New type of voip

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
have never NOT kept my computers on 24/7.

That includes 2 desktops and 2 laptops at home. We also leave all business computers on 24/7 in the US although they are only open for business during normal business hours.

I have cooling pads under the laptops.

What is a cooling pad?

l3men2

Jan 2, 2008
Just to make sure I understand:

- Your computer has to be on 24/7 if you want round the clock service?
- You cannot call an 809 or 829 area code?
- Other than that, it will do anything a Vonage phone will do?

- Thanks, D

-If you computer if off , the person calling will get the voicemail, when they leave a voivemail then the message is sent to the email adderss you registered with as an audio file and you can hear it in any computer.

-For now you could only call to the US for free.Their site states that after jan 11 they will offer prepaid minutes for international use.

-Yes

When i do recomend this to anybody due to it's low price know that this product it is a beta product and not be be used as a reliable primary phone.We do have local phone/internet service with codetel and the magicjack is strictly used for calls to and from the US for free.

They had a forum where most people were complaining about issues with the thing and they just wiped all information as they do not want bad publicity.I see it as the begining of the cheap phone service but not yet there.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
This is a different forum..............

The forum was full of information, settings recomendations by users as well as technical problems....Some months ago they could not handle the pressure by users demanding help and they wiped everything and started the forum from zero.

.............the forum you are talking about is the REAL MagicJack company forum......

This forum is still operating and is an "UNofficial" MagicJack forum....Unofficial magicJack Forum

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The #1 problem with VOIP is the user doesn't have enough real upload speed. If you have less than 385k REAL speed, the person on the other end of the call gets a lot of distortion. Upload speed is costly.

Techman

Dec 29, 2007
The #1 problem with VOIP is the user doesn't have enough real upload speed. If you have less than 385k REAL speed, the person on the other end of the call gets a lot of distortion. Upload speed is costly.

Not with the Magicjack , i have friends with codetel 256/128 dsl and it works great

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

Yes, but this is only part of the story. A very big part is the type of compression algorithm used by the VoIP provider. Different technologies here.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Yes, but this is only part of the story. A very big part is the type of compression algorithm used by the VoIP provider. Different technologies here.

Absolutely correct - we cannot get Vonage VOIP to work with Comcast SA cable Internet - and it has has NOTHING to do with speed. Worked fine with our previous ISP.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Read this thread and decided to try the MagicJack. Just ordered it. Quick question though because I am technically illiterate...can I use my computer while I am on the phone with the MagicJack???

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
You can...........

Read this thread and decided to try the MagicJack. Just ordered it. Quick question though because I am technically illiterate...can I use my computer while I am on the phone with the MagicJack???

........but the more resources you use (ie: CPU usuage) the sound will begin to break up..............

.........especially if it requires downloading/uploading information..............

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks... can't wait for my MagicJack to arrive...my phone bills are outrageous.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We have a business VOIP system set up in 3 different locations that allow calls to be made within the network, like you would with different extensions within an office. Currently the extensions are in Philadelphia and two FL locations. We will be adding 2 more extensions in the DR.

The phones look like standard multi-line office equipment with a power cord and an ethernet cable that plugs into a router. The equipment is an Allworx 6x IP PBX and model #9112 phones. Our home base is connected to a business VOIP connection (incredible inexpensive). Internal calls, regardless of where they are located in the world, cost nothing. External calls are very inexpensive (like US$.05 per min. to the DR).

It does require solid, clean upload at nearly 312k (if all extensions were on at the same time, and folks were also on the net), less with a Quality of Service priority system. But the quality so far has actually exceeded either cell or land lines. Hopefully this will continue in the DR, and technically it should with the correct satnet system.

Reactions: FernieBee

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Hi,

Just wondering how magicjack is working out for those that decided to try it.

I work remotely in the U.S. and want to spend a couple of weeks in the DR this summer, but I will need to call the U.S. regularly for work and I was wondering if this would work for me. Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Is the reception clear? I can't sound like I'm under water or in a wind tunnel as I will be on conference calls a few hrs a day.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We have a business VOIP system set up in 3 different locations that allow calls to be made within the network, like you would with different extensions within an office. Currently the extensions are in Philadelphia and two FL locations. We will be adding 2 more extensions in the DR.

The phones look like standard multi-line office equipment with a power cord and an ethernet cable that plugs into a router. The equipment is an Allworx 6x IP PBX and model #9112 phones. Our home base is connected to a business VOIP connection (incredible inexpensive). Internal calls, regardless of where they are located in the world, cost nothing. External calls are very inexpensive (like US$.05 per min. to the DR).

It does require solid, clean upload at nearly 312k (if all extensions were on at the same time, and folks were also on the net), less with a Quality of Service priority system. But the quality so far has actually exceeded either cell or land lines. Hopefully this will continue in the DR, and technically it should with the correct satnet system.
We have 2 extentions in the DR now. Clear as a bell.