Name that town.................

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
If a picture is blank, right click and pick "show picture", that may help temporarily.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No idea what you guys have for quals., but should I meet up with you AND have the plane (I sort of "borrow" it from friends company,) I will give you some right seat(PIC if you can check out) time for a chance to play with that Thorp

When I eventually make the big move, I hope to have my 1944 Storch completed, you would love that for pictures. Some pilots swear it can fly backward its stall speed is so low , about 15mph with kit
Maybe you can work something out with "the Tigerman".

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/4hWP7_ubmds&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

B

BettyDiamond

something new to try - dangerous sports

ex1_w.jpg

Reactions: Tamborista

Tiger18

Mar 28, 2009
No idea what you guys have for quals., but should I meet up with you AND have the plane (I sort of "borrow" it from friends company,) I will give you some right seat(PIC if you can check out) time for a chance to play with that Thorp

When I eventually make the big move, I hope to have my 1944 Storch completed, you would love that for pictures. Some pilots swear it can fly backward its stall speed is so low , about 15mph with kit

Sounds more like a copter than a plane.... The top speed of a Storch is about the stall of the Thorp... Maybe add some squierrel aerodanamics to it may help..:cheeky:

Flying-Squirrel.jpg

This also has been applied to other fast flying devices...

squirrel1.jpg

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This also has been applied to other fast flying devices...

squirrel1.jpg
Welcome to DRI, Tigerman.
Here's a short clip of buzzing your buddy at the shrimp farm.

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/K8E1RgMVRu0&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sounds more like a copter than a plane.... The top speed of a Storch is about the stall of the Thorp... Maybe add some squierrel aerodanamics to it may help..:cheeky:

Dem's fightin' words, Tiger. Also very funny. But..........they CAN land on a sixpence. For those who don't know this is what a Storch looks like
Pirep: Fieseler Storch

My ex ( now deceased) was involved with the Thruxton Jackaroo. No rude comments please :cheeky: :).

Tiger18

Mar 28, 2009
I my 30 years as a pilot there are 2 time where I had wished I could have landed vertically with a plane... (crashed and walked away) Just like the squirrel :squareeye

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I my 30 years as a pilot there are 2 time where I had wished I could have landed vertically with a plane... (crashed and walked away) Just like the squirrel :squareeye

Have you flown the Cirrus with the recovery parachute? I'd like one of those when I grow up! Good for cross country here I would imagine as dem mountains don't look too friendly with only one squirrel.

I'm saving up to go to MIA and have a go at my twin squirrel rating. There's an old Aztec that's grown roots on the ramp at POP. I fancy a challenge if I could get it airworthy again!

Tiger18

Mar 28, 2009
Have you flown the Cirrus with the recovery parachute? I'd like one of those when I grow up! Good for cross country here I would imagine as dem mountains don't look too friendly with only one squirrel.

I'm saving up to go to MIA and have a go at my twin squirrel rating. There's an old Aztec that's grown roots on the ramp at POP. I fancy a challenge if I could get it airworthy again!

I've not flown a Cirrus, but at that price... It's better to buy a Learjet... Faster and a good used is prob. cheaper...

I think the Cirrus is over priced. But it is a nice plane.

As far as engines are concerned: The statistics shows that there are no differences in the accident rates due to engine failure for a single engine or a twin.

The twin is more complex and more things can go wrong more often.

Anyway, I do feel better in a twin than a single over the ocean, but in reality, I know the risk is the same.:cheeky:

And that many twins can't sustain flight on one engine when at gross weight. (AZTEC included)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There's an old Aztec that's grown roots on the ramp at POP. I fancy a challenge if I could get it airworthy again!
If we get a chance to meet one day (or do we already know each other?) I'll tell you the story about crashing in that Aztec. (It is repaired now)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Completely agree with you Tiger. Most twins will extend you to the sight of the crash on one engine.

Although I've heard that the early Aztecs had reasonable single engine performance especially those with the two bladed probs. Although you can't feather them, the drag caused by the stationary one isn't that significant.

I have no experience as PIC on a twin, I'm only citing what a few of my colleagues who are professional ATPL have told me. I'm an aircraft engineer for the big ETOPS jets that come here. But I also have PPL and a 152 ace as someone else has already called me on these forums! Actually it was a 150 Reims Rocket.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Now then, I've been giving the squirrel powered engine a bit of thought, and I think I've come up with the solution.

Not just for powering a Thorpe, but the entire world. This, ladies and gentlemen of DR1 is the first published discovery of the holy grail of energy. Perpetual motion.

It is a common fact due to the laws of nature, that if you drop a cat it will always land on it's feet. This is due to it's articulated tail. A squirrel also has an articulated tail, so one would assume that it has the same traits as the feline. As I was unable to obtain a squirrel for the controlled test, I went to the ferreteria and bought a ferret (obviously, where else would you buy a ferret?)

I dropped said ferret from a height of two feet and sure enough it landed on it's feet. Then it ran away.

Now let's refer to the law of sod. Which states that if you drop a slice of buttered toast, it will always land buttered side down. The control test of toasted Pan del Norte and Flora was a success. Every one buttered side down.

Tomorrow I am going to the really big ferreteria in Santiago called Ochoa. There you can buy everything you need to build almost anything to do with ferrets. I plan to design and build a harness that will secure the buttered slice of toast to the back of a ferret.

Then by dropping them both secured together, it will initiate a self perpetuating revolution with the opposite forces of nature and sod.

I know that some of you are thinking why didn't I butter both sides of the toast? Well that's just silly isn't it?

:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As I was unable to obtain a squirrel for the controlled test, I went to the ferreteria and bought a ferret
ARSES (American Rotary Squirrel Energy Syndicate) vehemently objects to the use of ferrets in these experiments. They are nothing more than lazy bushy tailed rats with bad attitudes and a voracious appetite for chicken, while us squirrels are well known for storing up energy producing fuel for tougher times and we never eat meat. Meat is responsible for putrid flatulation from ferret's arses (not to be confused with ARSES) and although they claim that the methane produced is also a good source of energy, the actual cubic volume of their farts is so minuscule that it requires more energy to collect said farts, than the farts themselves can produce.

Mar 2, 2008
Rocket J. Squirrel released the following statement:

"Ferret frenzy is fizzling fast. Further, ferret farts fester, frequently forming fungi, often forcing fumigation. Fundamentally, ferret fecal functions facilitate fascism and infanticide. Frankly, facing fierce and fervent feral ferret formations is frightening, and ferments furious and fractious fighting. Fortunately, squirrels favor fornication."

Live and let live???? I don't think so.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Agreed that ferrets are not ideal, but can be substituted for my prototype.

Squirrels are very hard to get hold of. Especially unemployed ones. The ones from Britain are gainfully employed in promoting road safety to children.

I'm sure that the Tufty Club Tufty the road safety RoSPA squirrel would have something to say about ARSES.

TC257.JPG

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm sure that the Tufty Club Tufty the road safety RoSPA squirrel would have something to say about ARSES.

TC257.JPG
That just proves the point that Squirrels are useful members of society. While squirrels are out there trying to save kids from road accidents, the ferrets are causing them by running across the road at the most inconvenient of times. If you insist on using ferrets for your energy experimentation programs, ARSES will be forced to action against you in a way that only ARSES can, so you'd better be watching your arses.