New measures in response to diverting of river waters at the border with Haiti

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
The National Security Council on Monday, 11 September 2023 decided on these measures to deal with the situation of Haitians building a canal affecting the course of the waters of Masacre River.

The National Security Council measures:permanently suspend the entry of all those involved in the conflict and stop the issuance of visas to Haitian citizens until further notice.

Maintain the total closure of the border through Dajabón and, if the conflict is not resolved by Thursday, 14 September 2023, the Dominican government would completely close the border for land, sea and air trade. At present only the northern gates are closed.

Reactivate a short term measure at La Vigia canal to guarantee water supply to Dominican farm producers.

Start constructing the Don Miguel dam project as a definitive long-term solution. The design of this work began last year and it is estimated that construction will take about 30 months, with an approximate cost of 2.7 billion pesos. Bidding...

Continue reading...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Too bad the lack of a Haitian government creates a situation where private developers can divert a river.
Who really suffers are Haitians who need visas or stamps or if a loved one is sick or dies are unable to return to pay respects.
I am sure most of us here aren't born Haitian and don't know the pressures being a prisoner in a failed state could cause.

But the DR is right in wanting to limit immigration by desperate people, because they are all desperate now.
People with nothing to lose and nothing to eat sometimes lash out.
I just want my neighbor to quit running an underground railroad for illegals, because I do not want them squatting next to me

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Too bad the lack of a Haitian government creates a situation where private developers can divert a river.
Who really suffers are Haitians who need visas or stamps or if a loved one is sick or dies are unable to return to pay respects.
I am sure most of us here aren't born Haitian and don't know the pressures being a prisoner in a failed state could cause.

But the DR is right in wanting to limit immigration by desperate people, because they are all desperate now.
People with nothing to lose and nothing to eat sometimes lash out.
I just want my neighbor to quit running an underground railroad for illegals, because I do not want them squatting next to me
CB...Then why are you hesitating on dropping the dime on them??

Reactions: cavok

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
Yet another project that has no hope of being completed in the next decade.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Elite policia Haiti. Stop...just stop. 🤣🤣 😱 😱
But wait! There's more!!

F51dGdiWoAAoKoZ

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Stopping irrigation flow a story as old as biblical times. Sorry Haiti ...not going to happen. Watch some old western movies and wait for a day that is sure to happen for someone on either side to get shot.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In the meantime, here's Doña Yadira surprising border troops taking bribes from Haitians:

Something similar happened to my kid's brother coming back from Haiti with his new wife yesterday. He is legal, she is not. Got turned back and had to pay a large $8k peso bribe to get her back out. They eventually found a ride in a car at 4AM this morning.

My kid on the other hand is totally legal and should be home around 5 or 6 tonight. Tiblan is stuck in Haiti with the Haitian blues again.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Something similar happened to my kid's brother coming back from Haiti with his new wife yesterday. He is legal, she is not. Got turned back and had to pay a large $8k peso bribe to get her back out. They eventually found a ride in a car at 4AM this morning.

My kid on the other hand is totally legal and should be home around 5 or 6 tonight. Tiblan is stuck in Haiti with the Haitian blues again.
Who is that bribe paid to?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
CB...Then why are you hesitating on dropping the dime on them??
I have heard the neighbors up the hill are going to do it. They are Dominicans and have way more pull and contacts than me.
I don't want him to get into trouble, just hoping he wises up on his own, since the illegals are actually a bigger threat to his well being than me.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
But wait! There's more!!

F51dGdiWoAAoKoZ
I hope that jeep still functions. I think that was one of the new ones bought a few months ago.

As with all the things done by the government, your tax dollar down a ditch. SMH

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
DR police
That's a ton of money. So the temptation is great and similar to the process of selling drugs. However there's an easy fix. It's called jail time. Oh, the nay sayers here will attack this post in a NY minute. Lo se. However those very nay sayers are not in the shoes of a policeman that is seconds away from losing his job, his family and doing 5 years in the slammer. It happens hundreds of time a week in all parts of a civilized society. All Luis needs are the first 6 guys caught on camera and a public outcry. Then it's game over for a while until a bunch a new guys come in .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That’s great, but isn’t illegal to video tape and photograph anyone in military attire without their consent? That’s despite the check they get is basically tax payers money (recently got a raise per Luis Abinader.)
Absolutely Nals. That's illegal. Those officers should report this incident to the very top of the command. I agree with you. Maybe even an email to Luis voicing a complaint.