Moving to Cabarete - PLEASE HELP?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok so tell me your exact plan again I think I miss it along the way. I'm all ears, err eyes. I think it's great what you are trying to do. ;)

cshine73 said:
Nice interpretation..? ... this is childish..

No.. I'm sure you are doing just fine there... and enjoying life there..

Although I'm sure new business and new life to DR can do more
for help them than some people are.. Like say the... semi retired vacationers there.. that don't really do anything.. they are just using them and enjoying life there.. I want to give something back when I stay there.. something that will be in their bennifit.. I'm sorry.. correct me if I'm wrong.. is it still a 3rd world?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Chad,

How about a reply from someone in a very similar situation as yourself? :

First... I think if you go back and read some of the original replies to your initial post, you'll see that there were specific answers to some of your questions, along with some "friendly advice".

I am about to spend a month in Sosua after 6 trips to the DR in the last 3 months, with the long-range goal of living long-term in the DR at least part-time, and opening a couple of businesses...so this is where my "advice" is coming from.

First, seriously, there are probably NO "decent paying" jobs for an IT professional in Cabarete. I have over 15 years experience in the IT field.. I looked. As counter-intuitive as it might seem, the hotels, internet cafes, PC rental companies, etc. do not hire educated professionals - at least at a premium over the 16 year old "techie". One option would be to live in Santiago, or better yet, Santo Domingo, and try to find a US or Canadian based company to work for, but that kind of blows the "surfer/beachbum lifestyle" I think your looking for. Daily life in the DR is truly what you make it, and how well you deal with the trials and tribulations of living in a 3rd world country - I think that's what other people were trying to infer by "you have to live here to know".

As for the living conditions/apartment situation. It was said here a few times, and it IS true. There are virtually NO working 30 something people living in $400+/mo. apartments in Cabarete... unless they own their own business. BTW, don't forget, electricity (over $100.mo. if you use A/C, and internet +/_ $100/mo. are probably NOT included in that $400) Again - it's more likely possible in Santiago, or the Capital (Santo Domingo). The locals really do live 3 or 4 to a room... like they do in NYC!! Where I lived for 7 years... I knew scores of Investment Bankers, 1st year Law Associates, etc, with 2 or 3 roomates - in a 1BR or Studio apartment...

All the other things you are looking to do, can be done. You can live a beautiful, laid back life...teach the children...research the implementation of hydro/wind/solar power...build houses for the poor, feed the homeless...but honestly, you will get VERY little...or more likely NO pay to do it.

Before making the decision to even spend the month in the DR, I took, as I said, several trips from SD all the way east to La Romana, and north, through Santiago, to Puerto Plata, Cabarete anbd Sosua...and I settled on Sosua... for me...and for "now". I plan on checking out as much of the country as possible...

But also, before my very first trip (well my VERY first trip was, like you, to Punta Cana... several years ago)... I read over half a dozen guide books and books on the history, geography, politics, culture,and economy of the DR. I started taking spanish lessons, I surfed every website on the DR I could find (and still do). and started posting on this, and a few other boards. The help Ive received through forums like this has been invaluable in helping me make the decision I have made.

So... sorry to bore those bored with this topic, but Chad, I honestly hope this helps.

Last edited: