Musicians who are not legal residents getting paid for gigs in the DR - is that legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Wow did I just read 80 posts well there goes 7 minutes of my life. I know someone who went through about 10 red lights last night. Then drove the wrong way on a couple of one way streets, all while drinking a Jumbo is that legal here in the DR. Asking for a friend. 😉
Yeah it's kind of like the Seinfeld show - it's about nothing !

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
And there is zero wrong with that if they didn't get paid and just played for the joy of it. I completely understand the joy of playing music.
But, If they do get paid, we have come to the almost certain conclusion that illegal aliens, or even those within the first 30 days of a tourist card when they are still legally in the DR, cannot get paid legally for gigs, The amount they get paid is irrelevant.

Many, including myself, think that it is unlikely anything will be done regarding these wandering minstrels, Just because they "get away with it" it does not mean
it is correct, no matter how much they "network" and "enjoy" the fun of it. Believe it or not, there are musicians who can legally work in the DR that do rely upon gig money to make ends meet, and they are undercut by those who are not legal to work.

I play because I enjoy music, but I will not do it for free unless it is for a charity event. We used to play for the dog charity, but they no longer have their festival for some reason.

bravo on you for supporting the dogs.

But do you want to stop the banana selling Haitian ladies from making their rounds too for making 400 pesos a day ? Because surely they aren't legal.
Yeah I know it isn't the same but there are so much bigger fish to fry.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
it's a massive jump from a production at Hard Rock or an auditorium in Santo Domingo to a 17-seat bar in Cabarete with two kids sitting outside offering shoeshines or flip-flop cleaning. Is Alan Dershowitz a member here?
Perhaps so but OP didn't specify in the 4 corners of his post the size of the venue and wether or not that made a difference to him. Perhaps when he pays the hourly rate to a lawyer of his choice he might include that detail for them to review.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Not to me.
So tell us why you started this thread.
If you can stop every minstrel or band member that comes in from Canada with a guitar and a harmonica for a few months how will it improve your life ?
Give us the details of how you are harmed, then this long and boring discussion may male sense

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So tell us why you started this thread.
If you can stop every minstrel or band member that comes in from Canada with a guitar and a harmonica for a few months how will it improve your life ?
Give us the details of how you are harmed, then this long and boring discussion may male sense
I have my reasons which I will keep to myself.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't take my statement personally. You're very quick to defend. That says enough for me mi amigo. :cool:
I am glad you (think) you know what others think. I wish I had that power. I am not defending myself. You misunderstand my responses completely. I just pointed out the irrelevance of such comments with something that is on topic. Perhaps that is what you are missing.

So many useless comments here from people who allegedly don't care about the legal answer from DR1's legal team. Because nothing every changes, laws are not enforced, etc etc, etc... I do care and want a response even if I am already quite certain of the answer.

And a few good comments like the one from Bob Saunders about other permits performers can get that don't apply in the OP
but are interesting to know about, And the comment that calling the legal team here will not provide an answer, but they will respond to my post in due time. ,

Now for one minor situation that caused me to ask the question in the OP that I will mention:

What would you think people like this are thinking? Do they face any potential risk? They have their only domicile in the DR, owning two condos on the beach in Cabarete worth over a million US dollars and live here full time for many years except for when they take the occasional trip out of the DR for a week or two at a time. They enter on a tourist card with no legal standing in the country after 30 days past each entry. They drive here on licenses from the USA that are valid for 30 days after each entry and have local insurance. One of them plays gigs that pay frequently. When I asked why they don't become legal residents, I was told " It is none of my business". I had previously mentioned that in their situation it might be wise to be legal. I was attempting to be helpful, but obviously they didn't want to hear it.

Many would say they face no risk at all just living full time, driving and playing music for money in the DR without legal standing. After all nobody cares about people that overstay tourist cards, drive around and work. And obviously these people don't care enough to be legal. There could be a reason they cannot get legal residency. I don't know, I cannot read minds like you can.

By the way, the above is not my main reason for posting the question. That I will keep to myself. For now.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am glad you (think) you know what others think. I wish I had that power. I am not defending myself. You misunderstand my responses completely. I just pointed out the irrelevance of such comments with something that is on topic. Perhaps that is what you are missing.

So many useless comments here from people who allegedly don't care about the legal answer from DR1's legal team. Because nothing every changes, laws are not enforced, etc etc, etc... I do care and want a response even if I am already quite certain of the answer.

And a few good comments like the one from Bob Saunders about other permits performers can get that don't apply in the OP
but are interesting to know about, And the comment that calling the legal team here will not provide an answer, but they will respond to my post in due time. ,

Now for one minor situation that caused me to ask the question in the OP that I will mention:

What would you think people like this are thinking? Do they face any potential risk? They have their only domicile in the DR, owning two condos on the beach in Cabarete worth over a million US dollars and live here full time for many years except for when they take the occasional trip out of the DR for a week or two at a time. They enter on a tourist card with no legal standing in the country after 30 days past each entry. They drive here on licenses from the USA that are valid for 30 days after each entry and have local insurance. One of them plays gigs that pay frequently. When I asked why they don't become legal residents, I was told " It is none of my business". I had previously mentioned that in their situation it might be wise to be legal. I was attempting to be helpful, but obviously they didn't want to hear it.

Many would say they face no risk at all just living full time, driving and playing music for money in the DR without legal standing. After all nobody cares about people that overstay tourist cards, drive around and work. And obviously these people don't care enough to be legal. There could be a reason they cannot get legal residency. I don't know, I cannot read minds like you can.

By the way, the above is not my main reason for posting the question. That I will keep to myself. For now.
Sounds like you are looking for trouble. And you just may get it nosing around like you are..........

Big

Apr 24, 2019
One Man Band Stock Photo - Download Image Now - One-Man Band, Acoustic  Guitar, Artist

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds like you are looking for trouble. And you just may get it nosing around like you are..........
Indeed, but thanks for the irrelevant comment nonetheless.

I did mention that the reason I already mentioned is not my main reason.
Those people are obviously ignorant of the risks they take.

Nobody knows the main reasons but me.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Honesty, I don't like your style. (Of course you will come back in a few minutes and state, "I don't care that you...") that's how you respond to most of your discussion. Now back to this subject.If this subject is of great importance to you (doesn't matter if I or others don't see it that way) why come to a public forum board of OPINIONS and then proceed to knock down the OPINIONS that YOU asked for? How do you have your contrary opinions when YOU are the one that asked the question? Put your money where your mouth is and go to a lawyer. Oh, I almost forgot over the years you have stated you don't use lawyers and EVERY lawyer in he DR is a crook. Did you change your tune now that you think you might get some satisfaction for free? No, I don't like your style.
I'm suspicious of people that are fervent about following laws especially in a vocal sort of way as you do. Especially, when they can't see how a law can be interpeted more than one way. BTW that's the reason we have a supreme court in most democratic countries. You see, most laws can be interpeted a number of ways so you OP asking for a B&W answer is a non-starter. Foe me at least. What would make it a non-starter?
A half dozen reasons I can think of and perhaps when you pay a lawyer he will share that with you?
Sorry for this long post but it seems we need to reach 100 posts to satisfy you.
Nope, I repeat. I don't like your style.Have a pleasant day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Honesty, I don't like your style. (Of course you will come back in a few minutes and state, "I don't care that you...") that's how you respond to most of your discussion. Now back to this subject.If this subject is of great importance to you (doesn't matter if I or others don't see it that way) why come to a public forum board of OPINIONS and then proceed to knock down the OPINIONS that YOU asked for? How do you have your contrary opinions when YOU are the one that asked the question? Put your money where your mouth is and go to a lawyer. Oh, I almost forgot over the years you have stated you don't use lawyers and EVERY lawyer in he DR is a crook. Did you change your tune now that you think you might get some satisfaction for free? No, I don't like your style.
I'm suspicious of people that are fervent about following laws especially in a vocal sort of way as you do. Especially, when they can't see how a law can be interpeted more than one way. BTW that's the reason we have a supreme court in most democratic countries. You see, most laws can be interpeted a number of ways so you OP asking for a B&W answer is a non-starter. Foe me at least. What would make it a non-starter?
A half dozen reasons I can think of and perhaps when you pay a lawyer he will share that with you?
Sorry for this long post but it seems we need to reach 100 posts to satisfy you.
Nope, I repeat. I don't like your style.Have a pleasant day.
I posted on the legal forum for a legal opinion. Not the nonsense like yours and others are posting.
Talk about not liking a style, why bother to comment such drivel? I spent considerable time and effort to be legal in the DR and eventually
obtained citizenship. Hint to the mind reader you are: That is another reason for my OP.

I am aware of many scofflaws on this forum that enjoy the thrill of what they can get away with in the DR.

I asked for a legal opinion, hopefully pointing to the actual laws that apply in this situation, because it is the only option I have to make a point.
Someone working in the DR with no work permit nor legal residency has a clear cut legal answer in this situation.

Your post is perhaps one of the "least satisfying and irrelevant" in this thread. But that is just my opinion.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
bravo on you for supporting the dogs.

But do you want to stop the banana selling Haitian ladies from making their rounds too for making 400 pesos a day ? Because surely they aren't legal.
Yeah I know it isn't the same but there are so much bigger fish to fry.
They already get rounded up from time to time by Migracion when they do their job to deport illegals.
Do I want Migaracion to deport illegals? All illegals? ABSOLUTELY YES! The same applies in my other country where I am a citizen.

I asked my question because it is important for me to get a legal answer.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The question here is how on earth the OP knows the status of fellow musicians ?
I can say I have or do not have residency, I can say I am a citizen or not . None of my statements makes it true--- or not.

Reminds me of a saying from back home : il aurait vendu du beurre aux allemands.

Status
Not open for further replies.