north coast roads report - 2019

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Caution.....Allow extra time heading west to POP, road widening is in full swing and one way traffic flagmen are ojt workers. (ojt= on the job training).Especially tricky by LaUnion with all the pedestrians crossing.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I took the PP to SD road about two weeks ago and it was worse than I have ever seen it. The rain did not help.
Signs saying slow down for construction, men working and machines working. It was a week day and there was not one single person working on the road.
This road is very dangerous.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Drove Ruta Turistica a few days ago.
About 40% beautifully complete.
60% unpaved to very rough.
Good progress but not ready for prime time.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
so apparently ruta turistica is 75% completed and will be inaugurated in august:
http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=29295

I took it about 2 weeks ago. The finished parts are great but NO WAY 75% complete. The north side still has plenty of time to go. I remember when Danilo did the inauguration for the new road from Autopista Duarte to San Jose de Ocoa (at Pierdra Blanca) I had to go to SJO so I thought great I'll take that. The first couple of miles were great then DIRT. I asked a guy working on the road how much was like this (hoping just a small section near the river needed completion) and found out the rest of the way (maybe 25 kilometers) were dirt/gravel).
It will be great when completed but I'd bet a lot it won't be by August.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I am so glad that next year there be elections because the road from El Estrech to La Isabela might see a grader it happens every election and not between. Well every election they say they are going to pave it too. Ha Ha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we took the regular road from PP to santiago today and it's way better. a nice stretch of the road close to palmar grande is now completely fixed, for example. llano de perez and imbert, all the way to the luperon exit are asphalted too. and they were putting new road surface around la colorada today. sadly, the layer of the asphalt looks about as thick as the skin of a vegan feminist so it's not likely to last past the hurricane season but so far so good.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
These road projects involve a few layers of responsibility -- I'm told

Asphalto is the Republica's part.....
at least it is in Cabrera

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Passed thru Nagua yesterday...
Lots of road work.... near Nagua.... west of....

Blacktop going down.....large lines waiting in both directions
Traffic is single lane for a distance

Allow for some extra time

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
we took the regular road from PP to santiago today and it's way better. a nice stretch of the road close to palmar grande is now completely fixed, for example. llano de perez and imbert, all the way to the luperon exit are asphalted too. and they were putting new road surface around la colorada today. sadly, the layer of the asphalt looks about as thick as the skin of a vegan feminist so it's not likely to last past the hurricane season but so far so good.

I will be using that somewhere: "thick as the skin on vegan feminist"..

It is better to look good than to be good when it comes to the Presidential asphalt inspection.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The road over the mountains from Sabaneta to Moca(Hwy 21) is in pretty bad shape overall. From Sabaneta to a little ways past Jamao it's very good, but gets progressively worse after that. No big tire/rim busting potholes like before, but the surface is in very bad condition and very rough with small potholes, especially after Palo Alto.

From La Cumbre down to San Victor there has to be at least a dozen spots where laterals were dug across the road in order to install storm drains underneath. It would have been very easy to cover these with asphalt, but were instead just covered over with coliche and are so bad that you need to almost come to a complete stop to pass over them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The road over the mountains from Sabaneta to Moca(Hwy 21) is in pretty bad shape overall. From Sabaneta to a little ways past Jamao it's very good, but gets progressively worse after that. No big tire/rim busting potholes like before, but the surface is in very bad condition and very rough with small potholes, especially after Palo Alto.

From La Cumbre down to San Victor there has to be at least a dozen spots where laterals were dug across the road in order to install storm drains underneath. It would have been very easy to cover these with asphalt, but were instead just covered over with coliche and are so bad that you need to almost come to a complete stop to pass over them.

Sounds absolutely wonderful and will avoid going this way until some day it may be in good repair again.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Huelga in Jamao this morning. Route to Moca completely cut off. Had to turn around and go to Santiago via POP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2007
Do not try to drive the route through Jamao. Police are shooting guns. Molotov cocktails are being thrown. Glass all over the street. All local businesses are closed. This is not the way to solve problems but poor uneducated people do desperate things.

Lindsey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I returned to the DR earlier this week on a JetBlue early AM flight into Santiago. There were signs of a huelga even then, with the taxi driver having to avoid the remains of a burnt tire in the road. Not good. Especially when going 60 MPH (not KPH) down that hill at 3 AM.

Now it has escalated into shooting.

What is the protest about? Fuel prices? Electricity? Water? All the above?