit playing games with this guy. Would the last person who used the "How To Move To The DR and Live Like a King/Queen with Little Money" manual, please forward it to cshine73?:speechles :speechles

Thanks you.

cshine73 said:
Ok... so from your post.. I am reading.. I am watching.
Everyone is dancing and no one is talking
Eveyone is saying.. listen to us.. learn about it first.... but.. ??? HELLLOOO are any of you listenting to me.. I understand it's different... I'm asking you to tell me, teach me the things you are telling me to learn?? Everyone says.. "go learn about DR.. go read about DR.. do some investigation.." etc etc.. IS ANYONE READING THIS... THIS IS HOW I'M TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT IT... I WANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT IT.... HERE... NOW!!!... STOP TELLING ME TO GO LEARN... if all you can tell me is.. it's different.. and look into it... ??? than thanks for your input.. or lack of.... All these warnings and advice not to come... but.. no one is specific about the warnings.. or specific with their advice.. everyone just likes to offer 2 cents worth.. I want more than 2 cents advice..
Tell me abou the people.. the culture.. I have read it.. I've read it's different... how to drive.. drive honk honking lingo.. laws.. etc etc etc etc....

you said
"But, if you can learn this place, learn to hack it and learn to love it, you can be happy here." YES.. I want to learn Oh wise one... Please... teach me... stop just telling me to learn it... Tell me what I need to learn.. that is what this forum is for??? or so I thought... but. it just seems like people like flapping their chops on here.. everyone claims to have good advice.. they start to give good advice.. but..can't finish giving it.. and can't back it up... I don't get it...

?? you are tired of DR now??
Oh boy.. that is promissing.. ????
uug...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
shadInToronto said:
Ok, all you DR residents, please quit playing games with this guy. Would the last person who used the "How To Move To The DR and Live Like a King/Queen with Little Money" manual, please forward it to cshine73?:speechles :speechles

Thanks you.

Unfortunately that manual is being rewritten at the moment. The users found that there were bugs and a major upgrade release is in the works... (I'm trying to put a smiley in here but cannot seem to get it to work...)

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Free smileys

Chris said:
Unfortunately that manual is being rewritten at the moment. The users found that there were bugs and a major upgrade release is in the works... (I'm trying to put a smiley in here but cannot seem to get it to work...)
Here you go Chris :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
nice attitude

If you move to the DR with the attitude you have shown on this board you chances are very little people will wish to help you. There is no possible way people can tell you on a board every single detail about living in the DR. People can tell you it's different but you will not understand until you are there. People can tell you about the driving and the honk lingo but you will not understand until you are there. We can tell you that 5 people ride to one motoconcho or how, on a four lane road, there are 3 cars going one way, 3 going the other and motoconchos driving up in between, but until you see it, you will not understand. It seems you want someone to take hours of their time, tell you all about the endless possibilities that the DR has to offer, tell you all about the laws and the culture. You can not learn culture from reading posts on the internet. You can only learn it when you're there eating the food, listening to the music and getting to know the people of the country. Now, I know my post is not what you want. 2 cents with no details of living there. But I, and I'm sure others, are not about to help some guy who has shown nothing but disrespect to the opinions he has received. In one way or another every single post that is written in this thread holds value. It's up to you what you take. If someone asked you about moving to Canada would you tell them absolutely everything they needed to know if they had never been there..probably not. (yes, you've been to Punta Cana but the North Coast is not the same). For Goodness sake, stop talking about it and just get on a plane and go experience it!!!

cshine73 said:
Ok... so from your post.. I am reading.. I am watching.
Everyone is dancing and no one is talking
Eveyone is saying.. listen to us.. learn about it first.... but.. ??? HELLLOOO are any of you listenting to me.. I understand it's different... I'm asking you to tell me, teach me the things you are telling me to learn?? Everyone says.. "go learn about DR.. go read about DR.. do some investigation.." etc etc.. IS ANYONE READING THIS... THIS IS HOW I'M TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT IT... I WANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT IT.... HERE... NOW!!!... STOP TELLING ME TO GO LEARN... if all you can tell me is.. it's different.. and look into it... ??? than thanks for your input.. or lack of.... All these warnings and advice not to come... but.. no one is specific about the warnings.. or specific with their advice.. everyone just likes to offer 2 cents worth.. I want more than 2 cents advice..
Tell me abou the people.. the culture.. I have read it.. I've read it's different... how to drive.. drive honk honking lingo.. laws.. etc etc etc etc....

you said
"But, if you can learn this place, learn to hack it and learn to love it, you can be happy here." YES.. I want to learn Oh wise one... Please... teach me... stop just telling me to learn it... Tell me what I need to learn.. that is what this forum is for??? or so I thought... but. it just seems like people like flapping their chops on here.. everyone claims to have good advice.. they start to give good advice.. but..can't finish giving it.. and can't back it up... I don't get it...

?? you are tired of DR now??
Oh boy.. that is promissing.. ????
uug...

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
I have been living in Santo Domingo for four years coming from the USA. I love Cabarete. It is my favorite place to vacation, but I don't know if I could live there for an extended period of time. I moved only because my job was moving here. Otherwise, I would have stayed in the states.

Despite what others say, the best advice is what some of the others said above in the other posts - it is best to give it a try for a short time without giving up your life in Canada. If you really like it, then go for it.

I am close to your age, educated, and single also. It is a good position to be in for taking chances. This country is great, but it is also very frustrating at times.

I always tell people - tell me what you think about the country after three years. There is always a different attitude toward life here after that time. That is just my opinion.

Good luck!
Mark

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
shadInToronto said:
Here you go Chris :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sweet!

Closer to the original post... The poster asked... "Tell me what I need to learn.."

I thought you needed to learn to live in the Dominican Republic? That is what you're wailin' about not so?... Well, come here then and live and learn what you don't know. No-one here can give you the magic words.. they do not exist. You need to live here, sleep here, dream here, talk here, eat here, buy stuff here, interact with the people here, etc etc.. You get the picture I'm sure.

And once you have a specific question and post it here, many will help and give you the benefit of their experience. But I have no time to tell you how to shop at the local colmado if you're not ready to walk in and go shop.

Here is one piece of wisdom for you.. The Dominican Republic has many carwashes. You can indeed wash your car at a carwash. But you can also drink a beer or rum and coke, go to a party and dance with the locals and listen to popular musicians. Many of the popular musicians travel from carwash to carwash to perform. Just watch the signs outside the carwashes and hanging over the road sometime... you'll soon get the hang of who performs where and you can just go. There are a few other perks to going to a carwash to party, but that's enough for now.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, I'm in the mood for some fun here. Who else can think of things to know to be streetwise in the DR?

Just thought of another lesson.. I do not know whether you are male of female... but, just incase you are male.. If you're walking down the street and a lovely young lady lifts up her skirts to flash you, watch out.. There is another one right behind you who is waiting to pick your pocket while you are distracted.

And here is another one.. it is a 'must do' to play dominos and drink beer with some crowd somewhere on a Saturday afternoon - just walk up when you see this happening, talk to some people and before you know it, you too can while away an afternoon with beer and dominos...

And here is another one.. Go and read the bloggers on DR1. You'll get a real feel for real life real soon.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Good upgrade of manual v0.1

Chris said:
OK, I'm in the mood for some fun here. Who else can think of things to know to be streetwise in the DR?

Just thought of another lesson.. I do not know whether you are male of female... but, just incase you are male.. If you're walking down the street and a lovely young lady lifts up her skirts to flash you, watch out.. There is another one right behind you who is waiting to pick your pocket while you are distracted.

And here is another one.. it is a 'must do' to play dominos and drink beer with some crowd somewhere on a Saturday afternoon - just walk up when you see this happening, talk to some people and before you know it, you too can while away an afternoon with beer and dominos...

And here is another one.. Go and read the bloggers on DR1. You'll get a real feel for real life real soon.
The manual revision project is progressing on time and within budget ... meanwhile, v0.gothere will suffice :)

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Moving to London - Advice

Ok.. I have no attitude with you people on this forum.. honest..
Im fursterated and scared.. and I only want someone to ACTUALLY help... not just tell me I need help.. or tell me not to bother..

Maybe you are receiving sort of emotions in my posts... or taking me as agressive some how?? I dunno.. I assure you I am not.. I'm only frustrated by the people in the forum that are apparently here to help. and they have offered very little advice other than.. NOT TO DO IT... I WILL FALL ON MY *** ! that is not advice... sorry..

I'm sure you need no reminders.. Attitude / personality and emotions can not be read online, in an email.. or on a post in a forum... very very difficult to do.. So.. chill out DR forum folks.. I'm here to listen and learn... and make friends... Not have an attitude and make enemies.. I'm asking people to make me a list of do's and don'ts.. What to watch out for.. how NOT to get taken for a ride.. How to go about finding work... Places to contact.. etc.

I just dont' seem to be getting any answers from all these people who claim.. hey have the answers.. they have advice.. they have gone through it.. and they survived.. but.. they don't want to give up their secrets on how to do it.... They only want to tease me that they know all... and laugh.. and say I will fall flat on my ***!! Yet.. they still say.. COME..and ENJOY.. fall flat on your ***.. and enjoy learning all the things we already know and have already experienced.. but.. Nooooo... we aren't going to tell you about them.. find out for yourself and fall flat on your ***.. haha.. that's not help or advice ...

Ok.. here.. If I was active on a "London, Ontario, Canada" forum.. and someone asked for advice.. help.. cuz they were moving here from another country to try it... I would try to help them , customize the help and advice I give to this particular person.. Ask them questions... that would relate to day to day living in London.. ones that I know.. when given the answers.. I could direct them one way or another of how to enjoy their stay here and try to be successful for their stay in London.. do they have kids coming with them.. any health concerns.. medical insurance.. etc..

- I would tell them about our seasons.. how to dress for our seasons.. Depending on what season they will arive here.. tell them what clothes they need to be wearing for their arrival.. even tell them where they could buy the clothes if they can't buy things like that in DR. (give names, locations and #'s to the stores where they could buy things they needed..

- I would tell them about our education systems.. schools here... Day care here.. how to contact them.. (give them names.. phone #'s addresses etc..(if they were interested in school)

- Jobs.. I would tell them they need "legal" immigration work permits to work here.. I would give them names.. phone #'s addresses.. approximate costs of the paper work.. to the government offices where they can find these things..

- I would explain our transportation system.. getting a drivers licence.. or using public transportation.. and the costs involved.. When they get to the airport... the taxi ride should cost them about 15-18.00 to get to down town... and don't get sucked into paying 45.00 cuz they are a tourist..

- Packing.. what to bring.. what not to bring... what is available here.. what is not available here.. asprin, sun block, razors, shampoo, dressy clothing, casual clothing, athletic clothing, sandles, running shoes.. dress shoes.. boots.. eye drops, ear drops..?

- I would ask them what kind of work they are looking for.. I would suggest to them how much they would probably earn.. where in the city they would most likey want to live (they may have heard of a nice 2 bedroom place for 1300.00 per month..but.. of course.. across the street.. there are apartments for 400.00 per month) So if their income could not afford the 1300.00 per month.. I would suggest a different apartment building or different area of London for them. I would supply them with the address of the building. and the land lords contact information.. We have public transportation, groceries, hospitals, office buildings, Inustrial area's (Factories) etc and.. describe to them what the different area's of London have to offer them..

- I would explaing to them night life.. entertainment.. hockey games.. entertainment.. festivals and events.. Local hot spots.. Tourist attraction in and near London that are a MUST SEE.. while they visit..
We have a business in London.. called "Tourism London" and other businesses.. that are free to the users... they help get people settled here... give them advice and information.. I would supply them with their contact information..

There is no way I could answer all their questions in just 1 post.. but.. If I was on the forum.. and people are on here to help apparently...?? I would either help them.. or I would not be a member of the forum.. I certainly wouldn't be a member just to talk smack about the place I live in.. I would take the time in a few emails (or on Chat) to get to know the person..their situation.. their expectations/hopes etc.. and ask them how they want their life to be in London.. and give them the best advice I could offer.. to get them started in their new life!! I certainly wouldn't try to scare them away.. and tell them how horrible it is..

Like I said.. people like flappin their chops on here.. They suggest they have all the answers and advice... they like to tease you with suggestions and ideas.. They like scaring you.. differing you.. and set you up for failure... but.. no one has stepped up to the plate.. and offered to actualyl help.. For example.. if you don't have the time to help me... maybe you have a similar organization (like the Tourism London here) but in DR .. that will actually help me get settled in DR??? if so.. just send me their contact info....?? Plain and simple.. and no one would have to actually do anything to help me. I don't want to read any more brochures.. or read any more BS in the forums. I'd like to talk to a real person.. With a good heart and soul.. That askes me questions.. gets to know me.. and can offer me some sound advice on where to go.. how to get there.. what to expect... what to prepare for.. What to bring... what not to bring... Still Looking for help.... is anyone on the same page??

Thanks for your time..
Chad

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Everything you ask for in your last post is possible to find on this messageboard. You have gotten info on posts with this, and look at the top of the page, also info sections.
This is a messageboard, and these issues you mention have been discussed hundreds of time. The info is here!

The rest you have to learn, step by step when you arrive.
Specific questions you have, ask them and someone might know the answer to them.

Your posts right now, does not make any sense, and you are more or less demanding that people should take time of their lifes to educate you on something that life itself can teach us.

That will be the last from me, I am already tired of you.

Tony-O

Jun 11, 2005
Don't know why I bother...........

OK Chad,
The reason that several expats living here are painting a not-so-rosy picture is because living in the DR will take a strong commitment on your behalf.

You stated in post #20 ?And.. I will start dipping into too much savings if I choose to stay in Ontario for more than 3 weeks..?
You will dip into your savings while living here. However, while in the DR living off your savings you can seek ways to secure something that may be longer term. This is what the other posters imply when they state to just come on down, live here and get a clear idea as to how things are here. Chris couldn?t have stated it better than when he posted ?For a year or so.. heck yes! come on down.. you'll have loads of fun. If you decide to stay, you'll at least know what you're in for?

You stated in post #23 ?I do many things aside from the computer field.. but.. that is a very easy and guaranteed business to get into... and.. good money wherever you go to be honest... I can work for a large hotel.. or a small one.. or.. open my own computer business.. or.. work for an educational institute and teach computers?? All these must be a decent living.. Afford a house maybe even some day... a boat or sea-doo.. jeep.. or motor bikes.. I want to have an easy life.. be successfull and enjoy life and the enviroment and people around me..?
IT/computer work goes almost entirely to local talent who are fluent in Spanish as well as another language, usually English. The jobs that foreigners have in areas such as Cabarete are in the tourist industry. Most home owner expats in the DR were able to purchase their home (plus a few thousand $ extra to ensure electricity) and auto before moving there. Those I know who?ve started from humble beginnings spent a few years working/networking before they were able to make large purchases. I know of nobody who moved there without having already secured a good job who makes decent wages right off the bat, and that includes several Dominican and US physicians who were away doing their specialty training in the US before returning/moving to the DR. Carina summed this up well in post #27 ?There are people in your age doing fine here, both locals and expats. It has for sure taken them alots of money and years to reach that point.
They know the culture, they are fluent in Spanish.?

You stated in post #25 ?I would be happy.. if I woke up everyday to warm sunshine.... I'd start the day with a smile.. and breath of fresh air not to mention.... ?
Yes, you probably would be happy. Thus, move on down and test your fortunes.

You stated in post #25, my responses are in parenthesis ?here are some examples.... just examples.. please let me know if they are true or not..
eg.
Pro:
-Weather is beautiful 99% of the time it is 29-32 degrees celcius. (quite true).
-Air is clean.. ( Yes, the air is clean except when you find yourself in traffic while in Santo Domingo).
-food is healthy and fresh. (??.every salad that you yourself do not prepare is a roll of the dice. You will probably get intestinal parasites at some point. Fresh? ?.Chris? post (#30) regarding the state of electricity/refrigeration sums it up).
-surf is good??.(yup)
-not concrete village. (that would be Santo Domingo).
-not fast paced. (this is something that you will only truly appreciate when living here. The slow pace of services can be maddening).
-not "stress" city? (this depends entirely on how your head is screwed on. Your post #49 causes me to wonder).

You stated in post #31 in response to Carina, who was being helpful ?How do you like it? How are you surviving?? What's in your fridge.. do you have a fridge? How does your stuff stay cold when the power goes out?
Wait.. do you have a house / apt? Do you even have walls around you??
Do you live on the street?? How (seeing there are nooo computers there.. it seems like you are doing pretty good at reading these and replying???
Chad, don?t be an ***. CColon, Escott and Scandall are the live-in asses. They work diligently to maintain their status. Larry is their apprentice.

You stated in post #49 ?Im fursterated and scared..?
Not good. The DR is a place for folks who can tough it out. Very few things that are routine day-to-day are as simple here as in Ontario. Example, I chose to have a cell phone that uses pre-paid cards even though it is a bit more costly. Why? Because I detested waiting in line for the incredibly slow, inefficient cashiers at the Verizon center.
Is this helpful? Your questions haven?t been specific.

Again from post #49 ?I'm asking people to make me a list of do's and don'ts.. What to watch out for.. how NOT to get taken for a ride.. How to go about finding work...?
Specifics are needed. A list of do?s and don?t?s would be very very long. Networking while here is how everyone here has learned many of the do?s and don?t?s. If you ask specific questions, you?ll get specific answers. And stop being an ***.

Post #49 once again ?They only want to tease me that they know all... and laugh.. and say I will fall flat on my ***!! Yet.. they still say.. COME..and ENJOY.. fall flat on your ***.. and enjoy learning all the things we already know and have already experienced.. but.. Nooooo... we aren't going to tell you about them.. find out for yourself and fall flat on your ***..?
I?m sure that no more than a few dozen posters want you to fall flat on your ***. The point they make is that much of what you need to know but do not yet know, can only be understood by living in-country. Build some relationships. Make your questions specific and you?ll probably get better answers. And don?t be an ***.

Post #49 blah ?if you don't have the time to help me... maybe you have a similar organization (like the Tourism London here) but in DR .. that will actually help me get settled in DR??? if so.. just send me their contact info....???
That is a joke, correct? An agency that will help you get settled? In reply, I?d say extremely doubtful. Did you really step off the resort property when you visited?

Regardless, good fortune. I hope my post was useful. Tony

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
cshine73 said:
Like I said.. people like flappin their chops on here.. They suggest they have all the answers and advice... they like to tease you with suggestions and ideas.. They like scaring you.. differing you.. and set you up for failure... but.. no one has stepped up to the plate.. and offered to actualyl help.. For example.. if you don't have the time to help me... maybe you have a similar organization (like the Tourism London here) but in DR .. that will actually help me get settled in DR??? if so.. just send me their contact info....?? Plain and simple.. and no one would have to actually do anything to help me. I don't want to read any more brochures.. or read any more BS in the forums. I'd like to talk to a real person.. With a good heart and soul.. That askes me questions.. gets to know me.. and can offer me some sound advice on where to go.. how to get there.. what to expect... what to prepare for.. What to bring... what not to bring... Still Looking for help.... is anyone on the same page??

Thanks for your time..
Chad

Chad, we are helping you. You just don't know that yet... Open mouth, take in pablum.. It will make you grow and is good for you.

Chad, there are no organizations here that will help you. You have to help yourself.

Tell me, after studying the board, do you know anything about inverters? generators?

I've told you bring clothes.. that's all.. leave the rest behind until you can figure it out.. until you can decide whether you like it here or not. I'm revising my statement, bring clothes, a little money and the ability to transfer more money to your credit card, or bring some travellers checks.

Here is a lesson (please read this one)... you can get just about anywhere in this country with public transportation.. initially, use public transportation, it is cheap and plentiful... don't worry about a vehicle initially..

Here is another lesson.. travel kinda a little like a backpacker. Don't flash riches and don't flash cash.

Here is a question.. what accommodation do you think you need and what are you prepared to pay for it.

Here is a lesson.. don't be scared. People will eat you alive if you are scared. Be confident and humble...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tony-O said:
Chris couldn?t have stated it better than when he posted ?For a year or so.. heck yes! come on down.. you'll have loads of fun. If you decide to stay, you'll at least know what you're in for?

Correction Tony-O.. she, not he... She the Grandmother! :) (see smily face... I cannot get it in on the new upgraded board..)

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
hi mate
ignore this clown, quite a few people on this site (but not all) consider this site to be theirs and seemingly choose to speak to newbys as they see fit. You are right to take offense!

Many in my experience simply want to know what your doing / where your from and what toilet paper you use (ie they're trying to mind YOUR business! )Ignore these idiots, and then draw from the people that genuinely wish to help you on this site.

Further, many on this site say 'dont rush in'......My response is to hell with that! If you have money to splash around you will absolutely be able to survive in the DR.....What these people forget is that hundreds of thousands of people travel the world constantly, going from country to country with a come - what - may attitude.........AND do it successfully.

i know loads of people now in the DR, some of which are broke - assed. Living in the DR whilst being broke - assed offers a whole different life experience (as they're used to watching their $$$$'s) to the young and wealthy (like you and yours truly) Mate, if youve got money to burn go for it.
The natural beauty of the country is outstanding and the women are seriously beautiful. I actually live near cabarete and have no regrets...none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
go for it man!

cshine73 said:
OK.. I'm taking a bit of offense to your reply..
No. not a criminal.. Cops don't want me...

Why would you say these things?? You don't even know me?? But.. regardless.. tell me.. why would my reasons for leaving Ontario change your advice or knowledge of your experiences in Cabarete?? Doesn't sound like you are the one to give me the honest answers to tell you the truth..

I came on here.. and I only asked people to let me in on what it's like to live in Cabarete.. Can you handle this without knowing why I chose Cabarete.

Everything in my current situation here in Ontario is settled and lucky me..
Im able to leave Ontario for a while and check out a new place.....

I'm ready to try something new...
My lease on my car is up..
My insurance to my car is up..
I just moved and my belongings safely in storage..
No more rent/mortgage..
No children..
No girlfriend...
I have Money in the bank..
I have a great job..
I have lots of education and experience.
I'm young...???

Should I go on.. ?? or can you maybe just let me know what life is like on a day to day basis there... What major changes should I expect or look forward to.. or look out for..

How come soo many people are putting the idea down.. saying Cabarete is a whore infested dive to live in.. ?? is it really that bad?

partytime

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 29, 2005
You could go west to Sosua, makes Caberette look like Disney Land, or if your French is any good, go east to Samana, the difference of like apples and oranges.
Good luck

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Chad,
Hopefully, a few of the following comments will help you understand the answers you have been getting.
Moving to the DR is similar to moving to another planet.
Most people fail miserably and go home with their tails between their legs, maybe as many as 95%.
That being said, there is little we can say that could truly convey to you what it is like, what you have to go through, and how to succeed.
Some of the best advice given to you so far, has been to just come down, sit down with the expats, and discover.
If you are one of the good guys, you will get the help you need, to save you from the scam artists and from making bad decisions.
Bear in mind that the expats who have lived here for a long time, are a bit tired of giving advice to people who don't listen, and then come back to us, asking us to help them out of a jam.
This can be paradise or hell, it all depends on you and your attitude, and how strong your resolve is, to make it.
I would gladly sit down with you and help you out as much as I can when you get here.
That could be worth more than 50 pages of message board replies.
It just isn't that easy to put into words, even less to write it all out.
Once you are here and have taken a couple of days off to relax, then you can get to work on making your plans, as to how to survive.

partytime

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 29, 2005
If you have not been to the DR before, I would highly suggest that a week vacation might answer alot of your own questions. How can you pick-up and move to a place you've never seen before? Not too smart, kind of like drawing straws or pulling names out of a hat......how do you determine a destination you know nothing about? I would start with a little research, forget the boards.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
partytime said:
If you have not been to the DR before, I would highly suggest that a week vacation might answer alot of your own questions. How can you pick-up and move to a place you've never seen before? Not too smart, kind of like drawing straws or pulling names out of a hat......how do you determine a destination you know nothing about? I would start with a little research, forget the boards.
Perhaps you did not read all of the OP's posts.
He has already made arrangements to tie up all his loose ends in Canada, and is coming, not for a vacation, but to try to make it here and is seeking advice as to how to go about it.
A one week vacation is not an option.
This fellow is coming to give it his best shot.