Not being too flashy for Santo Domingo

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Ok, lets not get too excited about a few rich americans driving cars to show of to the poor Dominicans. I am sure that this place is not like the Monte Carlo that you describe it to be. I was in La Romana 4 years ago and all i saw were motor bikes and beat up pick ups. In any event I will come and see for myself but I am sure that anybody who can afford 15k for a car would be a target in a desperate third world country.

Even in the poorest third world country, there is a elite class who has wealth (by wealth, I mean wealth, since 1% owns 99% of the wealth). You don't think these people would be driving Honda Accord don't you ?

I think you are joking.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
but I am sure that anybody who can afford 15k for a car would be a target in a desperate third world country.

You can be sure that anyone driving a 15K car will be a target if he doesn't keep up his monthly payments, 15K initial could get you a down payment on something you might clear over 3-5 years, maybe!

Do you have any idea what area of town you will be living in, what your rental budget is?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
you'll need three cars. one, a daily beater for stuff around town. then you need a "good" car, BMW, mercedes, newer japanese, for trips out of town, you know, SD to PC for the weekend, then you need an L200 mini-pickup to take care of your "stuff", hauling furniture, tossing out the old sofa, bringing home tropical plants, rattan table, etc. the daily "beater" can be an 88 nissan, this way you can let any friends or help drive it, plus it's good on gas and easy to fix, already pre-dinged. it wouldn't hurt to get a small-2 wheel scooter to really cut down and save on the gas. instead of one expensive car, for the price of this expensive car, i could have all four vehicles. with a "beater" you'll get to learn the ropes as to who can and will fix what, make some friends at the same time, learn spanish. it doesn't cost more, it is just spreading your money, covering all bases. if you pull into my tire shop in Altimira with a flat on your "cayenne" who do you think will win? before you know it, one of those vehicles will be your lover and i can probably get 3 out of 4 for less than price of an 08 accord. many on this board will insist upon SUV, 4WD, to smooth over the bumps in the road. i've learned to drive the smaller toyota around the bumps, once i know the route. i was once on a rained out road in the mountains, the locals just picked up my 3 cylinder daihatsu, 4 dr, and carried it accross the the river. everybody in the land rover got no sympathy.....................

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
This must be a wind-up?
The last time I was in SD, there were two RR Phantoms, new model, next to each other and one RR phantom convertible being chauffeur driven with a DR baseball player and my poor car was parked between a new Carrera S and a Maserati. There are more Rangies and Cayennes etc.per square mile than you will ever see any where else.

Honda Civic? 2011, August?

Give me a break!!

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
To illustrate the point a friend who happens to be a member here, once told me that one night after taking a young lady to see a movie I believe it was in the Bella Vista Mall or whatever it is called, he came out of the Mall to the parking lot, and the first thing he saw was two, not one but two Bentleys parked side by side in the lot. That didn't even cause an eyebrow to be raised. Nothing special in some areas of Santo Domingo.

I believe there may have been 2 Bentleys outside the Bella Vista Mall, but that's "Nothing special in some areas of Santo Domingo"? What neighborhood is it that Bentleys are so commonplace that they don't raise an eyebrow?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I think we can all agree that there is a sector of the D.R. population that is wealthy and owns luxury vehicles, and another sector that is upper middle class who own nice vehicles, AND a working class sector, AND an impoverished sector. All as in any other place in the world.

There are a few posters that harm their credibility, (and appear as myopic as the OP), by insisting that there is some kind of OVERABUNDANCE of luxury vehicles, and by extension, wealth. I'm sure there are MANY places in the world with just as many or more "hot rides". It's also interesting to note the particular vehicles these posters use as examples, but that's a whole other discussion. I'm not sure why it takes overstating the facts to try to make a point.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Maybe just an over abundance of pimps and drug dealers ? they seem to be doing well even as the economy spirals down and both types love flashy stuff. gimme a break with all this tripe.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~The sad reality of it all is.....in the end the vehicles are just vehicles....They get you from point "A" to "B" period...flashy or not....

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
~The sad reality of it all is.....in the end the vehicles are just vehicles....They get you from point "A" to "B" period...flashy or not....

In America that's it.

In the DR they are a social status symbol, they can make the difference in whether you are treated good or bad whenever you arrive at a place. They can even make the difference on business deals believe it or not. People prefer to pay the guy with the Mercedes than the guy who roams around in taxi, besides it creates an illusion of leverage on negotiations.

Jan 3, 2003
Ok, lets not get too excited about a few rich americans driving cars to show of to the poor Dominicans. I am sure that this place is not like the Monte Carlo that you describe it to be. I was in La Romana 4 years ago and all i saw were motor bikes and beat up pick ups. In any event I will come and see for myself but I am sure that anybody who can afford 15k for a car would be a target in a desperate third world country.

FACT-Over 60% of the DR population earns less than 10,000 PESOS a month. That's pesos not dollars. You're talking at a rate of 40 to the dollar (pretty soon will be there) 250 measly US bucks per month. That's the top end of income on the lower scale. Many earn way less than that. DR population is 10 million so 6 million live in abject poverty supplemented with dollar and euro remittances.

FACT-No matter how many Mercedes, Ferarris, Porsches you see all of that wealth is a micro-percentage of the total population centered around a few square miles of this entire nation.

FACT-The DR gov't is teetering on insolvency as evidenced by my latest post in the RECESSION thread. When their Ponzi tactics of counting borrowed money as economic growth comes to an end, the realization of a covered-up depression will come to the forefront.

FACT-The vast overwhelming majority of Dominicans get around by public transport, motor bikes, walking and donkeys.

FACT-If you are at the few square miles where all the wealth is, you're safe. Anywhere else on the tens of thousands of square miles you risk terrain damage, environmental damage, damage from other vehicles especially heavy construction vehicles like dump trucks shooting rocks from their load which will crack your front window to pieces.

It happened to me as two brand new cars-one a SUV and another a 4 door sedan-were turned into junk after repeated clashes with environmental-terrain difficulties, other cars and dump trucks raining down pebbles cracking windshields to pieces.

SIDENOTE-All of those fancy shmancy SUV's and luxury cars look so immaculate and pristine because they drive around the same few square miles where they are environmentally safe to drive. If they dared to drive them around like I did, they would be turned into metal junk heaps within months. That's how I trashed a white golden emblazed Porsche Cayenne within two months and the 4-door sedan was not even operable.

Going up the mountains around Constanza and adjacent areas will turn any SUV no matter how expensve into junk. Other produce vehicles, those Daihatsu flatbeds will slice open your sides as oncoming traffic or as they pass you. One SUV I had was split on the side as a Daihatsu flatbed with metal pipes passed me and cut open the Toyota Landcruiser's side like a sardine box.

That's the innocuous environmental aspect. Then you got the criminals who will be looking at your- what others allege here as- a simple car one to be had since most Dominicans do not own a car. So, be aware of your surroundings and realize there aren't really too many places you'll be able to drive it if safety (environmentally, physically and monetarily) are a concern.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
FACT-No matter how many Mercedes, Ferarris, Porsches you see all of that wealth is a micro-percentage of the total population centered around a few square miles of this entire nation.

SIDENOTE- If they dared to drive them around like I did, they would be turned into metal junk heaps within months.

1. Obviously this person (troll?) is going to likely stay in those square miles. Most of us that live in the capital probably spend a majority of time in the same space.

2. No on cares how YOU drive.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Bottom line when it comes to being a target --- don't worry so much about what the CAR looks like --- be more concerned about what YOU look like ....

:cool:

Jan 3, 2003
1. Obviously this person (troll?) is going to likely stay in those square miles. Most of us that live in the capital probably spend a majority of time in the same space.

2. No on cares how YOU drive.

If he stays in those areas, he'll be fine.

I was driving carefully. It was those around me that weren't driving carefully, LOL.

Most here shouldn't get all worked up over wealth. Many who have expensive cars have invested all their wealth into their expensive car. So, they really aren't wealthy.

As a an agro-family that we once were, we saw plenty of "campesinos" reap a good harvest making millions of pesos and then turn around, pluck down most of it on a fancy shmancy house and car.

The next year came around, the harvest was poor and they'd sell their belongings at a loss. There are many money-rich but brain-poor wealth around. It's a merry-go-round of wealth transfer within the DR on a continual basis.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If they dared to drive them around like I did, they would be turned into metal junk heaps within months. That's how I trashed a white golden emblazed Porsche Cayenne within two months and the 4-door sedan was not even operable.

Learn to drive intelligently, you sound like a liability.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I would say without question that O/C is the biggest source of misinformation about the DR there is only second to AK47 in DR1. A Shame because he has said he is Dominican himself...bunch of negative non-sense only comes from his posts.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Head lines....so much for her statis!!!:p

In America that's it.

In the DR they are a social status symbol, they can make the difference in whether you are treated good or bad whenever you arrive at a place. They can even make the difference on business deals believe it or not. People prefer to pay the guy with the Mercedes than the guy who roams around in taxi, besides it creates an illusion of leverage on negotiations.

The BMW victim
News reports have identified a woman who was murdered on Tuesday evening as 29-year old Yesenia Altagracia Rivera Figuereo. She was parked outside the Politecnico Virgen de la Altagracia on Avenida Venezuela in eastern Santo Domingo when she was shot in the neck and then the BMW she was driving was set ablaze. Police say that the belongings found in the car included an ID 001-15437071.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Go to any major European city, even in the wealthier countries, and you will only see the occasional SUV and luxury car. In Santo Domingo however...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The BMW victim
News reports have identified a woman who was murdered on Tuesday evening as 29-year old Yesenia Altagracia Rivera Figuereo. She was parked outside the Politecnico Virgen de la Altagracia on Avenida Venezuela in eastern Santo Domingo when she was shot in the neck and then the BMW she was driving was set ablaze. Police say that the belongings found in the car included an ID 001-15437071.

Am I missing something, what is this to do with the thread?