Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Some sites are just opening - like Abreu (between Cabrera & RSJ) -
It opened today and they adhering to the 70 rule

Until any site sees reduced traffic, I expect they'll follow the guidelines

My little hide-away has been operating a week and are now taking the 60 crowd
But a really small, rural area....... not too populated

Aug 21, 2007
It's hard to describe but it's on the left on the main road going up the hill towards Jamao, set back a little from the road. I can't remember exactly what the sign says but it says something that made me think it was the place. They did say I would need a cedula.
It is a little vaccination clinic, Whirleybird.....on the left just before the Catholic Church. It is set down off the road a little and is easy to miss if you are not sure what you are looking for, but ask someone. They will tell you where to go.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, we stopped in at Union medica IN SANTIAGO TODAY AND THERE ARE NO VACCINATIONS UNTIL MONDAY AND THEN IT IS OVER 70, WE WERE TOLD IT WAS ONLY GOING BY AGE.
Location, Location, Location. Different strokes for different folks in different places. How odd for the DR.

NOT.

Aug 21, 2007
Location, Location, Location. Different strokes for different folks in different places. How odd for the DR.

NOT.

Not odd. It was determined by number of cases in specific areas and provinces. You and others wanting the vaccine are judging from your experience and word of mouth, but do not know how the distribution plan was determined.

....perhaps the error is in faulty communication and not the plan outlay itself.

Reactions: Caonabo

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The one thing I am still confused about is that some are saying that it has to be a cedula which is presented whilst others are saying either cedula or passport. Is this a variable at different vaccination sites?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Both residents and nonresidents seem to be able to get a shot.

Residents use either - cedula/passport\
Nonresidents only have the passport

We're not sure if the passport acceptance is nationwide..... but there are several instances reported

Reactions: whirleybird

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Both residents and nonresidents seem to be able to get a shot.

Residents use either - cedula/passport\
Nonresidents only have the passport

We're not sure if the passport acceptance is nationwide..... but there are several instances reported
I am specifically asking regarding the vaccination sites at Los Brazos and Jamao which are the closest to me?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As WW says above, the use of just a passport as identification at a vaccination site seems to vary by location and can change from day to day. It was recently reported that the clinic in Puerto Plata has stopped accepting passports. I don't think anyone knows if this is a permanent change in policy or a temporary one or even this is an official directive to not accept passports any longer. Being eligible for the vaccine based on age seems to be a fairly constant requirement but even this has been shown to vary from location to location time to time. For those who cannot call and ask the pertinent questions, just go to the clinic and see what happens may be the best course of action. The worst that can happen is you are turned away. At best, you get inoculated. Like lots of processes here, you just don't know the result until you try. I would encourage those wishing to be vaccinated to not be intentionally deceitful. It is only due to the generosity of the Government and the people of this country that foreigners are being included in the Vacune RD program. It would be a shame if our group's perception becomes tarnished by frequent and blatantly intentional abuse. It's one thing to provide correct information and be accepted and another entirely different scenario to provide false or misleading information for personal advantage over someone else who may be at greater risk. Good luck to all who are trying to be vaccinated. I believe in the end, the more people vaccinated the better off we all will eventually be.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
As WW says above, the use of just a passport as identification at a vaccination site seems to vary by location and can change from day to day. It was recently reported that the clinic in Puerto Plata has stopped accepting passports. I don't think anyone knows if this is a permanent change in policy or a temporary one or even this is an official directive to not accept passports any longer. Being eligible for the vaccine based on age seems to be a fairly constant requirement but even this has been shown to vary from location to location time to time. For those who cannot call and ask the pertinent questions, just go to the clinic and see what happens may be the best course of action. The worst that can happen is you are turned away. At best, you get inoculated. Like lots of processes here, you just don't know the result until you try. I would encourage those wishing to be vaccinated to not be intentionally deceitful. It is only due to the generosity of the Government and the people of this country that foreigners are being included in the Vacune RD program. It would be a shame if our group's perception becomes tarnished by frequent and blatantly intentional abuse. It's one thing to provide correct information and be accepted and another entirely different scenario to provide false or misleading information for personal advantage over someone else who may be at greater risk. Good luck to all who are trying to be vaccinated. I believe in the end, the more people vaccinated the better off we all will eventually be.
This still does not answer my question!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure there a definitive answer for your question available here on DR1. At least not until someone with a passport goes to one of the clinics you want to make us of. If transportation is not an issue for you, I'd suggest you just go and try with your passport. That has worked elsewhere including in Sosua on Saturday. It has worked at other clinics as well for several days in a row. I'm sure some places are still accepting just passports but you won't know until you call and ask or go and try.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So yes whirleybird the use of just a passport does seems to be variable based on time and location and whoever is screening on that given day. With a Cedula no issues. With a foreign passport possibly no issues but no guarantee.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I went to the clinic at the Ayuntamiento in Sosua yesterday. It was a sh*t show. I was there from 7.30 in the morning till 2.30 in the afternoon. They didn't have enough chairs; there was no information about what number the staff were up to; duplicate numbers were given. After waiting 6 hours, I finally got into the tent and the Civil Defense worker asked for cedulas. There was a group of Canadians in the tent at the same time who did not have cedulas, and I don't know if they were denied the vaccine, but they left the tent. I have provisional residencia and that card was accepted, even though it's expired (because I couldn't renew it bc of pandemic closing of migracion offices; renewal papers are currently in process). The staff were very kind and professional, although I must note that most of the Civil Defense workers, who were processing papers, were not masked.

I've had no reaction to the injection---no headache, no itchiness or irritation at the injection site. I have my date to return for round 2. I hope they get it together for round 2.

Aug 21, 2007
Whirlybird, I prefer not to ask this question to those in charge of the clinic. It gives them an opportunity to say no to you without saying it to your face. My recommendation is the same as the others. Just go. I am the only ex-Pat here in Jamao and they seem to think that I represent all ex-pats. So, they might even try to make an exception for you in order to please me. Just go.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Meems, if we apply logic to the next Sosua clinic one would think that proof of a first shot will be the ticket for getting in line next time around. That is assuming Public Health remembers all those people in Sosua are expecting the clinic to return in a month.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirlybird, I prefer not to ask this question to those in charge of the clinic. It gives them an opportunity to say no to you without saying it to your face. My recommendation is the same as the others. Just go. I am the only ex-Pat here in Jamao and they seem to think that I represent all ex-pats. So, they might even try to make an exception for you in order to please me. Just go.
I hope/ will try to go tomorrow Lindsey

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Meems, if we apply logic to the next Sosua clinic one would think that proof of a first shot will be the ticket for getting in line next time around. That is assuming Public Health remembers all those people in Sosua are expecting the clinic to return in a month.
Yes, and assuming they have set aside enough vaccine so there is enough to give everyone who got the first to get second

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I went to the clinic at the Ayuntamiento in Sosua yesterday. It was a sh*t show. I was there from 7.30 in the morning till 2.30 in the afternoon. They didn't have enough chairs; there was no information about what number the staff were up to; duplicate numbers were given. After waiting 6 hours, I finally got into the tent and the Civil Defense worker asked for cedulas. There was a group of Canadians in the tent at the same time who did not have cedulas, and I don't know if they were denied the vaccine, but they left the tent. I have provisional residencia and that card was accepted, even though it's expired (because I couldn't renew it bc of pandemic closing of migracion offices; renewal papers are currently in process). The staff were very kind and professional, although I must note that most of the Civil Defense workers, who were processing papers, were not masked.

I've had no reaction to the injection---no headache, no itchiness or irritation at the injection site. I have my date to return for round 2. I hope they get it together for round 2.
Yes, the paper processors were not wearing masks and also were very slow

Aug 21, 2007
Whirleybird and others - do NOT go to Los Brazos or Jamao today or tomorrow for the vaccine. Although last week they said that they would vaccinate us on Monday or Tuesday (and I have messages from the doctor responsible for the clinics saying so), he now says that this week they will vaccinate the teachers and not us......and the Strength for the Journey teachers (who have teaching degrees) are not included.

I guess I had given Jamao too much credit. All week, the team sat around twiddling their thumbs because nobody was there, but even so, they feel like little kinds because they have the almighty vaccine and they are making the rules.

I typically am extremely patient with the backward, cumbersome processes here in Jamao. But this is too much! I will wait until the next time the medical personnel here ask to borrow the Strength for the Journey truck again. And I will remind them of this.

If anything changes (and it always does), I will let you know.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Wish I had known....i was there this morning. You are correct, there is no screening. I was told they are doing 60+...so that is why I went. You fill out an informtion sheet (its all in spanish) basically just asks if you have had the flu, fever, allergies etc. Do you have any conditions and there are several listed ie hypertension, cancer etc.
Then you sit and wait. Some man (who was there for the vaccine) actually got everyone organized and moved us efficiently. When i was finally at the nurse...you hand in information sheet and id. I chose to use my passport as i want that id number on the vaccine card for travel. No questions re residency although i do have it. They asked mybage and where i lived. Thats it.
Am i to understand that hypertension is a condition whereby it is not recomnended to receive the vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.