new public school hours

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Why innaprorpiate? The are whole schools that have gotten sick from the food.

You are right! Something is wrong. They need to check dates and anything that has expired
needs to be thrown away ( hot cereals, cold cereals) etc.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Concerning the food. The gov't implemented nutritious foods in the schools to combat
childhood obesity. So many will find school cafeteria food disgusting because they are
being introduced to eating nutritious meals which consist of vegetables. Dominican
kids (majority) are not used to eating veggies every day. In order to enforce it they
need to prohibit the children from bringing their own lunch.

But what the school administration need to do is send a letter home to the parents
explaining why it is being done. That way the parents can explain it to their children.

I understand that. That's what people from tje PLD say, that the food is healthy. But how about the people who have gotten sick from eating the food? Plus, even kids I know who eat pretty healthy at home, like low in salt, no tomato sauce, ect. still don't want to eat it. I have a friend whose son waits till he leaves school to eat.

As for instruction, for example, English, I know kids whose textbook matches the number of their grade but the content is so much higher than what they've been taught before, and they haven't been previously taught a basis. Why teach the Present Perfect Tense when the kids are clueless and can't even handle the past tense.

It's like teaching just to fill some requirements but no purpose for real learning.

But I understand what you're saying. I guess you have to start somewhere!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Do not tell me you liked school lunch food. I remember that crap and everyone hated it. As far as hygiene how many schools even have a hot water heater? There should be a sign in all DR restaurant bath rooms "Our employees do not wash their hands with soap and hot water after a bowel movement". Hepatitus with that salad?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The most common complaint is a shortage of teachers for the afternoon lessons.

We have lost four ( perhaps not the right word because they were not all our best teachers) to the public system , all to high school and the Catholic school has lost more. The other private schools have also had the same results. One of the teachers hates it but she's getting paid around 40,000 per month and we aren't willing to pay her that much. Good teacher but has three young children and always needs a lot of time off.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You are right! Something is wrong. They need to check dates and anything that has expired
needs to be thrown away ( hot cereals, cold cereals) etc.

Some cafeteria foods I did not like at all I ate it but it never made me sick.

In some schools (DR) there were children who ended up in the hospital.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's not only in Sosua, it's where we live too. There used to be two half-day sessions, now it's a full day, they get out at 4 p.m.

It's amazing that they sound EXACTLY the same as a bunch of school kids in the US when they exit at the end of the day and hit the streets.

And yes, they all complain about the food. Some of the meals do sound rather disgusting.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What's wrong with eating "tomato sauce"?????????????

I believe that most of the "so called" intoxications are more likely "Mass Hysteria"!!!!

One sick kid goes to school, "pukes", then suddenly everyone else is also "SICK", and puking.
Happens all the time here.

Dominicans are likesheep.

Just like when one person "KNOWS" that an earthquake, "Sunami", or "meteor strike" is coming.
In 10 minutes, the streetsare filled with hysterical "Dominicanos"!

"Much Adue About "NADA"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"SE Cayo el CIELO"""

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree, CCCCCC. and as i said, i would also lie to get out of school. and it's not that difficult to make yourself vomit.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I laugh all the way to school as the kids whine and complain. I love to see them miserable over something they cannot control and offer them the option to run away from home. No one left yet but I still have hope.

You sound like a lot of fun to be around, good grief.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
other articles say the number is now up to 100. it must have been bad, bad milk. :rolleyes:

Franco 66

Aug 1, 2013
I heard that the kids are getting better,sounds more like a case of Listeria than Hysteria to me

FFFFFFFFFF

Aug 21, 2007
I am told by the kids, 8 am - 4 pm. I know the ending time for certain, as our classes begin at 4:15.....just not 100% sure of starting time.

Lindsey

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Quality of instruction rather than quantity would make more of a difference. I guess they had to begin somewhere, but I don't agree that longer days will benefit the students academically. C'est la vie.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i always try to help my nephews ask the and reinforce what they know,,,, small math questions....etc

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree with quality over quantity but apparently the government is working on that as well. in any case, if i were a parent i would love to see the school that takes care of kids for 12 hours. what a relief from constant parenting slavery that would be.