Moving to Cabarete - PLEASE HELP?

amigoted

RD$35 and a Ham Sandwich!
Nov 12, 2003
Hi Chad,
I just read this whole thread from beginning to end!
1) There is no QUICK SOLUTION to living here!
2)There will be no job that will cover YOUR expected life style and provide savings as well!
3)Most people that move here have been coming here for years and already have a good idea about life here!(and speak a little SPANISH)
4) A holiday in an all inclusive resort is not a good example of the expats life here!
5)you perceive a lot of the responses on this board as negative, if we(who live here) tried to tell you all the do's and don'ts of this country you would truly have a negative outlook! Living here is so DIFFERENT than living in Canada (I'm Canadian) that it is beyond mere words! (you have to live it to understand it)
6) the best advice you have been given is to come down here and see if you have what it takes to live here!
7) I can't tell you what it takes yo live here! No-one else can either! We're all different but each of us has something in our psychy that permits us to stay here!
I've lived here for 12 years now! I'm not RICH and I know I'm not going to get Rich here! I live a Rich life here because I make it that way! If your as good at things as you say you are I'm sure you can make it here too!
People who have lived here a long time have seen many others come here and fail because they thought things here are the same as they are at home!(THEY ARE NOT!!) You must see this for yourself we cannot easily explain it!
Good luck!
Ted

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Hey buddy, yo talkin to me

billyidol said:
hi mate
ignore this clown, quite a few people on this site (but not all) consider this site to be theirs and seemingly choose to speak to newbys as they see fit. You are right to take offense!

Ignore these idiots
I think he overstayed his welcome very quickly as evidenced by many replies (see carina's last post. Read her blog - she has the patience of Job :))

Since you have all the answers, may I suggest that you invite him to stay with you then you can be his mentor, mate.:rambo:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
shadInToronto said:
I think he overstayed his welcome very quickly as evidenced by many replies (see carina's last post. Read her blog - she has the patience of Job :))

Since you have all the answers, may I suggest that you invite him to stay with you then you can be his mentor, mate.:rambo:

ShadInToronto, I agree.
I live here, I am not a newbie, this is my home now with all that comes with it..i.e work, friends, school & activities for my kid, everyday life issues etc etc.
I have lived here for several years, and know most of the good and bad, although I still learn and will probably still be learning 50 years from now if I am still here, walking the ground.
But the thing is, when you talk about coming here, and you tell people about it, the costs, the reality, unemployment, moneyissues... people don´t want to hear it, so they get upset.
If I would have, among the others, painted a dreampicture instead, the OP would have loved us.
Many postings here contains alots of information about the reality, and none is obviously useful to the OP, as it isn´t what he wanted.
That is just the way it is.

hi mate
ignore this clown, quite a few people on this site (but not all) consider this site to be theirs and seemingly choose to speak to newbys as they see fit. You are right to take offense!

Many in my experience simply want to know what your doing / where your from and what toilet paper you use (ie they're trying to mind YOUR business! )Ignore these idiots, and then draw from the people that genuinely wish to help you on this site.

Further, many on this site say 'dont rush in'......My response is to hell with that! If you have money to splash around you will absolutely be able to survive in the DR.....What these people forget is that hundreds of thousands of people travel the world constantly, going from country to country with a come - what - may attitude.........AND do it successfully.

i know loads of people now in the DR, some of which are broke - assed. Living in the DR whilst being broke - assed offers a whole different life experience (as they're used to watching their $$$$'s) to the young and wealthy (like you and yours truly) Mate, if youve got money to burn go for it.
The natural beauty of the country is outstanding and the women are seriously beautiful. I actually live near cabarete and have no regrets...none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
go for it man!

BillyIdol suggested he should waste is savings on girls and having fun... and he has the nerve to call us idiots. The OP asked for living, work, making money... not to go around the world and live for the day, and not to how to spend savings.
But BillyIdol cannot read or chosed to ignore that.

Last edited:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Billy can't comprehend what he reads

carina said:
BillyIdol suggested he should waste is savings on girls and having fun... and he has the nerve to call us idiots. The OP asked for living, work, making money... not to go around the world and live for the day, and not to how to spend savings.
But BillyIdol cannot read or chosed to ignore that.
His response shows he's just 'bumming around' and is not serious about making a living like yourself and the other DR residents who responded. Instead of BillyIdol, perhaps he should have chosen BillyGo@t or BillyIdi@t.:laugh:

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
About time someone Listened..

Yuppers... finally.. someone understands and actually read my original question... Thanks for speakin up and standing up for me..

I was nice to you all.. I have High hopes and dreams to have a decent life in DR making an honest living...and making some good friends. I just wanted to be happy. and afford a place to live... a car or moped (whatever is best) a boat or sea doo..for some fun..

My educational background and my knowledge and experience I have gained over the years of training for various professions I have been in... offers me an opportunity to change my life.. and maybe enjoy one in DR.. and give something back to the people there.

I only asked you people to let me in on what it is like in DR.. I have been there a couple times.. I looked into it.. I enjoyed myself there.. unfortunetally.. both times.. I was with family and friends. and couldn't get off the resort enough to really take it in..

I have a very good downpayment for a second home saved up.. I was considering getting a place in DR.. Oppening a business.. A company that everyone in DR (locals and tourists) would bennifit from and something that would be lucrative, stable and employ locals.

I don't know how long I wanted to stay.. Maybe 6 months.. then fly back and forth?. maybe 6 years...?? that I would figure out later.. but.. I certainly didn't want to come down and party my savings away living there for 3-6 months being a rich tourist that you people in this forumn love to hate.. That is not what I wanted to do.. I didn't suggest anything like it... And most of you acted and treated me like I was.. You keep telling me to READ these forums... haha.. Maybe you should actually read them instead of jumping all over people on here.. geesh.. read through the archives... how long have some of you been complaining on here for?? Time to start investing your time other ways.. maybe you would have a better experience there? but.. at any rate.. cool wake up call 4 u eh.. Need we even say it... mabye time to take your own advice.... hehehe.. READ the posts in the forum and talk to people on the forum before you attack them.. haha..

I only asked for you people to tell me what it's going to be like down there
for a single guy to live and enjoy life.. economy/getting a job/malls/stores/groceries/shopping..make friends... play some tennis.. shoot some hoops..go golfing.. go for a run.. surf.. pubs, clubs, fishing ?? etc etc.. I wanted to hear it first hand from some of you.. not read old posts and old crap from the previous people you dumped on..

It's unfortunate.. people on this forum , people living and loving the DR.. of all people..). help defer those of us that are turely interested in making DR a better place ... You make us feel that it isn't a place we should even remotely bother investing any time or money in..

your cups seen half empty folks.. you enjoy wasting too much time complainin on this forum.. I figured living in DR you would maybe try to get some more positive in your lives ?? getting out and have a rum and play some domino's with the locals?

Thanks for your posts..
And thank you (all you supporters) for all your private posts and positive words and feedback..

Chad

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
cshine73 said:
It's unfortunate.. people on this forum , people living and loving the DR.. of all people..). help defer those of us that are turely interested in making DR a better place ... You make us feel that it isn't a place we should even remotely bother investing any time or money in..

For a moment, I thought you had something there... until I came to this paragraph. This is the fine line that you don't understand yet. You cannot make the DR a 'better place'. You cannot try and impose your values on another country -- in the DR specifically, you'll not succeed. You can only make you a better person. First, you have to accept what is there.. then, you have to understand it and then, and only then, you can do something...

And I disagree with your statement... "You make us feel that it isn't a place we should even remotely bother investing any time or money in"... What came through consistently in this thread, is that the DR is not for everyone.. and you should make sure it is for you, otherwise you'll be really unhappy.

As to giving you a feel of how it is to eg., shop in a DR supermercado.. no-one here can do it adequately. Therefore the good advice to spend some time down here, make sure it is for you, and then, and only then decide on whether to come here or not.

Most of us on this board are really very happy with the changes that we made coming to live here. Some of the folks that are regular contributors, decided to go home after a trial period. But none of us are unaware of what it takes to live here. Personally, it took us many visits, a year in test mode with the full ability to back out if we wanted to, another year of really learning, and now we are settled.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chris said:
You cannot try and impose your values on another country -- in the DR specifically, you'll not succeed. You can only make you a better person. First, you have to accept what is there.. then, you have to understand it and then, and only then, you can do something...
These words capture the true essence of the matter at hand.
There is no better way to desribe it.

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Making DR a better Place

Ok.. I don't understand.. ??
You cannot make DR a better place?? Bringing money, economy, business, jobs, pure filtered water... Hydro generation...?? People live in poverty you say??? You suggesting people like this.. people don't want that to change?? SHAKE YOUR HEADS!!!!

What are you smoking people??

If DR had ways to generate hydro.. aside from gas generators..
If DR had local purified safe clean water..
If a company opened in DR.. that employed 200 locals.. gave them a decent job with decent salary...
If less people in DR were to live in poverty..

HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE SAY THAT DR CAN NOT IMPOVE AND BE A BETTER PLACE.....

YOU PEOPLE AMAZE ME..

AND THAT IS WHY DR IS IN THE POSITON THEY ARE IN.. CUZ OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT DON'T WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.. YOU DON'T WANT TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE AROUND YOU OR IN THE DR.. TAKE SOME INITIATIVE..

I GUARANTEE YOU... LIFE IN THE DR COULD BE BETTER.. AND I GUARANTEE YOU.... "YOU" COULD PROBABLY LIST 200 WAYS THE DR COULD BE BETTER..

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Just go there and do it man

cshine73 said:
Ok.. I don't understand.. ??
What are you smoking people??
If DR had ways to generate hydro.. aside from gas generators..
If DR had local purified safe clean water..
If a company opened in DR.. that employed 200 locals.. gave them a decent job with decent salary...
If less people in DR were to live in poverty..
HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE SAY THAT DR CAN NOT IMPOVE AND BE A BETTER PLACE.....
YOU PEOPLE AMAZE ME..
AND THAT IS WHY DR IS IN THE POSITON THEY ARE IN.. CUZ OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT DON'T WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.. YOU DON'T WANT TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE AROUND YOU OR IN THE DR.. TAKE SOME INITIATIVE..
I GUARANTEE YOU... LIFE IN THE DR COULD BE BETTER.. AND I GUARANTEE YOU.... "YOU" COULD PROBABLY LIST 200 WAYS THE DR COULD BE BETTER..
Get off your pulpit and stop shouting .... you can't preach to the converted - most replies indicated that people there are trying to do things as they see fit. As you've been told, go there and do what you gotta do ... enough talking from you, time for action :rambo:

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Values

You people still have no idea of who I am.. or what I'm about.. and my intentions.. You should go back and READ the posts in here... haha.. Some of you are going to eat those words for a very long time!!!

I have values.. I sure do.. Great ones..

I have ideas.. sure do.. great ones... I am on this planet to make a difference.. and to help people... And I will.. I will even help you people on here dishin out the smack to me....

I never said I wanted to change DR.. or Change their values... beliefs.. or their culture....

I don't think that polluted water is a culture thing for them..
I don't think that insufficient hydro is a culture thing for them..
I don't think that employment and poverty is a culture thing for them..
I don't think that education is a culture thing for them..

You guys once again.. should take your own advice.... READ the posts...
and really try to get a feel for what people are saying and asking on here, and their intentions..

If you really want to "HELP" but are are confused.. then ask some questions that will assist you in understanding someone's intensions then you can actually help them......

I'm sure it will spin your head around to learn how ass backwards you are in some of your replies and assumptions.. what you read. and how you interpret things. .and how you reacted... Some of you.. and I'm sure you know who you are... Really should find a better way of spending your time.. because sharing your experiences in DR and helping others learn what their life is going to be like in DR.... I assure you.. is not your forte.. he he.. Mabye get a job.. Chip in a little.. Get up off your butts and make a difference!!!! I challenge you!!

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I don't care and so do many others

cshine73 said:
You people still have no idea of who I am.. or what I'm about.. and my intentions.. You should go back and READ the posts in here... haha.. Some of you are going to eat those words for a very long time!!!

I have values.. I sure do.. Great ones..

I have ideas.. sure do.. great ones... I am on this planet to make a difference.. and to help people... And I will.. I will even help you people on here dishin out the smack to me....
Looking for attention in all the wrong places ... maybe try dancing on the QEW or 401 :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I say stop posting and just do it. They used to think the world was flat but one crazy person went out to look even if it meant falling off the edge of the earth.
:classic:

Last edited:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
You mean it isn't

Anna Coniglio said:
I say stop posting and just do it. They used to think the world was flat but one crazy person went out to look even if it meant falling off the edge of the earth.
:classic:
When did all this happen? ... that explains my 'a$$ backwards' thinking :confused: :confused: :confused:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ok.. let this be a fair notice to my fellow posters... I give up! Never ever quote on me on this one.. ;)

Shoeshine73, feel free to come down here.. teach us all how to clean our water, create a lot of employment, fix the education while you're about it and then you can say to all of us that you told us so. You were the first to really create change, in fact, without you, we cannot possibly survive one more moment here in the DR. You simply have to come and rescue this dumb lot of expats and more than that, the poor Dominican people await your changes..

We'll all watch you in awe.. we'll hold our breath to marvel at all the wonderful changes you are going to spearhead. Like I said before, just come and do it now. I cannot wait, imagine all the changes in our future.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Christa
you have a grown child and grandchild don't you know that when you say "NO YOU CAN'T" they want to prove you wrong and when you finally say ok just do it, that's when they stop fighting and start thinking. ;)

Everyone needs to learn in their own way and time.:cross-eye

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Christa
you have a grown child and grandchild don't you know that when you say "NO YOU CAN'T" they want to prove you wrong and when you finally say ok just do it, that's when they stop fighting and start thinking. ;)

Everyone needs to learn in their own way and time.:cross-eye

That's why I give up and give over... I agree with you Anna.. I'm off to learn my own lessons now :ermm:

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Cute..

Nice interpretation..? ... this is childish..

No.. I'm sure you are doing just fine there... and enjoying life there..

Although I'm sure new business and new life to DR can do more
for help them than some people are.. Like say the... semi retired vacationers there.. that don't really do anything.. they are just using them and enjoying life there.. I want to give something back when I stay there.. something that will be in their bennifit.. I'm sorry.. correct me if I'm wrong.. is it still a 3rd world?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
cshine73 said:
Although I'm sure new business and new life to DR can do more for help them than some people are.. Like say the... semi retired vacationers there.. that don't really do anything.. they are just using them and enjoying life there.. I want to give something back when I stay there.. something that will be in their bennifit.. I'm sorry.. correct me if I'm wrong.. is it still a 3rd world?
Unless you're a billionaire and just want to give it away, the main project for you, will just be to survive.
If you do and are one of the good guys and become a positive part of the community, you will already have done more than most.
95% of the newbies who come here with plans & money, leave here bankrupt, with their tails between their legs, in 6 months.
We will assist you as much as we can, to go through the growing pains, and try to help you avoid getting scammed, assuming, like I said, you are one of the good guys and that you heed the advice given.
Nobody wants to get a person out of a jam, when that person asked for advice, didn't listen, went ahead and made the very mistakes he was warned about, gets in trouble then comes looking for our help to get out of it.
I'm not suggesting that you are that type of person.
Simply trying to give you the heads up of what to expect when you get here.
Regards, Marco.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tamborista said:
Why do you keep responding if you hate everyone on this board?

I'm also really wondering about this.. I have some suspicions. Perhaps, just maybe, it is an old 'friend' that is trying to prove their 'love and affection' to the DR1 crowd.. But then again, I may be wrong.