New Twist in Dominican Used Car Market

C

chico bill

I have one that uses an app on my cell phone. It cost $10 dollars on Amazon. I bet gorgon has one.

You can not do it through the OBDII port, it requires a direct connection to the back of the instrument panel, which requires that to be removed. Not that tough but not something that happens without the right connectors specific to the back of the instrument panel

C

cobraboy

I have one that uses an app on my cell phone. It cost $10 dollars on Amazon. I bet gorgon has one.
It is not the device, it's the software.

I just saw a video by a guy who buys junk exotic cars and tries to rebuild them.

His latest is a Ferrari that was totalled, I don't know why, with multiple electrical issues (go figure; I'm guessing a flood car.) When is fancy OBDII reader didn't figure some issues out, he talked about either taking the car to a Ferrari dealer for a spendy diagnostic check, or spending $8,000 on the software.

Heck, I have a decent OBDII myself.

P

playacaribe2

I just saw a video by a guy who buys junk exotic cars and tries to rebuild them.

His latest is a Ferrari that was totalled, I don't know why, with multiple electrical issues (go figure; I'm guessing a flood car.) When is fancy OBDII reader didn't figure some issues out, he talked about either taking the car to a Ferrari dealer for a spendy diagnostic check, or spending $8,000 on the software.

Yes it is the software..........must be purchased annually from the manufacturer......and with that purchase an interface to convert that data for use on a laptop.

An OBD II can read the cluster mileage...........which may or may not be the actual mileage. The actual mileage as contained on the ECM/BCM can only be accessed with factory purchased software.

Autozone/Amazon OBD II's are fine for backyard basics, but they cannot read nor convert a lot of important data and have limited functionality.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

F

Fulano2

For what I understand, correct me, not every brand car can be analized by the the average OBD. Like Range Rover has it's own.

P

playacaribe2

For what I understand, correct me, not every brand car can be analized by the the average OBD. Like Range Rover has it's own.

If its currently sold in the US, it must be OBD II compliant. Pre-1996 cars are generally not OBD II compliant.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

E

Ecoman1949

But beware - many for sale here are ex-rental cars that have been used hard for their size and capacity.

You got that right! I rent Kia Picantos all the time and I’m not kind to them. Been on country roads where Jeeps fear to go. They are tough little cars. The only thing lacking is a more powerful engine. If your going to pass other cars, your spatial skills better be good.

T

the gorgon

you are right. all cars must be obd compliant, but that does not mean that all scanners can read all cars. those things have to be updated, and not all updates are free. so, you can buy an outdated scanner on ebay, and it will not read a very late model until updated.

T

the gorgon

You got that right! I rent Kia Picantos all the time and I’m not kind to them. Been on country roads where Jeeps fear to go. They are tough little cars. The only thing lacking is a more powerful engine. If your going to pass other cars, your spatial skills better be good.

Picantos are great. i had the opportunity to pick up a brand new one, with 6 miles on it, for 630k pesos. some ballplayer won it in a supermarket raffle, and has no use for it. he left it at a dealer to sell, and i offered him that for it. the lady i was helping to get a car told her mom about it, and her mom yelled at her. she ended up with the Honda Fit, a wonderful car.

T

the gorgon

well, it depends on what is being analyzed. there are basic functions that any scanner can do, but when you get to functions like opening brake calipers, and setting parking brakes, some scanners are dedicated.

F

Fulano2

OK, thanks Gorgon. So that means with a regular OBD you could do oil/brakes etc. and do a reset on a Landrover? Discovery?
My daughter drives it now and I don't want to send her to Sosua while we have our great "TOYOTA" in RSJ.

T

the gorgon

OK, thanks Gorgon. So that means with a regular OBD you could do oil/brakes etc. and do a reset on a Landrover? Discovery?
My daughter drives it now and I don't want to send her to Sosua while we have our great "TOYOTA" in RSJ.

well, that is exactly the opposite of what i said. i said that some simple emissions functions can be performed on just about every car with a basic scanner. however, certain cars require dedicated scanners to do certain things. actually, some scanners require that the database for each car be downloaded, and it is not free. so, you can buy a basic Autel and just download the BMW info, if you only want to work on BMW..the screen will display an error message if you connect it to a Bentley.

B

badpiece33

if you know how to buy a Sonata, or a K5, you will end up with a great car. as i said in my posting, buying one is not for a novice buyer. many of them were regular private use vehicles, and you need to get one of those. if you get one of the mamey paintovers, you could be in a world of hurt. you have to know that a 2010 only came in white and grey. if you saw a black one, somebody here painted it. you also need to know that if you are going to buy one, do not even think of getting it in Santo Domingo...all garbage cars. Santiago is the place to buy one.

White and bought it in Santiago

T

the gorgon

White and bought it in Santiago

well, you checked the right boxes, and that is why you ended up with a great Sonata...

the Sonatas and the later LPI variants are way better in Santiago than they are in the capital. it seems like the selected stuff goes to Santiago, and the garbage stays in Sto Dgo. whatever you do, never be tempted to buy from a dealer called Fiauto...don't ask why...just take my word.

C

ctrob

the cars are all sent to a special facility in Chile, where the switch is professionally done. they are then shipped here...

they used to be switched over here, but the government put a stop to that..

Years ago, I was helping pick up a car in Moca. It wasn't ready, so we went next door and watched the assembly line of cars being switched from right to left drive. Just a big open sided building, each station did a different function for the right/left switch. Amazing to watch. If I remember right, they looked like South Americans doing the work. This would have been around 2009ish.

T

the gorgon

Years ago, I was helping pick up a car in Moca. It wasn't ready, so we went next door and watched the assembly line of cars being switched from right to left drive. Just a big open sided building, each station did a different function for the right/left switch. Amazing to watch. If I remember right, they looked like South Americans doing the work. This would have been around 2009ish.

that is around the time that they were doing the switches on the Toyota Glanza and the Nissan March..i guess they figured that it was geographically better to do the switch in South America, because the market there is huge, and there would be no need for ocean shipping, except to small markets like the DR.