New US immigration law impacts Dominicans Dominicantoday

Status
Not open for further replies.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
No, I do not. I use an electric stove.
Could this turn out to be the beginning
of the end for the Welfare Queens of America?
Boy do I miss the days of sitting around the
Calliope Projects sitting on my *ss all day
smoking weed and making babies with like
minded individuals. Times are indeed a changing...
Huh bruh?

Well electricity is subsidized in the dr...... just saying.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
i guess you missed the part about the welfare mothers making babies. i do not need that crap for an answwer, windeguy. in case you are not paying attention, the site is becoming radioactive, what with the confrontational approach that has become the currency of the realm. there is nothing difficult about giving a civil answer.

in case you are not noticing, more and more people have left the site recently, and many have stated that they will never log on to the site again. it is because of the rancorous responses, and the lack of common civility.

Agreed, thanks. People need to understand they are not going to change anyone's political stance by sharing their personal wisdom on the DR1 message board, or wherever. We live in an era of affirmation, not information (i.e. facts don't matter).

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
..its simple whats going on....the USA can no longer afford the fraud that is going on....balance the budget, when a country has trouble making the interest on its debts...time to get out of the red into the black....ohhh and its not just Dominicans being singled out............Doc..............

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well electricity is subsidized in the dr...... just saying.

thanks for informing people of that. in any poor third world country, many day to day items are subsidized. people benefit from those subsidies in indirect ways. if a poor woman gets a subsidy from Bonogas, and is able to sell you a plato del dia for 100 pesos, because she gets gas at a reduced rate, then you indirectly benefit from the subsidy.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The Dominican Republic : In face of fiscal
pressures, the country progressively eliminated subsidies on gasoline, diesel and LPG during
2005–08. As a mitigating measure, part of the increased revenue was used as cash transfers
to poor households and to drivers of public transportation. Transfer payments are made
through a solidarity bank credit card (Bonogas cards). Subsidies cover the difference between
the market price and the below-market price for consumption below a threshold established
by MIC. Fuel prices are among the highest in LAC, and have led to smuggling from Haiti.
Fuel subsidies have been reduced to modest levels (0.1 percent of GDP in 2013). However,
until the automatic pricing mechanism ensures the pass-through of changes in international
prices without foregone revenue, the reform remains incomplete. The resort to VAT tax
reductions to smooth prices in recent years has affected negatively budgetary revenue. Fuel
taxes amounted to 2 percent of GDP in 2012.
https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2015/wp1530.pdf

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
..its simple whats going on....the USA can no longer afford the fraud that is going on....balance the budget, when a country has trouble making the interest on its debts...time to get out of the red into the black....ohhh and its not just Dominicans being singled out............Doc..............

actually, being unable to balance the budget is a revenue issue, which cannot be discussed in this thread. it has nothing to do with the immigrants who get a few hundred dollars in food stamps per month. to hear some people tell it, people are lining up overnight in a queue at embassies, to get a green card to the USA, where they can sit home all day, dring beer, breed like rabbits, and accomplish nothing. WRONG. people do not go to places where there is snow and ice on the ground to be idlers. if anybody thinks that immigrants are a bunch of indolents, then you go harvest radishes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
WRONG. people do not go to places where there is snow and ice on the ground to be idlers. if anybody thinks that immigrants are a bunch of indolents, then you go harvest radishes.

True that many illegal immigrants work at jobs under the table to try and earn a living. Some say others will never do those jobs, so it is essential that only illegals do them because once they become legal they can look for better jobs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
True that many illegal immigrants work at jobs under the table to try and earn a living. Some say others will never do those jobs, so it is essential that only illegals do them because once they become legal they can look for better jobs.

there is an elementary concept in economics called the ''reserve wage'', or ''reservation wage''. . it is the wage below which the opportunity cost of not working exceeds the cost of work. what that means is that below a certain amount of remuneration, a person will not leave the comfort of leisure. a guy would rather do without 20 pesos an hour than work for that. when people migrate from an economy like the DR, wherein a woman dresses in a business suit, goes to work 6 days a week until sundown, and gets 50 dollars per week, they work hard in their new environment. this nonsense that people migrate to first world countries for the free benefits is beyond silly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
there is an elementary concept in economics called the ''reserve wage'', or ''reservation wage''. . it is the wage below which the opportunity cost of not working exceeds the cost of work. what that means is that below a certain amount of remuneration, a person will not leave the comfort of leisure. a guy would rather do without 20 pesos an hour than work for that. when people migrate from an economy like the DR, wherein a woman dresses in a business suit, goes to work 6 days a week until sundown, and gets 50 dollars per week, they work hard in their new environment. this nonsense that people migrate to first world countries for the free benefits is beyond silly.

The reserve wage is an interesting point, but I don' see how it applies to illegal immigrants with no source of income other than working illegally.

If one has no money, in order to buy food to avoid starvation, would one not work for whatever wage is available which would support the argument that only an illegal immigrant will do certain jobs so the economy requires illegals or nobody else will do those jobs?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There is a "cottage" industry of brokering marriages for green cards.........and not just with Dominicans.

It is an issue finally being addressed........and long overdue.

The going Dominican price can be anywhere from $5,000-$10,000 dollars per successful green card. Even the addition of an Affidavit of Support now required of the Petitioner has not been able to effectively slow down the fraud.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I can personally confirm this. I know of a Dominican woman here who first obtained a 10 year tourist visa using fraudently created work employment records. Next she went to NYC and was able to get a job and work illegally though the underground connections that Dominicans have there.

She is now in the process of a "sham marriage" that will enable her to get residency. After that step is complete, her marido here in the DR will go to NYC - being sponsored by a relative(I think his brother).

The sham marriage will then be dissolved and she and her marido will get officially married in NYC. Then the chain migration begins as they will next sponsor their kids here in the DR, parents, and other relatives.

Fraud and chain immigratation are a problem and must be stopped, and this example is not unique by any means to just Dominicans.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

It doesn't have to be true or even sensical to get politcal mileage out of something. It just needs to be something that has an emotional kick to it and it will feed on itself.

The reality is that immigrants use less of these social resources than the average citizen, but even with statistics and numbers on your side, try selling that truth.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It doesn't have to be true or even sensical to get politcal mileage out of something. It just needs to be something that has an emotional kick to it and it will feed on itself.

The reality is that immigrants use less of these social resources than the average citizen, but even with statistics and numbers on your side, try selling that truth.

the truth is that many people who have the most erudite commentary on immigrants never met one, nor have the slightest idea about immigrant culture. the reality is that immigrants want the same things that North Americans and Europeans want. they want to send their kids to good schools. they want to buy a house someday. they want to eat at Red Lobster a few times a month. that's right. they do not want to leave their homes in the lovely scenery and climates, to go sit in a weather prison drinking cheap malt liquor. it is a fiction. to go from Punta Cana to Buffalo is a sacrifice...it has to be worth it. food stamps do not make up for the difference lost.

Jan 9, 2004
I can personally confirm this. I know of a Dominican woman here who first obtained a 10 year tourist visa using fraudently created work employment records. Next she went to NYC and was able to get a job and work illegally though the underground connections that Dominicans have there.

She is now in the process of a "sham marriage" that will enable her to get residency. After that step is complete, her marido here in the DR will go to NYC - being sponsored by a relative(I think his brother).

The sham marriage will then be dissolved and she and her marido will get officially married in NYC. Then the chain migration begins as they will next sponsor their kids here in the DR, parents, and other relatives.

Fraud and chain immigratation are a problem and must be stopped, and this example is not unique by any means to just Dominicans.

One of the more high profile cases was Dominican Gabriela Rosa, formerly a Washington Heights assemblywoman, who resigned and plead guilty to marriage/visa fraud and went to prison.

And if that were not enough, she also plead guilty to making false statements in her personal bankruptcy filing.

About time somebody addressed what so many know, the system is riddled with fraud...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i find it quite instructive that whenever we hear these anecdotes about visa fraud, and sham marriages, the exemplars are always Dominicans, or West Indians, or some such people.

we never hear about the prolific marriage scams originating out of places in Europe...

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
the truth is that many people who have the most erudite commentary on immigrants never met one, nor have the slightest idea about immigrant culture. the reality is that immigrants want the same things that North Americans and Europeans want. they want to send their kids to good schools. they want to buy a house someday. they want to eat at Red Lobster a few times a month. that's right. they do not want to leave their homes in the lovely scenery and climates, to go sit in a weather prison drinking cheap malt liquor. it is a fiction. to go from Punta Cana to Buffalo is a sacrifice...it has to be worth it. food stamps do not make up for the difference lost.

Trump's lastest round of "clean up" probably has little or no effect on immigrants. It's just a headline for fox news.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Immigrants in general? Or illegal immigrants in specific?

I am all for legal immigration. I am all in against illegal immigration.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i find it quite instructive that whenever we hear these anecdotes about visa fraud, and sham marriages, the exemplars are always Dominicans, or West Indians, or some such people.

we never hear about the prolific marriage scams originating out of places in Europe...

I don't have any EU relatives, but I do have Dominican relatives. That could explain my knowledge of such.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The reserve wage is an interesting point, but I don' see how it applies to illegal immigrants with no source of income other than working illegally.

If one has no money, in order to buy food to avoid starvation, would one not work for whatever wage is available which would support the argument that only an illegal immigrant will do certain jobs so the economy requires illegals or nobody else will do those jobs?

i brought up the idea of the reservation wage because it varies from place to place. a Haitian in the DR will do a job for a certain cost...a Dominican would not touch it. he would prefer to stay home than do something for 100 pesos, while the Haitian will do it. when the Dominican goes to the US, his reservation wage is lower than a local's. he will pack boxes for 7 dollars per hour, because to him that represents big money.

Jan 9, 2004
Trump's lastest round of "clean up" probably has little or no effect on immigrants. It's just a headline for fox news.

The "cleanup" starts with aggressive prosecution and follow through.........no longer a catch and slap on the wrist;

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/domi...involvement-national-conspiracy-sell-identity

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/citi...-11-years-prison-stolen-identity-refund-fraud

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/...ax-refund-fraud-and-aggravated-identity-theft

http://www.providencejournal.com/ne...-women-sentenced-for-identity-theft-tax-fraud

And there are more.........many more......and likely more to come and be prosecuted..........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Status
Not open for further replies.