New Twist in Dominican Used Car Market

E

Ecoman1949

Lovely cars but you'll be fighting a constant battle against rust here.

The DR salt laden rain and air is similar to the rain and air in Atlantic Canada. As Neil Young says rust never sleeps. These types of cars were never built for longevity. I’m more concerned about the condition of the DR roads and the vulnerability of these four wheeled roller skates in head on collisions. They are okay for the odd Sunday cruise but I’d have concerns about using them as a daily driver in the DR. An old 55 Willy’s Jeep with a pickup bed. That’s a vehicle made for DR roads. My father had one in the 60’s. The steel in those vehicles was incredible and the power train was bulletproof.

E

Ecoman1949

Things like paint & body work are cheaper here.... and good !!!

you see wrecks being imported... for repair and resale

My father had a service station as part of his business. He had a saying. A bit of paint can cover a lot of sins. Judging by the quality of some of the repaired vehicles I see on DR roads, they should have gone to hell years ago.

B

bob saunders

Hyundai came a long way before 10 years ago. when 66% of prior owners give a car 5 stars out of 5, and only 6% give it 1 star, that says everything you need to know. that is how prior, or present, owners of the 2007 Hyundai Tucson feel about it. the perfect car for the Dominican Republic.

I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, originally from New Jersey that other than routine maintenance and a broken horn has been good to me for 7 years and I suspect is good for a few more years.

T

the gorgon

I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, originally from New Jersey that other than routine maintenance and a broken horn has been good to me for 7 years and I suspect is good for a few more years.

one of the very best cars for this country. if you get a 2.7 V6 in good condition, you have a wonderful car. i just picked up a 2007 Tucson from an old lady in LaVega..77k kilometers. like it just came off the showroom floor. that guy will have a great car for a long time. Hyundai rules.

C

chico bill

The DR salt laden rain and air is similar to the rain and air in Atlantic Canada. As Neil Young says rust never sleeps. These types of cars were never built for longevity. I’m more concerned about the condition of the DR roads and the vulnerability of these four wheeled roller skates in head on collisions. They are okay for the odd Sunday cruise but I’d have concerns about using them as a daily driver in the DR. An old 55 Willy’s Jeep with a pickup bed. That’s a vehicle made for DR roads. My father had one in the 60’s. The steel in those vehicles was incredible and the power train was bulletproof.

What would be great (if it wasn't for poor mileage), how about a 1948-1952 Dodge Powerwagon, but they are selling now for $65K and up. It would drive right through a Hyundai Sonata (or over it) and probably not get a dent

T

the gorgon

What would be great (if it wasn't for poor mileage), how about a 1948-1952 Dodge Powerwagon, but they are selling now for $65K and up. It would drive right through a Hyundai Sonata (or over it) and probably not get a dent

and a big old black rotary phone would smash a Samsung Galaxy 10 in a fistfight.

W

windeguy

Lovely cars but you'll be fighting a constant battle against rust here.

That depends on where you live. Here in Jarabacoa or in Santiago we are far enough from the ocean that rust is not a problem.

I just "donated" my Santa Fe to the family charity and purchased a used vehicle of another type since I wanted more space for my music gear. The Santa Fe is up in Jarabacoa now.

I bought the 2003 Santa Fe new at Magna Motors in Santo Domingo the first week I was in the DR in September of 2003 and it had about 175,000 Km on it when I passed it on, all mine .

As for rust, I live about 150 yards from the ocean. The body of the car is still in very good shape after 16 years. I did have some issues with the L4 engine, but repairs are not terribly expensive (even if the timing belt snaps prematurely, ouch!) Or the radiator blows out on the Moca Mountain Road, (double ouch) Needless to say, .....I became an expert at importing parts since I had one of the very first Santa Fe's in the DR and Magna Motors was not stocking spare parts and when they did the prices were silly, stupid, high from Magna. Rock Auto and Ebay were my friends.

For those who quote 10 year warranties for Hyundai/Kia, that would be in the US. Your DR warranty will be considerably shorter, because this is the DR. Maybe a maximum of 3 years for a new one?

C

chico bill

I just "donated" my Santa Fe to the family charity and purchased a used vehicle of another type since I wanted more space for my music gear. The Santa Fe is up in Jarabacoa now.

I bought the 2003 Santa Fe new at Magna Motors in Santo Domingo the first week I was in the DR in September of 2003 and it had about 175,000 Km on it when I passed it on, all mine .

As for rust, I live about 150 yards from the ocean. The body of the car is still in very good shape after 16 years. I did have some issues with the L4 engine, but repairs are not terribly expensive (even if the timing belt snaps prematurely, ouch!) Or the radiator blows out on the Moca Mountain Road, (double ouch) Needless to say, .....I became an expert at importing parts since I had one of the very first Santa Fe's in the DR and Magna Motors was not stocking spare parts and when they did the prices were silly, stupid, high from Magna. Rock Auto and Ebay were my friends.

For those who quote 10 year warranties for Hyundai/Kia, that would be in the US. Your DR warranty will be considerably shorter, because this is the DR. Maybe a maximum of 3 years for a new one?
I can join you on being an expert on importing Santa Fe parts some direct from Korea.
What's funny is I was quoted $650 for a used rear differential AWD coupling that looked salt damaged. Got it brand new from Korea for $700 with free shipping to Florida and put it in a suitcase.
eBay is my friend as are the Hyundai Parts Online - but one certain shipper starting with a "C" and ending in "S" lost my last part so I reordered & shipped to EncargoPaq and installed.
8 weeks later C.. S found the missing part. Uh hello I don't need it now!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk