New US immigration law impacts Dominicans Dominicantoday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Immigrants in general? Or illegal immigrants in specific?

I am all for legal immigration. I am all in against illegal immigration.

Both. The numbers are inconsequential, but it's a nice sound bite for those predisposed to eat up such things. It makes it sound like Trump is really doing things when reality, ROI is probably negative.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i find it quite instructive that whenever we hear these anecdotes about visa fraud, and sham marriages, the exemplars are always Dominicans, or West Indians, or some such people.

we never hear about the prolific marriage scams originating out of places in Europe...

This is a site about the Dominican Republic. What else would we be discussing? If you want to talk about Europeans, start a thread in Off Topic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i brought up the idea of the reservation wage because it varies from place to place. a Haitian in the DR will do a job for a certain cost...a Dominican would not touch it. he would prefer to stay home than do something for 100 pesos, while the Haitian will do it. when the Dominican goes to the US, his reservation wage is lower than a local's. he will pack boxes for 7 dollars per hour, because to him that represents big money.

That just points out why illegal immigrants are necessary because they will work for less than legal migrants or legal residents. But it does not make it right.

Jan 9, 2004
Both. The numbers are inconsequential, but it's a nice sound bite for those predisposed to eat up such things. It makes it sound like Trump is really doing things when reality, ROI is probably negative.

Here are some "inconsequential" numbers that were stolen by four Dominicans and two Brazilians............that could have been used to actually help people.......

And yes, contrary to belief, and in conjunction with the title of the thread and the related article, Trump really is doing something.......no matter how inconsequential you believe $1.3 billion to be.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/world/2017/07/14/dominicans-nabbed-in-us-medicare-biggest-fraud-ever/

See also:

https://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/feds_charge_25_mostly_dominica.html

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
i find it quite instructive that whenever we hear these anecdotes about visa fraud, and sham marriages, the exemplars are always Dominicans, or West Indians, or some such people.

we never hear about the prolific marriage scams originating out of places in Europe...

In my post I specifically stated that this was not unique to Dominicans.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
to hear some people tell it, people are lining up overnight in a queue at embassies, to get a green card to the USA, where they can sit home all day, dring beer, breed like rabbits, and accomplish nothing...

Your words, not mine.
I think we can both agree there is a percentage of
immigrants living in the united states who have been doing
just that hence some of the changes taking place.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The enforcement of laws is rarely a "winning" game. Does that mean that they should not be enforced?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The enforcement of laws is rarely a "winning" game. Does that mean that they should not be enforced?

There is always crime. Usually, it's a question of how to apply resources effectively to get the best ROI, but when it comes to politics there are often priority inversions. All I'm saying is that this is one of them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is always crime. Usually, it's a question of how to apply resources effectively to get the best ROI, but when it comes to politics there are often priority inversions. All I'm saying is that this is one of them.

brilliant observation. the initiatives are generally rooted in political returns..intended to appeal to specific audiences.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Dis aint bout no propane. No mas free loading. The new Supreme Court will make sure the new policy cant be shot down by local low life judges. A new day.... Thank God

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
All I'm saying is that this is one of them.

All I'm saying is that if you do not have plan to support yourself financially when
choosing to move to (in this case America) another country, perhaps you should
just stay home until you have a plan as it is not and should not be my (keyword
here folks) RESPONSIBILITY to support your broke *ss.

Apr 7, 2014
The benefit is that so few get caught. That is where the benefit of fraud always is by getting away with it.
So few my ass. The got ICE people in all these county courthouses. One misdemeanor conviction and people get their status revoked and deported.

Sent from the Federation Intergalactic space vessel: DromOlax 3B55-90R

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So few my ass. The got ICE people in all these county courthouses. One misdemeanor conviction and people get their status revoked and deported.

We are obviously referring to vastly different things. Oh well, it happens in forum discussions.

Many green card marriages have happened that have not been caught, that is the benefit I am referring to. Those fake marriages will potentially be diminished using more scrutiny.

Apr 7, 2014
One of the more high profile cases was Dominican Gabriela Rosa, formerly a Washington Heights assemblywoman, who resigned and plead guilty to marriage/visa fraud and went to prison.

And if that were not enough, she also plead guilty to making false statements in her personal bankruptcy filing.

About time somebody addressed what so many know, the system is riddled with fraud...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
It also brought light to the Dominican or immigrant concern that citizenship granted is not guaranteed. They can revoke it as easy as you received it.
I dont know about Gabriela Rosa but if she was not born in the US then her next stop after prison is deportation.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I think I mentioned this in another thread awhile back. There was woman in the DR who got US residency through her daughter who lived in the USA (who got her residency through a sham marriage). After residing in the USA for awhile the woman then petitioned for her other adult daughter (40yr) and her children (7yr, 18yr) living in the DR. The adult daughter never worked a day in her life. Turns out daughter was 6 months pregnant when she came to the USA. Had her baby in NY courtesy of emergency Medicaid (program that covers mon for the birth and then just the baby after the birth). The daughter as I said never has worked a day in her life. And has no intentions of working. Example of how broken the "chain immigration process" is.

This is not the only case I am aware of, there are many. When someone is granted the privilege of residing in the USA (or anywhere) should they not contribute to society rather be a "drain" on the system. I have always said it amazes me at times how some people are approved for green cards when they definitely should not, and then there are those who most definitely should be approved and they are turned down. The process is definitely broken IMO.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thank goodness chain immigration is coming to an end. Entire Dominican families have been uprooted and dropped in NYC and other places because of this. Many areas, especially in rural areas of the Cibao Valley, the original families that lived in certain areas for the past 2, 3, 4 or 5 centuries in the last 30 to 40 years left completely. With completely I’m talking about the entire family, including the extended family members. Add to that the remnants of Cibao families that have most of their family members already living in the USA and they are simply waiting for the visa process to conclude for them to leave too.

If it was people with special skills it would be one thing, but for the most part its people that shouldn’t be leaving a country to move to another one. Many don’t have the needed skills or the inclination to gain the skills needed to advance. From their DR campo and from a very young age they learn what is walfare, “sesion 8”, and all the other handouts given by the US government.

Hooefully this will put a stop or at least reduce to a minimum the madness. It doesn’t matter if the person lives very comfortable with maids, private school education, etc; to feel fully realized the person needs to leave the DR. Staying is equivalent to accepting the person is a loser, even if said person lives better than most Dominicans live not just in the DR but also in the rest of the world. Madness!!!

I remember one time Shaleena (the DR1 member) once asked “what’s wrong to living in the DR” when the topic of middle class Dominicans feeling the need to leave the DR in order to feel their lives are fulfilled, even if it implies a drop in the standards of living or not being able to have certain luxuries such as a maid that would clean the house once or twice a week or permanently. When I read her question I simply smiled and left it like that. I though with more exposure to Dominican thinking she will see it, not necessarily understand it completey but see it.

Its a widespread madness. Too many Dominicans that live well and are unhappy with their lives due to the sole reason of not being able to leave the island permanently.

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
do you use propane to cook while you are in the DR? if so, did you know that it is subsidized by the government? they do not prevent you from buying it at the same price that Moises does, do they? ergo, you are benefitting from a government plan to aid low income people, just like the people to whom you allude.

If it is the price on the street it is NOT the same thing that CristoRey was talking about. If you move to the states and benefit from a artificially low price for say solar or wind power (because they receive Gov subsidies or wouldn't exist) then you are benefiting from something that EVERYONE rich or poor benefit equally Your point is apples and oranges.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
It doesn’t matter if the person lives very comfortable with maids, private school education, etc; to feel fully realized the person needs to leave the DR. Staying is equivalent to accepting the person is a loser, even if said person lives better than most Dominicans live not just in the DR but also in the rest of the world. Madness!!!

Dominicans have the need to feel superiors among themselves thus being able to leave the DR, take a trip to Nueva Yol or Miami provides them with the fuel to be the biggest person among their circle of acquaintances.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
and is this difference conceptual, or numerical?

have you done the calculations to establish how much a purchaser actually benefits from a government subsidy?

let us say that people are getting 600 dollars in food stamps, etc. that is a lot.

let us say an expat opens a restaurant. he uses thousands of pesos worth of subsidized propane per month. he converts that investment into a profit.

what then?

Once again apples and oranges. Benefits from subsidies, which someone says no longer exist for all but a credit for the poor, as opposed to benefits initiated especially for low income citizens.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
It's definitely a problem. Anybody that is able to enter the USA can show up at the ER and run up a big bill. It's fairly common for women to travel to the USA to have their baby as it's "free" and the baby is now a citizen of USA.

Other countries require buying insurance or similar to enter the country. Also, the requirements for citizenship are not quite so lax.

Most other countries have also ended the "anchor baby" clause to end the incentive to travel to said country and deliver their baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.