New measures in response to diverting of river waters at the border with Haiti

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But wait! There's more!!

F51dGdiWoAAoKoZ
Life during wartime. Accidents can happen, it's only hit and run..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's a ton of money. So the temptation is great and similar to the process of selling drugs.
Indeed.
However there's an easy fix. It's called jail time. Oh, the nay sayers here will attack this post in a NY minute. Lo se. However those very nay sayers are not in the shoes of a policeman that is seconds away from losing his job, his family and doing 5 years in the slammer. It happens hundreds of time a week in all parts of a civilized society. All Luis needs are the first 6 guys caught on camera and a public outcry. Then it's game over for a while until a bunch a new guys come in .
That could make a small difference in the DR. Perhaps they will try it . Or have they already not done that before?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Indeed.

That could make a small difference in the DR. Perhaps they will try it . Or have they already not done that before?
I have no idea but as said before , there has been no oversight to enforcement prior to Luis. At least, that's the way it looks to me. AND, I have no say in the matter as I am a vistor and observer.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If they get serious about controlling illegals they need to start deporting the ones they catch in violation of the traffic laws. I see a catch and release of both men and motorcycles of illegals, here in my neighborhood and elsewhere. Sure they pay a fine, I think it's 5,000 now but then they are released and their moto returned.
Two weeks ago there was a high speed pursuit by the police of a moto with a Dominican motoconcho and two illegal Haitian workers behind him. They nearly crashed in front of my home but they finally stopped in front of the house up the hill of the man who is illegally hiring the two Haitians. They arrested the Dominican driver, released the Haitians, and seized the moto.
Two days ago I saw the motoconcho back with his moto at the same place he was arrested and talking to the two Haitians (maybe looking for help with his fines ?)

• Wow
Reactions: cavok and windeguy

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If they get serious about controlling illegals they need to start deporting the ones they catch in violation of the traffic laws. I see a catch and release of both men and motorcycles of illegals, here in my neighborhood and elsewhere. Sure they pay a fine, I think it's 5,000 now but then they are released and their moto returned.
Two weeks ago there was a high speed pursuit by the police of a moto with a Dominican motoconcho and two illegal Haitian workers behind him. They nearly crashed in front of my home but they finally stopped in front of the house up the hill of the man who is illegally hiring the two Haitians. They arrested the Dominican driver, released the Haitians, and seized the moto.
Two days ago I saw the motoconcho back with his moto at the same place he was arrested and talking to the two Haitians (maybe looking for help with his fines ?)
Are the illegals in violation of the traffic laws and in violation of a valid visa? If so, they should be sitting on GO at that very moment. GO as in immigration truck. Porque no??

Reactions: windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Are the illegals in violation of the traffic laws and in violation of a valid visa? If so, they should be sitting on GO at that very moment. GO as in immigration truck. Porque no??
I know for certain they don't have a visa. I can only guess that their employer paid off the police to release them. They may have only been interested in the motoconcho for no helmet or refusing to stop?

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know for certain they don't have a visa. I can only guess that their employer paid off the police to release them. They may have only been interested in the motoconcho for no helmet or refusing to stop?
One arm of the law not working with another. Oh well, it is the DR where a couple thousand pesos can make all the difference.

Now, take me to the river.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
I understand the rights of the DR to act unilaterally as the river passes through the country. I don't understand the rights of the two countries after the river becomes the border. Both can divert water? Neither an divert water? Are there currently diversions from past agreements? I'm trying to get up to speed on the background of the standoff. Farmer

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
That's being done by the heads of the Sindicatos in support of the president.
Back in the day it was hard for them to ride a carro público un Santiago.
Other passengers would complain ...

JJ

Last edited by a moderator:

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I just had a comment deleted for seemingly being negative towards Haitians.

Actually, I was doing the opposite... Is was opposing the comment by bachata that I referenced that I saw as speaking negatively about Haitians.

My wife is Haitian... I don't make fun of Haitians. I'm actually thinking of moving to the DR to work with Haitians.

The other comment about Haitians smelling was, in my view, very off-color and I tried to highlight that in a way that said even if people smelled — and all people can have body odor — it should not stop buses from carrying them. But perhaps I read something into bachata's comment that he didn't mean to communicate. If so, then my apologies.

And perhaps also, my responding comment wasn't as clear as I would have liked it to be. Public transportation is for the public... No matter their body odor.

I hope that all off-color comments about Haitians on these forum boards will be dealt with accordingly.

Thanks.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This is horrible. It is not the Haitians' fault that 9 people are ignoring a treaty. This has the potential of fostering violence against Haitians. It's totally ignorant.
Yes they need to get around and it is DR's interest they have free movement that they pay for. Heck they may decide to go back to their family in Haiti and have no means to get there.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The decision to ban all Haitians from public transportation is dumbest thing ever.
Because how else will their Dominican employers get shit done if the workers can't commute and stop showing up? Who will be doing the nitty gritty work that Dominicans refuse to do?
Certainly not the Venezuelans

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
forget the river water.....all Haiti needs to do is exactly what its doing... flood this country with Haitians...........