New type of voip

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
One more question for the "techies"

OK, so I bought the Magic Jack........

So I program it with a US area code and bring it to the DR and plug it into my computer in Puerto Plata........

I can call the US/Canada etc for free.............WHAT STOPS SOMEONE FROM CALLING THE PHONE NUMBER I HAVE (WHICH HAS A US AREA CODE) AND REACHING ME FOR FREE IN THE DR????

"INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW"?????

Jan 9, 2004
Other than a power outage or computer malfunction......Nothing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

So I program it with a US area code and bring it to the DR and plug it into my computer in Puerto Plata........

I can call the US/Canada etc for free.............WHAT STOPS SOMEONE FROM CALLING THE PHONE NUMBER I HAVE (WHICH HAS A US AREA CODE) AND REACHING ME FOR FREE IN THE DR????

Techman

Dec 29, 2007
i have taken my unit and used it on many pc's and laptops. no problemas , just plug in let it run it's setup and you are calling using your number and it saves a list of calls you made and phone book on the unit .......

all incoming calls are free

Jan 9, 2004
There is no additional charge for caller ID.

But before you leap for any of these services, make sure it is what you want. The other VOIP carriers that I mentioned above all have advantages and disadvantages.

If price and portability are at the top of your criteria, then Magicjack is a great choice.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

does it cost extra?? or included??

thanks

sorry for bothering but i'm thinking of getting it...

l3men2

Jan 2, 2008
Here is my review on this gadget:

-Been using it for about three month now.
-You buy the item which at the time cost me about $40 adn you pay nothing else for a full year,after the year you renew for i belive to be $20.
-You hook up the device to any available usb,register using the email address you purchased with and choose your number from a selection of major cities area codes.
-Now you are set to make phone calls to any landline or cellphone number in the states and pay nothing....yes nothing for as long and as many times as you want within the year.
-Now you give your number to relatives and friends in the states and when they call you the call will be treated as if you were in the states.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Well I got it..............

..........and am using it in POP. It seems to be working fine......

I have called various places/family/friends etc in the US and have not had a problem......

One drawback MIGHT be that they are limited in the area codes / states that you can pick your number from. I am from CT and they did not have any numbers available from CT so I had to pick a NY number......

This is not a problem for me calling the US, but if someone wanted to use the number to call me, they would have to either use a cell phone or have unlimited long distance calling on their home line OTHERWISE they would have to pay a toll..............although it would still be less than a calling card or dialing direct..........

I would recommend that anyone in the DR that has connections to the US/Canad and has a computer here with DSL/Flash etc.......buy one!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Will it work at a public internet cafe? Or at Rocky's?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
It would.........

Will it work at a public internet cafe? Or at Rocky's?

........but it has to install a program onto the computer........

Once you "register" your MagicJack and assign it a phone number, the number is assigned to that particular "Magicjack". When you move it from one computer to another it looks for the "MagicJack PHONE program" as I would call it, then installs. Once installed, it already knows the phone number of the "MagicJack" that you have plugged into the USB..............

Jan 9, 2004
And...

as POP Bad Boy has pointed out, once the software is installed on a computer, any magicjack, no matter what the number, can be used without the need to re-install the software.

The downside, if you can call it that, is there is currently no easy way (yet) to uninstall the program....should you desire to do so.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

........but it has to install a program onto the computer........

Once you "register" your MagicJack and assign it a phone number, the number is assigned to that particular "Magicjack". When you move it from one computer to another it looks for the "MagicJack PHONE program" as I would call it, then installs. Once installed, it already knows the phone number of the "MagicJack" that you have plugged into the USB..............

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Just to make sure I understand:

- Your computer has to be on 24/7 if you want round the clock service?
- You cannot call an 809 or 829 area code?
- Other than that, it will do anything a Vonage phone will do?

- Thanks, D

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Seems

Just to make sure I understand:

- Your computer has to be on 24/7 if you want round the clock service?
- You cannot call an 809 or 829 area code?
- Other than that, it will do anything a Vonage phone will do?

- Thanks, D

..........correct...

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Is there a downside to leaving a computer on 24/7? I assume that it can be left in sleep mode. - D

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I

have never NOT kept my computers on 24/7.

That includes 2 desktops and 2 laptops at home. We also leave all business computers on 24/7 in the US although they are only open for business during normal business hours.

I have cooling pads under the laptops.

Last edited: