Not being too flashy for Santo Domingo

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Maybe just an over abundance of pimps and drug dealers ? they seem to be doing well even as the economy spirals down and both types love flashy stuff. gimme a break with all this tripe.

Theres the rub Chuck. The money has a trail and I dont care what nobody says, it all aint legal. Even if it looks legal it aint legal, if you catch my drift.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The BMW victim
News reports have identified a woman who was murdered on Tuesday evening as 29-year old Yesenia Altagracia Rivera Figuereo. She was parked outside the Politecnico Virgen de la Altagracia on Avenida Venezuela in eastern Santo Domingo when she was shot in the neck and then the BMW she was driving was set ablaze. Police say that the belongings found in the car included an ID 001-15437071.

What the hell social status have anything to do with passion crimes?? Am I missing something here? Can you please elaborate?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
(Just) Another Femicide

The BMW victim
News reports have identified a woman who was murdered on Tuesday evening (...) she was shot in the neck and then the BMW she was driving was set ablaze.
This had nothing to do with her BMW, the car was not the target, nor wanted by her killer.
[BMW spares are expensive here...]

donP

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Bottom line to the OP, the type of car you are talking about driving will not particularly make you a target (so therefore, no you are not being too flashy for Santo Domingo), there are many of cars in Santo Domingo similiar to it, or more luxurious, what can make you a target, is how you carry yourself, where you associate, and with whom you choose to associate with. Use your common sense as I am sure you will, like you would anywhere else that your company transferred you to, and you will be fine.

Although many would try and make you feel that it is the most dangerous place in the world, as they tried to convince me of it, before I moved here; if you use common sense and care, all will be well.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
"If you read post #51 in THIS thread you will understand".....

Nope, still have no idea what place this has in this thread. There is no connection and even if there were then one example is not enough to prov a point.
Next!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The biggest threat to the OP in the city will be his attitude that he is something special because he is driving a Civic, and believes he will be living among penniless savages, somehow he has a status there. That alone will make him a target for some, only disliked by others and a laughing stock to most.
I'd cool the rich kid idea before you touch down here, if you think you have money, play like you do, others may believe you, then you may attract unwanted attention.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
In America that's it.

In the DR they are a social status symbol, they can make the difference in whether you are treated good or bad whenever you arrive at a place. They can even make the difference on business deals believe it or not. People prefer to pay the guy with the Mercedes than the guy who roams around in taxi, besides it creates an illusion of leverage on negotiations.

not just in D.R. cars are a big status symbol here in the U.S. too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, guys, this joke went too far now, let's stop pulling OPs leg. the truth is that most dominicans arrive to work on the back of their old burritos and the best vehicle you may see on the street is mule drawn carriage (horses are too expensive).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they say that short term mortality rate (within 40 days) after my operation is 1-6 for every 1000. so hold on to it, you never know :)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
they say that short term mortality rate (within 40 days) after my operation is 1-6 for every 1000. so hold on to it, you never know :)
Ok, but ony 30 days ok ? lol I gottta leave the table with sumptin no ?