north coast roads report - 2019

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
How about the road passing POP airport. Is it finished as yet being redone? I tried it 2 months ago and turned back. In real life there would be no question, but here?
Derfish

Aug 21, 2007
I recommend that you wait until later today to travel the mountain road through Jamao. The streets are still a mess this morning. The people participating in the huelga used baseball bats to break all the electric meters on the main road in town. Trash cans were spilled out and fires set. Still trash in the street.

I went down to Cabarete yesterday in the mid afternoon, when it is was hot to be making mischief in the street. There were trees across the road in places. Rocks in other places. But I could get through. At 4:00 when I returned, I encountered a fire in the street just past Los Brazos.

The locals are mad and are intent on carrying on these activities until we receive more than a few hours of electricity a day and running water. Sometimes here in Jamao and neighboring communities, water does not run for weeks at a time. Because of the location, only one small water truck can bring water (which is pumped from the river.)

Regardless, I suggest you avoid the road today and if you must travel it, wait until the afternoon. I can see the road from my house and so far, there is no vehicle traffic, only motos.

Lindsey

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
The tourist rd. all the way up to Yasica sucks but from Yasica all the way to Santiago is excellent, maybe another 6 months the rd. will be complete.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
We took the Carretera Turistica on Sunday. I found it to be in good shape. There are 4-5 short spots where the black top has not been applied but in general the road is very good as well as the work done to stop rock falls. The days of pot holes are over for now. I remember a time not too long ago that the road was barely passable. We will be using the road from now on to go to/from Santiago.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I returned to the DR earlier this week on a JetBlue early AM flight into Santiago. There were signs of a huelga even then, with the taxi driver having to avoid the remains of a burnt tire in the road. Not good. Especially when going 60 MPH (not KPH) down that hill at 3 AM.

Now it has escalated into shooting.

What is the protest about? Fuel prices? Electricity? Water? All the above?

Knowing you I am amazed you let them drive the least bit fast..

My wife still laughs at me each time.
As I get in the taxi I ask that they turn the radio off and slow down.
This is before we start moving.
Drivers look at me like I am nuts and the wife rattles off in Spanish how I am only a little crazy but I tip good.
Driver smiles and we go along in a more or less safer fashion.
I plan on dying some day but not in a taxi.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I drove over and back on Carretera Turistica recently and it is pretty impressive on how well it is coming along. It is plenty wide enough in many areas to pass some of the almost stationary vehicles but in pure Dominican style they like to "almost" drive in the middle of the road making harder than it should be.
Overall a commendable job, I just wish they prepped the ground and laid the asphalt correctly so it would last longer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We took the Carretera Turistica on Sunday. I found it to be in good shape. There are 4-5 short spots where the black top has not been applied but in general the road is very good as well as the work done to stop rock falls. The days of pot holes are over for now. I remember a time not too long ago that the road was barely passable. We will be using the road from now on to go to/from Santiago.
We took that road from Santiago on Wednesday. What a pleasant surprise! Even the unpaved section near the north coast road is not that bad, and it's clear work is being done in the washout areas before they get paved.

Very wide and well-engineered drainage.

I'm gonna carve it up on a bike next weekend. Anybody care to ride with me?

We drove back on the main road, and once again, impressive. Not that much construction left, mainly around the new cruise port. I almost didn't recognize the road.

The CT is our new go-to road to the North Coast.

Also: the road from Santiago to Juncalito is complete and awesome!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
And so the President Medina makes one visit to the North Coast and now they are "accelerating" the work on the Puerto Plata to Navarette road.

https://detrasdelrumor.com.do/2019/...truccion-en-carretera-puerto-plata-navarrete/

Maybe he should get out more often.

This project has been under construction for 6 years and is some of the sloppiest work being done in DR.

I would say fire whoever was involved and bring in new engineers and contractors. Probably they are instead offering "incentives" to complete it a little faster.
My bet is it will still be under construction next year too

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you bring in someone new that knows what they are doing, chances are the road will have to be ripped up and the project started over.

Besides, by the time this road work is completed, it will be time to begin repairing the surface from Km 0

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Quite long delays yesterday both ways going through Los Charamicos, Sosua due to re-surfacing. Of course it wasn't helped by people being unable to wait their turn in a single line and then going from two lines to three. Patience doesn't seem to be a Dominican virtue.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Quite long delays yesterday both ways going through Los Charamicos, Sosua due to re-surfacing. Of course it wasn't helped by people being unable to wait their turn in a single line and then going from two lines to three. Patience doesn't seem to be a Dominican virtue.

Yep - I turned around and gave up after 1/2 hour delay yesterday. Today : not ONE road paving worker both going to PP at 10 am and returning around 2pm. NOT ONE ! 5 or 6 guys working on the curbs near entrance to Casa 21.

What a fiasco

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Yep - I turned around and gave up after 1/2 hour delay yesterday. Today : not ONE road paving worker both going to PP at 10 am and returning around 2pm. NOT ONE ! 5 or 6 guys working on the curbs near entrance to Casa 21.

What a fiasco

Maybe they are running a bit ahead of schedule on the project.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

What a fiasco

I think it is because of heavy rain on Sunday night. Better to let the substrate dry out for adhesion.
I have a novel suggestion pave one lane into Sosua then one coming back then fill the middle to eliminate dust. The only problem is the middle may trap some water in the lower areas but it might save a few people from respitory failure

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
How long do you think the surface is going to last near Caribe Tours? Monday they were paving over mud and it seems to be very thin layer of asphalt.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
How long do you think the surface is going to last near Caribe Tours? Monday they were paving over mud and it seems to be very thin layer of asphalt.

5 months before holes start popping off. There are a few already on the way to Puerto Plata, one past Cangrejo Bridge and others starting in Sosua Abajo