new public school hours

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My US high school had all the bells and whistles. Lap tops not a necessity but along with kindles they sure help. High school in Teas my older kids went to for last two years did not give out textbooks. You used the book under the desk during class then did work sheets. Last two years of school they never read a book. Books cost money and Texas does not spend on their education. Teachers used class time teaching the kids how to pass the Texas exit exam. Needless to say the kids never learned much. I was most shocked at not reading a single book during the last two years of high school. Good for them as I do not think they can read. AND they got excellent grades. Something really wrong. Asked older kid who graduated Dom high school with good grades if he was ever taught about a virus or a bacteria. "Nope". Still thinks you get sick from going out in the rain. Maybe he fell asleep that day.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
How odd! When the meal consisted of rice served with a fried egg.:ermm:

"Parents of children said that they began to have vomiting and severe pain, apparently after eating rations."

Does anybody know if the results are back from the lab?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
As it was described in our school, the food provided does not have additives so will be bland and take some getting used to.they are trying for a more natural and balanced diet.it is a good step.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thanks bob. I know I am on the right track when the neocons hit dislike button. Not good from the viewpoint of someone in the Dominican school business, eh

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
have to agree with CC on this. Kids in groups seem vulnerable to hysteria. One tosses his cookies and soon mass illness sweeps through the school. Dominicans I know have cast iron constitutions and rarely get sick other than the seemingly constant winter time grippe which is probably a virus and spreads like crazy. With the amount of unrefrigerated and unclean food consumed here you would think they would all be sick all the time.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This has been going on here for tye 30 years I have been coming/living here!!!!!!!
As you can see, once there is an "incident" in one school, it is soon followed by several more "incidents"!

Usually it is supposedly "Contaminated Food", but sometimes it is a mysterious "Gas" that poisons teachers and students.
I have never heard of an incident where everyone was not sent home from the hospital as soon as they spent about 5 minutes there, without any treatment!!!!

Dominicans are notorious hypocondriacts!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks bob. I know I am on the right track when the neocons hit dislike button. Not good from the viewpoint of someone in the Dominican school business, eh

Acually I think I hit it by accident. Im no more a neocon that you are a regressive leftist. As far as business we have more demand than capacity. IF i hit the dislike on purpose I would tell you why and what I dislike.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
good for ya bob. Glad to hear you are making money in the Dominican school business.

Not really in it for the money, but nobody wants to operate at a loss. The public schools spend your tax money, the Catholic schools and missionary school get either religious exemptions or charitable organization exemptions. We pay taxes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Seriously? 30 years ago there was NO school breakfast, and NO school lunch.

Thirty years ago other than in the larger towns and cities there was no high school. Most rural schools only went to grade six or seven. My MIL only has grade six, but that's as far as the available school went.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Thirty years ago other than in the larger towns and cities there was no high school. Most rural schools only went to grade six or seven. My MIL only has grade six, but that's as far as the available school went.

What do you mean there were no high schools? I have a sister who was in high school 30 years ago, and we lived in a small town. And still there was no school breakfast, and no school lunch either.

There was school breakfast LONG before that, but it stopped.

Aug 6, 2006
THey are only discussing school breakfasts and lunches in Barahona. Books must be purchased, they are not free. I assume that different provinces must do things like education differently.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
THey are only discussing school breakfasts and lunches in Barahona. Books must be purchased, they are not free. I assume that different provinces must do things like education differently.

I've noticed that in some places they do have free books but not everyone knows about them. Like it's a secret to favor a group of people or something. Could this be what's happening there?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

All public schools have free books, in fact the books even state that they are forbidden to sell ( Prohibida su venta. Propiedad del ministerio de Educaci?n de la Republica Dominicana) . If there are no free books in the public schools in Barahona it means the local school district is not doing it's job. The way it is supposed to work is the local district does their head count per school and then orders the books, sorts them, and distributes them. There can be a shortage due to incorrect numbers or an influx of children at the last moment. Here in Jarabacoa for example they under-estimated the number of children in Grades three and five and ended up with a shortage in several subjects. Each subject has it's own worker at the school district that is supposed to get the numbers and arrange the distribution.
In private schools the books are not free. We have an arrangement with the school District. They provide us with any surplus books ( strangely matching the number of students we have) and we do not charge the students for them, thus keeping the costs down for the parents. They do this because my wife takes some of their children with learning disabilities and gets them up to speed. I think that the pro-activeness of the school district and the school directors makes a huge difference. Even so, we have about 40 or more students that are the children of public school teachers.

Aug 6, 2006
Useful to know this. I do not know how to use it to get books free for the children, though.
I have seen little evidence of competence of the Barahona schools. The lessons are unimaginative and ineffective. One example required the students to cut words out of the newspaper and stick them on a page. The list was the same for everyone, but the pages from the Listin were not, and not all the words were there.
Another was having third graders cut out pieces of a teddy bear from a dittoed sheet and glue them into a notebook. This would be okay for kindergarten, but for third graders, it seemed useless. Also, at no point were students told they needed scissors. Most people did not have a working pair of scissors. Scissors sold in Barahona have a limited lifespan, being used to open cans does not help.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In a state school I visited in the SW the schoolbooks were all there - on a shelf in the director's office - with little evidence of actual use by the students.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Useful to know this. I do not know how to use it to get books free for the children, though.
I have seen little evidence of competence of the Barahona schools. The lessons are unimaginative and ineffective. One example required the students to cut words out of the newspaper and stick them on a page. The list was the same for everyone, but the pages from the Listin were not, and not all the words were there.
Another was having third graders cut out pieces of a teddy bear from a dittoed sheet and glue them into a notebook. This would be okay for kindergarten, but for third graders, it seemed useless. Also, at no point were students told they needed scissors. Most people did not have a working pair of scissors. Scissors sold in Barahona have a limited lifespan, being used to open cans does not help.

Most teachers in the DR think that teaching is to have the children copy off the board or fill in blanks to complete words. Very little discussion of the subject matter and re-enforcement of the lesson. Their exercise books will be filled with writing or printing but the child will neither understand or remember the what and why of what they copied.
We have a young teacher that was a student at our school from Grade one to six. She is an excellent teacher- good classroom management, discipline and she works the kid's minds. Lots of quizzes both oral and written. She's tough but the kids like her.
Go to the school district, use your diplomacy and tell them that you've noticed that the children in such and such school don't text books and that you understand that the district provides them free of charge, See what kind of answer you get. I learned quickly that demanding anything from government here is like asking for a roadblock. Flowery language, compliments, lots of sympathising with their problems...etc can get you gold.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Go to the school district, use your diplomacy and tell them that you've noticed that the children in such and such school don't text books and that you understand that the district provides them free of charge, See what kind of answer you get. I learned quickly that demanding anything from government here is like asking for a roadblock. Flowery language, compliments, lots of sympathising with their problems...etc can get you gold.
Even better would be to encourage the director to go her/himself.