new public school hours

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i agree with quality over quantity but apparently the government is working on that as well. in any case, if i were a parent i would love to see the school that takes care of kids for 12 hours. what a relief from constant parenting slavery that would be.

LOL, why have kids then? Most parents are eager to pick up their children from school. The in school breakfast and lunch program is an opportunity for the director to syphon some money into his/her pocket and the same for the supplier. Kids like the jice and that's about it. The really poor kids of course eat the food.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, i also question the sanity of those who breed. but i think even those crazy enough to have few cubs should sometimes have some me-time and rest. not to mention work schedules and/or long commute. back in the communism days of poland there were night nurseries for those parents who worked night shifts. the school itself lasted only x number of hours but it was open for about 12 hours so the kids whose parents worked long hours could stay in and either play or read under supervision.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hey Chip, if had me around as a parent you would have turned out better.The kids soon learn the difference between things you can change and things over which you have no control and not to waste time on what you cannot change. A lesson you never learned.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A ll kids were sent home from the hospital right away, with no treatment needed.
The lad results were pending as of this am.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"LET THEM EAT CAKE"!!!!!,......."Jonny Cake"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Far too many parents do not know how to parent. It's a lot of work. Idea is that you teach the kids so they have the tools for success and are well adjusted. "My"kids clean up after themselves,
do well in school and very importantly shut up and pay attention around adults. They
know they learn by listening.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Zoom, I agree, EXCEPT with the "Shut Up" around adults part.
We encourage conversation among every one in the room, not just the adults.
Many adults here firmly believe that all kids should not only not be heard, but not be seen either!!!
I find it much more difficult to make the adults listen to, and not interupt the children when they are talking, than visa versa.
Not the Dominican way.
When I am talking with a child, and an adult walks in and acts as if the child doesn't exist, I tell them to please wait until we finish our conversation.
I spend a LOT of time just listening intently to my young children.
Even when they ramble on and on about some boring subject!
Children respond well when there is an adult hanging on their every word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Listening" is not considered a good habit here in the DR!
It clashes with the "EVERYONE TALKS AT THE SAME TIME, AS LOUD AS YOU CAN", NORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I raised my son in Boston as a single parent.
When he was 8, we went to visit some of my friends in San Francisco.
AT dinner, my friend asked me, ..."How old is this kid,...."30"???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hey Chip, if had me around as a parent you would have turned out better.The kids soon learn the difference between things you can change and things over which you have no control and not to waste time on what you cannot change. A lesson you never learned.

Is Chip on this thread?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Zoom, I agree, EXCEPT with the "Shut Up" around adults part.
We encourage conversation among every one in the room, not just the adults.
Many adults here firmly believe that all kids should not only not be heard, but not be seen either!!!
I find it much more difficult to make the adults listen to, and not interupt the children when they are talking, than visa versa.
Not the Dominican way.
When I am talking with a child, and an adult walks in and acts as if the child doesn't exist, I tell them to please wait until we finish our conversation.
I spend a LOT of time just listening intently to my young children.
Even when they ramble on and on about some boring subject!
Children respond well when there is an adult hanging on their every word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Listening" is not considered a good habit here in the DR!
It clashes with the "EVERYONE TALKS AT THE SAME TIME, AS LOUD AS YOU CAN", NORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I raised my son in Boston as a single parent.
When he was 8, we went to visit some of my friends in San Francisco.
AT dinner, my friend asked me, ..."How old is this kid,...."30"???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Proper time and place. Talking out of turn or when the teacher is explaining creates havoc in the classroom. At home with family is a different thing altogether. We have a number of teachers that have excellent classroom management, unfortunately the rest act like Dominican parents, trying to yell louder than the kids. When my wife is talking you can hear a pin drop.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"When MY WIFE is talking",... you couldn't hear an atomic bomb go off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I could just harness all that "Hot Air" ,....I WOULD have electricity "24/7"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
yep, he is here. Posted I am not fun to be around. When it comes to him he is correct. He would not like being around me. As regards children listening- they do not interrup, yell out or speak without thinking. Everyone is treated respectfully unless they play the fool then they get it from everyone. They have a time to talk but its not all the time. Love the new school hours. Glad to hear the teachers are getting more money, they deserve it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
none of you ever heated the thermometer on the bed side light? Had to be careful not to over heat it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
yep, he is here. Posted I am not fun to be around. When it comes to him he is correct. He would not like being around me. As regards children listening- they do not interrup, yell out or speak without thinking. Everyone is treated respectfully unless they play the fool then they get it from everyone. They have a time to talk but its not all the time. Love the new school hours. Glad to hear the teachers are getting more money, they deserve it.

LOL, Some deserve it, most don't. Chip has not posted on this thread, Chic has though.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Bronzie, check the dates, throw away perfectly good expired food? Cannot see that happening here. Change the dates, offer expired date food at a small discount? Pretend to throw it out and have your cousin get it from the trash, resell it and split the money? Most definitely. When a Dominican throws something away it is completely useless and beyond value to anyone.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
uh, check post number 30? Sure looks like the chipper

My apologies I missed that posting. A good part of learning to interact is learning how to converse and learning the appropiate time and place to talk. This is something that has to be taught and enfored in both the home and school. If your children are miserable about going to school either the school sucks or you haven't done a good job of spreading the joy of learning. If Dominican teachers were paid for what they know and do, most are vastly over paid.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
What normal kid goes eagerly off to Dominican public school at zero dark thirty (in their minds) looking forward to "the joy of learning" and the expanded school day. Its not just a little expanded its like double the hours. In the past they got home so quick I hardly noticed them missing. The reality is poor food, sour milk, ill trained, poorly paid teachers, lack of decent educational amenities (lap tops etc). These schoold do not even have a swimming pool, gymnasium or even high school football teams. The swimming pools saved me. Never would have gone to college if no swimming. I understand the kids complaints but I like it better when they suffer silently. Joy of learning never got me till I fell in lust with my grade 8 teacher.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was with you until the swimming pool fallacy. man, most of schools throughout europe have no pools. there is a handful of pools in my entire city back in poland. but all schools have quite large outside playground, so to speak, with football pitch and athletic track and indoor exercise area, large enough to play volleyball and/or basketball. play/exercise are is often overlooked in dominican schools but to expect pools is insane.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My 12 year old daughter keeps asking me,..."When is summer vacation over"??????
She is the rare person who actually loves going to school.
I can't say it's for,..."The joy of learning",...more like the "JOY of being with her friends".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What normal kid goes eagerly off to Dominican public school at zero dark thirty (in their minds) looking forward to "the joy of learning" and the expanded school day. Its not just a little expanded its like double the hours. In the past they got home so quick I hardly noticed them missing. The reality is poor food, sour milk, ill trained, poorly paid teachers, lack of decent educational amenities (lap tops etc). These schoold do not even have a swimming pool, gymnasium or even high school football teams. The swimming pools saved me. Never would have gone to college if no swimming. I understand the kids complaints but I like it better when they suffer silently. Joy of learning never got me till I fell in lust with my grade 8 teacher.[/QUOTE
LAPTOPS nice to have but not a necessity for learning. I guess I live in a different DR than the rest of you. There is a basketball court in every school in Jarabacoa. We havs Volleyball in one and basketball in the other. THE catholic school has more room so they have baseball, soccer, and basketball. Out of about 600 kids I only see about a dozen show up in a defiant mood. Most are happy to be with their buddies.
Just got three American kids from Texas. NOT a word of Spanish between the three. They are having a ball and their parents are happy.