No guards - No gates?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Safety is a personal responsiblity. People that think they are safe because of the "systems" put in place by their government are only fooling themselves. When someone breaks into a house in the US with a shotgun, people find out real quick how uncomforting those 3 numbers actually are.

Do you really think a criminal is worried about gun control laws? After all they do commit murder.

There is only one thing they are worried about, and no it is not the brady bill, it the person at the other end of that (glock, hk, smith and wesson, ruger, winchester, marlin, sig, bernelli, ect...) that is well trained, practices often, doesn't not have to think because it has become a reflex, that is going to send his *** to meet his maker.

Personaly safety is your responsiblity, no one elses. Be responsible. Your family depends on it, in which ever country you choose to live in.

Before you ask, I've had more training by police agencies in the states than much of the military in the DR. I just wish I could find a way to import my AR-15's. :)

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Hey every one, Attention, Attention, read "Gringo In DR"'s post real closely

What you are reading is a common opinion of the men who choose to move to the DR, add to that XR's post about having two live-in guards (we'll practially if not litterally). These are common attitudes on this board, search for La Soga "the Rope" on this board, it will reveal more about the opinion of the members of this board, and I beleive more, a common thread of thought for many US x-patriates that emmigrate to the DR. The siege mentality is an immutable part of thier personality. With gringo wanting to get a hold of his AR-15, makes your wonder why he ever left the US. Robbery and Theft are real concerns in the DR, I have heard of a "compond" rich houses near where I stay in the DR being robbed and the guard killed, a story that was one in a 20 year period, things do happen there and many people take protection. I seen others who live apart for the barrio advertise the fact that they are armed showing me thier 9mm in a casual meeting discussion.

-Lee

Last edited:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Lee maybe you missed this story in yesterday's paper?

Family besieged by tragedy
National Police First Lieutenant Rita Abreu Marmolejos and her husband Miguel Yaport have experienced a sequence of tragedies that has moved Dominicans. Only one year ago, they lost their nine-year-old daughter in a traffic accident at the Villa Altagracia crossing of the Duarte Highway. Now, press reports carry the distressing story of how the couple was brutally murdered in their home. The main suspects are two Haitian construction workers, known only by the names of Jibenzo and Cocobe, one of whom worked as night watchman. The two were employed by the deceased couple for an ongoing construction project at their home. The bodies were found amidst cement block pieces and Abreu's corpse showed evidence of having been brutalized with a pick used in the construction. The bodies were found by their four-year-old son who told an aunt who happened to call that his parents were bathed in blood and would not respond to his calls. Abreu's sister said that there had recently been a discussion with the watchman of the house because he had tightened the collar of a dog to the point where the dog choked. The murder occurred on Saturday, the watchman's day off. A police report says that missing from the couple's home are two guns that were the property of the police lieutenant.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Gringo in DR . . . . and your point is . . . . . . . . ?

That you want to go back to the states?
That you really need every member of your family including children to have guns?
That, that would never happen to you because you keep you weapon on you at all times, and the ones in the newspaper article while owning guns, didn't hold on to them at all times (you sleep with yours).

Please make a point . . . .

Remember: Do you think children are safe because a "system" is put in place by the parents to protect them? Those children are just fooling thmeselves, when someone breaks into thier room with a shotgun, children find out real quick how uncomforting the parental protection system is. Children should be armed for thier own good :) . Give a child a sawed off shotgun or an AR-15 and let him walk to school with it, and I gareentee you, those thugs will think twice before breaking into that Kindgartener's room.

-Lee

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Nov 27, 2003
AZB said:
I live in santiago, far far away from the self-imprisoned gringos in the north coast. This is the real dominican republic as opposed to sosua, cabarete. These places shouldn't be even called dominican republic as the majority of people there are foreigners. The dominicans who are found in such places are domestic workers, hookers and pimps. There isn't a decent dominican in site for miles. The prices are expensive for real estate and the restaurant charge as though they are still in miami. In simple terms you people are getting ripped off there. Many foreigners are acting like the puerto plata low life dominicans there, ex: if you want any information from them, you would have to buy them drinks, feed them in a restaurant first or bring them gifts from USA, canada before you get a word out of their mouths. Often times these foreigners have business plans for you that will benefit them first, without having to put in a penny from their side. There are alot of foreigners who act like sankies and leeches in the north coast area. Most ex-pats are old and drunks who spend time with hookers (or ex-hookers).
All in all, north coast is disgusting and should not be considered a part of DR. There is no dominican culture to be found there except for the hooker culture. Some people claim that the north coast is booming and that businesses are making money. I was there over the long weekend and saw no trace of that. Many restaurants / bars are empty even on weekends. I just don't know how they make ends meet. I was complaining in santiago, but it seems I make more money in a day than many bars make in a week there.
Does anyone ever consider living in Jarabacoa for a change? I mean, do you gringos ever get to leave cabarete or sosua for a while and see other places on this island? I don't mean going away to santo domingo to renew your residency; that doesn't count.
Have a nice day.
AZB

Hi AZB....long time no see...hope youre ok !
Dr. Jim

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Once Again Proving My Point, Thanks Lee

ltsnyder said:
What you are reading is a common opinion of the men who choose to move to the DR ...
I said "... this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how people who choose to take control over their lives feel and think ..." The feelings and thoughts that you ascribe to me are a fantasy. Nothing more. Personally I think it's jealosy over feelings of inadequacy that motivates folks like you and O&C to make such ridiculous posts. How anyone can argue that they're not ultimately responsible for any facet of their own lives is, I will admit, a mystery to me.

Why is it do you think that this is a "common opinion of the men who choose to move to the DR"? Hmmmmm? It's really quite simple. It's because people who rely on nanny governments for everything from home and college loans to health care, who live in fear that their cheesburger is going to give them cancer, or move away from the coast so that when global warming hits they'll still be on dry land, are exactly not the ones that would ever be able to get up the gumption to actually go and live in a place where they actually would have to think and provide for themselves.

All those people who think like you do are too afraid of their own shadows to ever move here. That leaves people who are truly independent and self-reliant as the majority of ex-pats here - of both sexes I might add.

Which leads to the obvious conclusion that the only reason strong willed, independent self-reliant people have their views ridiculed continually by the same two or three posters here is that it's obvious that they are beginning to realize that they themselves long ago traded those very freedoms in exchange for a little temporary comfort, regret it, and can't admit it.

Tom aka XR I saw a subliminal advertising executive. But only for a second.

T

TiberiusMineola

Puerto Plata - w/o Gates ? Yes ! !

If you find Puerto Plata interesting, I suggest you take tours of: Costambar, Altos Cofresi, Villas Cofresi, Torre Alta, Beyardo [spell?], & Playa Cofresi. Nice areas, near the ocean, some foreign dominated, with virtually no gates. Security problems vary; some watchmen, some dogs, some security systems. All in all, life here is tolerable to very pleasurable, occasionally risky - like Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens. Puerto Plata has 100,000 people. AZB has had his honorable Puerto Plata citizenship revoked! Permanently! He has also been ruled ineligible for the 2004 Puerto Plata 'Man of the Year' award. Que viva la Republica!

Mar 21, 2002
XR please. You obviously have no inkling of what you are talking about. What kind of stinking paradise is it where you have to be looking over your shoulder all the time? FYI I am 100% dominican unlike you and I don't have to have an armed entourage plus guns, bats, and knives to feel safe. I'll go anywhere in the DR without all that crap. If you have to live in a siege mentality the best thing you can do is pack up and head back to your country cuz you are giving MY COUNTRY a very bad image. The DR is not the wild west with all your crazed illusions.

BTW it doesn't matter how much protection you got if "they" want to get you they will. Also I wouldn't be so trusting of your live in thugs. In the DR other family members do security work not someone hired or unknown. Those are the ones- non family members- that dan el chivatazo. I'm telling you like a friend, don't be trusting those folks if you care so much about your security. Knowing you though you'll wipe your *** with my advice. From your posts you're a hardheaded see it my way type of guy who is unbending.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

This has less to do with guns than it does about responsibility. Since the beginning of time there have been people that provide for themselves and family, and there have been those that depend on outside sources.

Those that are independent know who they are. Those who are not often like to turn a deaf ear.

Last time I moved back to the states, I was there for 6 months and could not stand the attitude of the majority any longer. I sold what I could and left the rest. I was in Miami for my connecting flight by the time I was late for work.

I don't look over my shoulder, nor do I expect any government agency to do so for me.

As for the DR not being like the wild west, have you not noticed that many dominicans carry guns. Many of those dominicans carry unconcealed guns, just like in the west of old.

What this always comes down to seems to be that people that are self suffient scare the people that are not. XR mentioned that might come from jealously. I'm not sure what it comes from.

I've had plenty of discussions with anti-gun people before. All the while sitting there with a gun concealed on my person. Brandishing is illegal in the US. Here it is legal but not a good idea in my opinion. The element of surprise is an important one.

I've had gun discussions with anti-gun friends in the past. One of them that was absolutely against civilians having guns of any form changed him mind one night.

This incident happened in CT. My buddy was going to the movies with one of his friends and his friends' wife. He had known his friend since they were little kids. They grew up together. When they got to the parking lot at the theater, he stopped near the entrance to let them out of the car. He was going to go park the car. They got out of the car. At that point he noticed a guy walking up to them. As he got closer, he opened his jacket and started to pull out a gun. My buddy didn't know what to do. Without much else to do he punched the gas pedal and left. Now out of danger, he was thinking about the possiblity that he might never see his friends again. Some how that cell phone and 911 seemed completely helpless. He was close to the Police station so he drove there. They dispatched a black and white. Luckily his friends had not been harmed. They were a bit shaken up. They found the guy from the description but he had long since stashed the weapon somewhere. Without the weapon he walked.

My friend now carries a ccw and an hk. He never wanted to have to make a life or death decision but he found out the hard way that those decisions can be forced upon you. It is up to you whether you develop the means to answer them.

As anyone knows, nothing is 100%. Even so most of us choose to wear seat belts. Most of us that ride motorcycles choose to wear a helmet and leathers. Most of us lock our doors. You can call us paranoid for any of those things. That is fine. That is your choice. Live the way you want. We will live the way we want.

If you think the we will live upsets your life, you should do some research.

Take a look at this from ABC news:

Lies, Myths and Downright Stupidity
Stossel's List of Popularly Reported Misconceptions

Myth No. 3 ? Guns are Bad

America is notorious for its culture of gun violence. Guns sometimes do cause terrible harm, and many kids are killed every year in gun accidents. But public service announcements and news stories make it seem as if the accidents kill thousands of kids every year.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, however, fewer than 100 kids 15 and under are killed in gun accidents every year. Of course that's horrible, and I understand why demonstrators say we need more gun control.

But guess what? The Centers for Disease Control recently completed a review of studies of various types of gun control: background checks, waiting periods, bans on certain guns and ammunition. It could not document that these rules have reduced violent crime.

The government wants to say things like the Brady Gun Control Law are making a difference, but they aren't. Some maximum security felons I spoke to in New Jersey scoffed at measures like the Brady law. They said they'll have no trouble getting guns if they want them.

A Justice Department study confirmed what the prisoners said. But get this: the felons say that the thing they fear the most is not the police, not time in prison, but, you, another American who might be armed.

It's a reason many states are passing gun un-control. They're allowing citizens to carry guns with them; it's called concealed carry or right to carry. Some women say they're comforted by these laws.

Many people are horrified at the idea of concealed carry laws, and predict mayhem if all states adopt these laws.

But surprise, 36 states already have concealed carry laws, and not one reported an upsurge in gun crime.

-----------------

If you want hard stats, then look up all the research that John Lott has already done for you.

Talk to who you have to talk to. See who you have to see.
Do what you have to do.

Mar 21, 2002
Your posts are too long and tedious. Keep carrying your guns and that goes for XR too. Just remember in the DR even if you kill another in self defense your gringo *** will never come out of La Victoria. They'll have a field day with you for a lifetime. Don't think being a foreigner or ex-marine means anything. Go to that prison someday or Najayo- you'll see plenty of foreigners festering and rotting away. Don't worry they'll take your money and still keep you there. BYE

Keep truckin Walking Tall ! On a lighter note gringo in DR what was it about the states and its' people that you didn't like.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
O&C I have to laugh, now that's true

If you have a guard that uses a weapon to protect you that's ok. If you think as a x-patriate american that the DR legal system is going to think you personally used a weapon in self defense your a fool. Any Dominican would read the post of any of you on this board would say case closed, guilty as charged. So remember, in the DR, once you use the weapon, don't forget to bend over backwards real . . . real . . far, and kiss your *** goodbye.

:)

-Lee

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Just Couldn't Find the Point in an Argument if it Walked Up and Slapped You.

ltsnyder said:
If you have a guard that uses a weapon to protect you that's ok. If you think as a x-patriate american that the DR legal system is going to think you personally used a weapon in self defense your a fool.
Any time the point is taking responsibility, like a poor marksman you just can't seem to hit the target. Everyone else here gets it. If you don't far be it from any of us to try to explain it to you.

Gringo, you stole my retort line! I was saving old Ben's qutoe for the O&C nonsense, no-read, response I knew was coming next. O&C, thanks for not disappointing. The posts get longer dear boy because you don't understand the obvious, and you don't read what people write, nor understand what they are telling you. You don't respond to the points made, it's always knee-jerk non sequiturs (How did you ever get the knee reflex connected to the computer monitor? You should have that looked at). Then a few fools like me or Gringo have to try harder to make you uinderstand. Not change your opinion. If we could have done that we wouldn't have felt the need to leave.

FYI, I don't have thugs. I have three wonderful nice young guys, two of whom have been with my wife and I and our now three children here for nearly 3 years. They play with the kids, look after the dogs and horses, play pool and horshoes here, cook, clean, and chase the silly poofs like you away from the gate so I can work without interruption. It is a wonderful life!

No one is looking over their shoulder. It's not necessary. I don't live in the States like you do and took responsibility for my life. And that's something from your posts it's obvious you will never understand. I honestly feel sorry for you both.

Tom aka XR Your kid may be an honor student but you're still an idiot!

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
My posts are too long? I'm sorry I posted some information for you to digest. I didn't know that haven't a debate would be too much for you.

I mentioned what I didn't like in the states, the attitude.

As for the rest XR already wrapped it up. You guys want us to answer your questions but simply skip reading ours. That's fine, keep your heads in the sand.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
I now have a minimum of two guys who work for me here at all times. One prowls the grounds at night, the other is here during the day. They both have two-way radios, a machete, and cans of pepper spray. I keep the shotgun. Anyone drops by univited by climbing the fence, and I mean anyone they have orders to hold them, and if they don't stop they will be pepper sprayed and sat on until the police get there. Which here in the hinterlands could be a little while!

We also set up some very simple alarms. Motion sensor lights in parallel tied to howling 300 peso 12V car alarms. Lights are active all day. We have a switch to throw the siren in line at night.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a couple pairs of eyes walking around the property. Most would be burglars see that and just move on to the next place.
(editied to shorten content)

...I think XR has answered the orginal posters questions very extremely well. His only reference to weapons is that the gun is in the residence. His care in handling his security seems resonable given his location and the size of his property. He also is giving steady employment to his workers and providing a safe environment for them as well as his family. It is a well thought out and specific security plan.
There are many farms here in Canada that have similar security plans in place do in part to the remoteness of thier locations, size and distance away from authorities to help in a crisis.(Hard to call in the RCMP/OPP in the middle of winter when a 450 pound young male black bear is charging through your back door while you are eating breakfast/how about when vandals think its a big joke to ram your fencing down and your beef herd is no were to be seen/biker gangs do a ride by and then decide your farm house looks like a great place to rob/squat and cause havic for the night./some local kook decides to show boat and go around setting fire to your barn in the middle of the night)(family experiences)
Self reliance is the key to feeling secure anywhere in the world. City living and country living have different priorities when it comes to security. Here is to hoping that the orginal poster sees the information given as an example to guide them in developing thier own security plan based on thier current or future location and live as comfortably and as safely as they are able.
Keep up the good work XR, your contributions to DR1 are some of the more enlightening and detailed information available. Doing what is right for your family is the true testiment of a persons character.
Toby

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
Onions&carrots said:
XR please. You obviously have no inkling of what you are talking about. What kind of stinking paradise is it where you have to be looking over your shoulder all the time? FYI I am 100% dominican unlike you and I don't have to have an armed entourage plus guns, bats, and knives to feel safe. I'll go anywhere in the DR without all that crap. If you have to live in a siege mentality the best thing you can do is pack up and head back to your country cuz you are giving MY COUNTRY a very bad image. The DR is not the wild west with all your crazed illusions.

At this risk of being told to shut the hell up since I DONT live in DR......here goes..........

I think what the "gringos" are trying to get across is that BECAUSE they are gringos they are more frequently targeted, and they dont necesarily have to flash their money or possessions, but you HAVE to admit that dominicans see someone that doesnt look like ur everyday tipo, and there curiosity is aroused and they wonder, plot and them EL CHIVATASO.....

Who is going to break into thier neighbors shack to steel their old pots, the same pots, and crap they got themselves at "la sirena?"!!!!

They want from that guy that looks like he has more then them....my brother in law was there with his wife two months ago...BOTH dominican, born there, live here in the US....anyhow, he's as white as they come, almost albino, everyone thought he was a gringo and would talk about him in his face without realising, his wife is a morenita typical dominican looking....they both made the mistake of using their credit cards to purchase something (long story) but yes they recognise now it was VERY foolish, and guess what? at the SAME store they both purchased his card number was stolen and half a million pesos was charged on his account.....she went in later to purchase and nothing happened? why, cause the cashier probably figure "ah, shes another broke b*tch like me and prob doesnt have a high credit limit", she saw him and thought "hmm a gringo's credit card HAS to have a high limit"......

point is that you are def targeted because of who u are and what you appear to have.....therefore our gringo friends HAVE NO CHOICE but to be extra careful in a country where poverty and the desire to have more and better things is rampant.....

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
gringo in dr, I thought your "long winded post" was fine, and right on target

gringo in dr said:
My posts are too long? I'm sorry I posted some information for you to digest. I didn't know that haven't a debate would be too much for you.

I mentioned what I didn't like in the states, the attitude.

As for the rest XR already wrapped it up. You guys want us to answer your questions but simply skip reading ours. That's fine, keep your heads in the sand.

I would not quote it here, because it is too long, but I feel you let people know you position and who you are personality wise. Takes a well balanced person to do that. I'd like to quote it in it's entierty to freinds.

-Lee

BeachBum999

Mar 6, 2004
Thank you for some great phrases

XanaduRanch said:
Your kid may be an honor student but you're still an idiot!

I just want to tell you how much I appreciate you sharing some really good (like above mentioned) phrases with us. Good taste! I mean it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert said:
AZB - Obviously business is bad in Santiago right now.

Are you going for the record of most generalizations in one post?
What on earth are you talking about Robert. Although I love the beach and snorkeling the reef here, I think it is just as beautiful at the reef in Santiago.

Funny thing is that I find the prices the same in Santiago as the restaurants I frequent on the North Coast but what the heck.

I am just glad I don't have to make a living here and need to be in a clusterfluck city that has vicious awful smog, traffic and inner city dirt. Other than that Santiago is one hell of a place to live:)

On the other hand, I am thankful for the gated community and the guards at the gate. Keeps the trash out for the most part and me happy and content. Glad I don't have to padlock myself in my home when I go to sleep because of this like my buddy AZB. I am also glad I don't have to keep my Scooter in my dining room like my buddy AZB even though his gates are padlocked at night.

Please don't anyone tell my buddy AZB that real estate prices are generally more expensive when you are close to the beach/shore/water. Please don't tell him that if there was a demand for R.E. in Santiago the prices would be as HIGH there as on the North Coast. Please don't tell him about supply and demand because this theory is just a BS Abstraction to my Buddy. I think he hates Sosua because it was founded by Jews. Why is it that he come here so often? Ah, nevermind, it was the Mossad and CIA that bombed the world trade center anyway. Stay tuned to CNN folks:)

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I live "nextdoor" to a general in the National Police.

He told me NOT to shoot anyone if I could help it! For all the reasons listed above,like sitting in Najayo for a few years!He also said that if you "wound" somone,they may come back to get you,or if you kill someone,his family or friends may come looking! He is not bothered by any of the "above",so he takes care of my "Problems"!I have the tall fence,and 3 dogs! CC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
What on earth are you talking about Robert. Although I love the beach and snorkeling the reef here, I think it is just as beautiful at the reef in Santiago.

Funny thing is that I find the prices the same in Santiago as the restaurants I frequent on the North Coast but what the heck.

I am just glad I don't have to make a living here and need to be in a clusterfluck city that has vicious awful smog, traffic and inner city dirt. Other than that Santiago is one hell of a place to live:)

On the other hand, I am thankful for the gated community and the guards at the gate. Keeps the trash out for the most part and me happy and content. Glad I don't have to padlock myself in my home when I go to sleep because of this like my buddy AZB. I am also glad I don't have to keep my Scooter in my dining room like my buddy AZB even though his gates are padlocked at night.

Please don't anyone tell my buddy AZB that real estate prices are generally more expensive when you are close to the beach/shore/water. Please don't tell him that if there was a demand for R.E. in Santiago the prices would be as HIGH there as on the North Coast. Please don't tell him about supply and demand because this theory is just a BS Abstraction to my Buddy. I think he hates Sosua because it was founded by Jews. Why is it that he come here so often? Ah, nevermind, it was the Mossad and CIA that bombed the world trade center anyway. Stay tuned to CNN folks:)

Now I must defend myself.
The scooter is inside for now because there is a heavy construction going on in the back yard. There was an inch of cement dust on it when I left it outside. Imagine rain mixed with cement, I would have a permanent coat of cement for life. The scooter will go out as soon as the construction is over. Besides, I haven't ridden the damn thing in 4 years, do you think it still runs? Its for my little nephew who comes to ride the thing when he visits me.

Smog???? what smog? I have yet to see one.
Now my rent in santiago is less than most of you guys pay in maintanance fee at your luxuary condos. I can even get to do a BBQ in tha backyard, can you light up a grill without having your neighbor complain about the smoke, noise etc?
The restaurants are cheaper in santiago. Escott, the seafood lunch we had at the restaurant inside the department store was less than 300 pesos for 3 people, including a coke and bottles of water. You can enjoy your meal and actually be able to drink and talk at open air restaurants without having those sosua ugly slimy hookers all over you. In fact, those ugly hookers are forbidden from entering santiago. They are all reserved for gringos who pay premium for dominican trash at the touristy areas.
Now the business in north coast: except for a few fortunate/smart foreign owned businesses, the area is dead. Just see how many people are sitting and eating at restaurants anywhere? The bars have more hookers than clients. I can't imagine how these people are actually being able to stay open and pay their bills. They must be all connected illegally to the electric because at that pace, they can't be able to pay even their electrical bill.
There is no cultural of social values to be found in the north coast all you see is retired gringos with young hooker wives and dominican street thugs, ugliest hookers in the world and low life scums.
I say, you can all have the beach and the UBHs and be happy there. We all feel better at where we belong. Home is where the heart is content.
have a nice day.
AZB